Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 12:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 151.7/140.0/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default too many fat grams

I love the Protein Power low carb diet. The only thing that concerns me is i seem to be eating too many fat grams. My carb intake stays at 30 grams but my fat intake goes way up. Does anyone know of foods that are low in fat and low in carbs? I used to eat low fat(weight watchers) so it scares me to consume so many fat grams. If you buy low carb there is more fat and if you buy low fat then there are more carbs. Can't seem to win. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 12:26

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

grammy, I'm sure others will chime in and I don't have but a minute here, but one benefit of being a low-carber is that you find out how beneficial fat is. There is so much scientific informatin coming out that exonerate fat and show how good it is for you. Don't be afraid of it!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 12:35

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

What is your typical diet? How much fat, in your opinion, is too much fat? Fat is your friend in this diet, in the form of oils and animal fats mostly. Dairy shouldn't (in my opinion) be a major component of your fat consumption, but a small portion.

Other things to assess are, Do you feel good? Are you losing weight? Are you craving? Are you still hungry shortly after eating a meal? In a lot of ways, fat keeps us from stalling out with our weight loss, keeps us from craving things we shouldn't have, and keeps us full. Dietary fat does not make you fat.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 13:23

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy-s
I love the Protein Power low carb diet. The only thing that concerns me is i seem to be eating too many fat grams. My carb intake stays at 30 grams but my fat intake goes way up. Does anyone know of foods that are low in fat and low in carbs? I used to eat low fat(weight watchers) so it scares me to consume so many fat grams.
I spent some time with Protein Power too.

Weight Watchers scares people about fat grams because it's a higher carb plan, and it's not a good idea to get fuel from both sources at the same time. You are right that low carb advises to get food energy from fat and keep the carbs low.

I feel best with fat grams one and a half times my protein grams, per day. So if my protein requirement is 60 g, then my fat is 90 g or I am starving. Or if you like percent of calories, at least 60% or more from fat. Because my body's stored fat can only release so much at a time, and if I don't intake food energy, the whole machine shuts down.

Quote:
If you buy low carb there is more fat and if you buy low fat then there are more carbs. Can't seem to win.
Hm, sounds like you don't want food energy, because you have extra weight? As if by removing all sources of food energy, (fat and carbs), you might lose faster? I'm sorry little bear, it doesn't work that way. I tried to go as low fat as possible and that's how I know my lower limit of fat. Too low really is rotten feeling and doesn't even work.

After my 5 (!) failed attempts with weight watchers I always had this idea of metabolism as "burning calories" like a barbecue. As a little tiny deconditioned woman I had a little tiny hibachi so I had to eat little tiny food so my "furnace" (the hibachi) could burn it all.

Now I think very differently. Now I think of metabolism like a big strong stoker guy (or gal) shoveling coal into a furnace. (anyone remember that engine room scene from Titanic?) The stoker is my metabolism, the coal is strictly fuel - stored fat. The good food I eat makes the stoker really strong and fast, and the coal he is shoveling is my stored fat. So the better I eat, the more coal gets burned. But! I can't eat too much because if I eat more than the stoker needs, the extra food turns into more coal!

bwha ha ha ha
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 14:35
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Fat is good. Carbs are bad. Low fat is bad.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 18:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 151.7/140.0/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

thanks everyone for your input...a website i am using for keeping a food log says i should have 70g Protein and 47g Fat. It is really hard to stay around 47g fat when i am keeping my carbs at 30g. i always seem to be around 70g fat. Doesn't too much fat clog your arteries and you can get a stroke? i do feel great eating like this and i not seem to be hungry or tired. i am just concerned about too much fat.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 19:04

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 204/203/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I would have to say that being on a lc etc diet, you NEED fat. The reason you need fat is because that is what your body is needing to burn in order for your diet to work. If you cut back on your fat grams then its like telling your diet not to burn fat like it's suppose to.
Brandy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 19:36

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

No, dietary fat (butter, animal fats, things like these) do not clog arteries. Interesting that people who go on lc diets lower their bad cholesterol and their good cholesterol also is improved. Its all a huge lie that fat causes you to become fat and eventually kills you. Take a look at all the people here who sometimes need to ADD fat to their diets in order to break weight stalls and continue weight loss (myself included). There are tons and tons of articles on this site about that, and also tons of people who have lowered bad cholesterol and improved good by eating low carb and more fats. Do a google search on low carb diets and improving cholesterol levels. They are starting to do more studies on this and its now known that lc diets don't kill you.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 20:43
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I do:

65% fat
25% protein
10% carbs

I use fit day. I ignore all their advice.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 16:06
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you think fat clogs arteries it's time for you to read the Protein Power book again. The Drs Eades provide a lot of information about why this isn't so.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 16:18

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
thanks everyone for your input...a website i am using for keeping a food log says i should have 70g Protein and 47g Fat. It is really hard to stay around 47g fat when i am keeping my carbs at 30g. i always seem to be around 70g fat. Doesn't too much fat clog your arteries and you can get a stroke? i do feel great eating like this and i not seem to be hungry or tired. i am just concerned about too much fat.
That sounds like a bodybuilding or fitness type of food log - they sometimes say have good protein, but then turn around and say low fat, low carb. Ignore that part!

But NO low carb authors say to keep your fat lower than your protein, in grams per day, as far as I know.

No, too much fat doesn't clog your arteries, unless you also have a lot of carbs. Even then, it's the carbs that makes the difference, not the fat.

No, too much fat doesn't give you a stroke, unless you also have a ton of carbs. Same problem - excess carbs and then lots of fats, bad idea.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 16:28

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

I am eating at least 130 g of fat a day, most days way more and I have never felt better! Most of it is saturated from beef and coconut oil. If you want to eat low carb you have to eat high fat, high protein is really bad for you, probably almost as bad as high carb. A low carb diet should be high-fat, moderate protein and low carbs or else it hurts you.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 19:49

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
thanks everyone for your input...a website i am using for keeping a food log says i should have 70g Protein and 47g Fat. It is really hard to stay around 47g fat when i am keeping my carbs at 30g. i always seem to be around 70g fat.

70g protein x 4.1 cal/g = 287 calories
30g carb x 4.1cal/g = 123 cal
47g fat x 9.4cal/g = 442 cal

grand total 852 cal

Yes, that would be hard!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 21:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I love the Protein Power low carb diet. The only thing that concerns me is i seem to be eating too many fat grams. My carb intake stays at 30 grams but my fat intake goes way up. Does anyone know of foods that are low in fat and low in carbs? I used to eat low fat(weight watchers) so it scares me to consume so many fat grams. If you buy low carb there is more fat and if you buy low fat then there are more carbs. Can't seem to win. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

Yes, you'll win...eat the fat.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 23:41

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:

That's not Protein Power. Read as much of Eades' blog as you can. He advocates high fat.

Last edited by bike2work : Fri, Mar-05-10 at 12:19. Reason: typo