Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 04:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to CALP
Stats: 223/206/155
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Successful switch from Atkins

I've been 'sweating the switch,' but am happy to report that after 1 fairly strict week of CALP, I have lost 2 pounds.

Yes, I've had dessert almost every night but have been careful to balance by 1/3.

It's nice to know there is life after Atkins!

Success stories are sooooo important!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 15:29

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 175/164/135
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thats great news - it has been hard for me to find the life-after-atkins with CAD stories
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 17:44

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I also made the switch just last weekend and I'm happy with the results. Weight-wise, the scale is showing I gained a pound but in conjunction with switching plans I also upped my exercise and I read in a book that when you do that, you put on muscle mass pretty much right away, so I'm attributing the weight gain to that. Especially because I don't feel like I've gained weight.

I love CALP!

Tam
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 04:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to CALP
Stats: 223/206/155
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Hope and Tam,

CALP is a great plan - I finally started exercising too - it feels great.

I know what you mean about not FEELING like you've gained even tho' the scales sometimes show otherwise...all the evidence about muscle weighing more than fat, etc.

I would love to read more success stories from persons who have made their goal weight using CALP!

Where are you?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/204.5/140
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Update please!

I'm contemplating the switch from Atkins to CALP since I've lost nothing (I've gained 2 lbs) on Induction, and I'm wondering if I'd do better on CALP.

Any comments? Updates?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 17:15

Plan: General Lowcarbing
Stats: 188/185/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am currently on Atkins but struggling. Sheila recommended CAD to me. what does the CaLP stand for? Am glad to hear that some of you made transition from Atkins to Cad/Calp successfully. I am considering it but a bit nervous about the reward meal a day.

Roche
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 16:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

CALP means carbohydrate addict for life plan. It is an expanded version of the CAD plan and includes additional rules and tips.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:15

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Would Some Kind Soul please describe the essential differences between CAD, CALP and CA (Carb Addicts)? I know that they are all plans developed by the Drs. Heller, but that's about as far as my knowlege goes.

I generally understand Carb Addicts.....carbs only once every 24 hours, Reward Meals consisting of 1/3 protein, 1/3 LC veggies and 1/3 carbs, no carbs the rest of the day. Is this pretty much CALP?

I have heard that CAD is much the same, only you have one hour to complete your RM, and you can eat anything you wish during that hour, w/ little attention to balancing as CA does.

I own the CA book, and have followed it, but have never read the other books. What have I misunderstood?

Thank you in advance.....
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 17:38
Finding the Pieces

BF:

CALP and CA are just expansions of the original book CAD.

In the first book, they said at your reward meal you can have whatever you want, however much you want. They did make a passing mention to having a balanced meal. Of course carb addicts did not hear that and some used the reward meal as a carb bindge. Carbs taken to the extreme and not in the presence of other foods can still affect insulin levels. Additionally fake sugars cause carb addicts to react as if they are true sugars.

Therefore, in the next two books the Hellers clarified rules and fingered triggers, fake sugars, diet drinks, MSG, that can cause an insulin reaction and thus hunger, weight gains or stalls.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 10:28

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Everyone:

I've been lurking for a few days and, now that I have something to say, thought I'd join you!

After losing 10 lbs. in the first two weeks of Induction on Atkins, I totally stalled out for the next month, then gained back 2 lbs. without changing a thing about my diet. I'd read about CAD/CALP and decided to give it a try. Since Monday, I've added a few carbs (nothing over the top) to my evening meal and, as of this morning, have dropped 2 lbs. So, now I feel like I'm back on my way downward and couldn't be happier with this WOE. After Atkins, I almost feel like I'm cheating! It's such a relief to be able to relax a bit about carbs, but the funny thing is now that I'm able to add some at my Reward Meal, I find that I'm really not that interested and have just had a few bites. I've also not added dessert yet--think I have to ease into this program.

The bottom line for me is that I feel just relaxing about what I'm eating has had a very positive effect on me. Seeing the scale move downward hasn't hurt either!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 18:43
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Welcome Judytrue:

The frustrating thing about Atkins if your a true carb addict is that when you go off induction levels or eat more than 4 times a day, you stall. You can even gain weight!! People who don't have this condition have a hard time sometimes understanding that the plan, after induction, does not work with a carb addicts body chemistry.

Hang in there. I think you've found your road.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 19:04

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

For Heaven's sake, I never knew that! I've read about folks "stalling" for months, and always thought to myself that it's no stall, it's just not working.....

So all these people who actually do lose on Atkins are NOT carb addicts? Wow! No wonder it didn't work for me!!! How come nobody ever mentions this?

Well, I got the CALP book from the library and have read most of it....it IS the same as CA. I've switched from Atkins now.....yesterday was sorta the first day and today the first real attempt to follow CALP. I just hope it works!

I haven't yet weighed, so don't know how it's going, but I must say it is such a relief to shop w/o looking for the LC stuff that isn't there! I loaded up on grapefruit, apples, graham crackers and lotsa meat and vegetables at the store today....I feel as if I've been let out of jail!

Many, many thanks for the insight.....
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/221/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

I saw this posting and felt I just had to jump in because I am getting a little frustrated and hope I can find some words of wisdom as I'm not losing any more. I started Atkins July 27th and was losing every week. However, for 3 weeks, I didn't lose anything and in fact gained 2 lbs last week!

I haven't had any bread, pasta or sugar since I've started and seem to have reached a plateau. I feel myself weakening. This is the TOM but I never had a gain before and it is really scary.

I've wondered if it is the 2 large coffee with cream that I have every day (my only vice now) but I've done this since I started Atkins but lost weight at the beginning.

Should I just trust the program or think about switching to another one? I'd really appreciate your comments.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:36
Finding the Pieces

BF:

There are degrees of carb addiction and and uncontrollable appetites for carbs. However, Rachel Heller also tried Atkins and couldn't lose and even gained.

For a "true" carb addict, there is an escalating insulin surge that occurs with every incidence of eating or of the eating of carbs. Since insulin is the hunger hormone, hunger grows and grows even if you have just eaten. This chemically induced appetite can become uncontrollable.

So you see, it is the amount of carbs you eat each time but it is also the frequency with which you eat at all. Think of a superball that bounces higher each time it hits the floor. Now think of the well-meaning suggestion that you eat six times a day or that you take in more carbs.

This is why the Heller's have the various eating plans of two to four meals a day. Each carb addict needs to find his/her own eating program but no more than four times a day.

This is probably why, unknowingly, some Atkinsers refuse to leave induction even though their weight loss has stalled and their metabolism has lowered. They know instinctively and through experience that if they leave the strict carb levels of induction their hunger comes screaming back and they wind up binging.

The levels of carb addictiion can be even further complicated by SAD (seasonal affective disorder). SAD creates carb addicts in winter by the chemical reaction (lack of) in the brain serotin levels caused by lack of light intensity. You can imagine what effect carb addiction on carb addiction has. Often people are not carb addicts or can keep their addictions under control during late spring and summer month's, but when winter comes Look Out!!! Watch the posts in the confession booth and entries in journals. The sad thing is that people don't realize it's SAD and carb addictions affecting them. They just think they're out of control!! I think it is actually freeing when you realize you have an addiction, what triggers it and how you can regain control!!!

Again, there are different levels of carb addiction and for some levels perhaps Atkins works for the long term. However, for the severe carb addict, (just my opinion) being stuck forever to induction for control of your disease is not living.

Cayce
I can not tell you what plan to choose. I can only recommend that you read through "Which low carb plan is right for me", but I can recommend that you read through the CAD book and see if it describes you. There is also a test in the book that helps determine your level/severity of carb addiction.

Thank you all for your patience of sitting through my "lecture", I have lived with my carb addiction and SAD a long time and was learning controls and triggers before the Hellers 'book came out. For me the Hellers' book was a life saver.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:43
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Cayce

If you are not a carb addict, perhaps you are not getting enough calories and have damaged/slowed your metabolism.

The solution to that is more food, limits of 12-16 ounces of protein (my suggestion) and patience. The body is a miracle of adaption and you abuse it at your own risk. It's a shame to say that many on Atkins cut calories by cutting out veggies when they should be adding them. However when adding, especially at first I would recommend sticking with the very low carb ones. However, you can still eat a lot of veggies for very few carbs.