Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 23:28

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiehust
May I ask? What is JUDDD?

I think it's Johnson Up Day Down Day - one of the IF (intermediate fasting) plans? Google it and probably there's lots of info.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 22:24

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiehust
I am sooo ready to stop counting and making myself nuts. In the beginning i felt as if I spent half the day on fatsecret counting every morsel i ate. And then I would analyze the stats to death. NO MORE! I am eating lower carb/calorie no processed food and hopefully I will continue to lose (just weight...not my mind!)

Totally hear you on this!

NO MORE!
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 12:02

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I've been comparing the New Atkins diet and the Dukan diet and I like a lot of things about both of them. Dukan you don't count anything, but he says eat only lean cuts of meat. I have no problem with that on most foods except when it comes to chicken. I prefer legs, thighs and wings... just don't care for the white meat. So I've started Dukan this morning planning to do at least 4 or 5 days of protein which is what I heard most people do 4. However, I read in the book you can do up to 10 days. Not sure I can do 10 so will do 5 and decide then if I can go longer I will but if I can't I will go to the next phase of alternating the protein days with veggies added to protein days. I get the benefits of low carbing and I don't have to count carbs. However, I lean more toward Atkins. It is good to know that I can also do either one of these with Intermittent Fasting. I'll let you know how it goes.

I wonder if anyone else does this.

Last edited by pattyann68 : Mon, Aug-13-12 at 13:23.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 15:26

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
I like the idea of intuitive eating and seem to be practicing it, for the most part.

I prefer real food but will not obsess about it.

I feel a sense of freedom that I have not had in......forever.

I am 60 and need to enjoy my life!!

So glad to hear you are doing well.
I started IE several weeks ago, and it is difficult for me, because I have 53 years of "can't, should not, etc" programmed in. But it is joyful to eat exactly what I really want and to not impose any guilt. Food that way is much more satifsying. I now find I only binge when I eat something I didn't really want, and that doesn't really taste good.
I'm 66 and enjoying IE. What kicked me into this was doing a round of HCG, feeling horrible afterwards with health symptoms I hadn't had in a long time come back. And of course I could not keep the weight off anyway.
It finally came home to me (I'm a slow learner) that no matter what "diet" for health or weight reasons I went on, I am NEVER going to keep the weight off. I decided I didn't want to die on a diet, in the middle of deprivation. Don't know yet what longterm results will be. But I am sure having fun with food, and I can eat anything I'm not actually allergic to, so long as it is really what I want, and I do not overeat it. Even if it is ice cream, LOL.
sol
  #125   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-12, 19:37

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
So glad to hear you are doing well.
I started IE several weeks ago, and it is difficult for me, because I have 53 years of "can't, should not, etc" programmed in. But it is joyful to eat exactly what I really want and to not impose any guilt. Food that way is much more satifsying. I now find I only binge when I eat something I didn't really want, and that doesn't really taste good.
I'm 66 and enjoying IE. What kicked me into this was doing a round of HCG, feeling horrible afterwards with health symptoms I hadn't had in a long time come back. And of course I could not keep the weight off anyway.
It finally came home to me (I'm a slow learner) that no matter what "diet" for health or weight reasons I went on, I am NEVER going to keep the weight off. I decided I didn't want to die on a diet, in the middle of deprivation. Don't know yet what longterm results will be. But I am sure having fun with food, and I can eat anything I'm not actually allergic to, so long as it is really what I want, and I do not overeat it. Even if it is ice cream, LOL.
sol

Thanks for sharing.
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-12, 09:15

BF:

I'd like to know if anyone here has had any negative side effects from low carbing? I had to stop my last effort over a year ago due to total insomnia. That wasn't the first time that has happened to me on low carb, either.
  #127   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-12, 11:08

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I have problems with carbs too low, insomnia among them. I'm trying to figure out that sweet spot between those kind of symptoms and weight loss.

How many carbs are you considering low carb?
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

My idea of low carb is, and this is a guesstimate, anywhere from 60 - 100 carbs a day. I looked into Atkins, Doukan and South Beach - but in the end, have done my own version. Atkins - too much fat for me (gall bladder) - makes me too sick. Doukan, I think doesn't go into sugars as much as it should - he talks a lot about yogurt but doesn't mention sugar count. South Beach seems the most moderate to me - I like that it includes fruits but I don't like that it wants you to eat throughout the day (can't do that). So, in the end, my own, convoluted version of low carb - which is working out fine.

I think everyone needs to find what works for them - and if you can accept a slower pace of losing weight, something that is sustainable in the long run
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-12, 12:20

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I am intrigued about the sleep thing. I have sleep problems from time to time and the last couple of nights were quite bad, relatively. I think it's cheese, in my case. I ate quite a lot of cheese yesterday and the day before. It's only a theory. There is an old wives' tale that cheese gives you nightmares. I suppose I shall have to cut out cheese for a while to test the theory. I must say being able to eat cheese is one of the great things about low carb for me. But maybe I shouldn't eat it in the evening.
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-12, 16:12

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

It could be the cheese per se, or it could be an excess of calcium. Many people find when they start supplementing with magnesium that they sleep better. Calcium and magnesium work in conjunction and also antagonistically so the proper ratio is important.

I've been reading about insomnia and low carb diets and have seen various discussions and suggestions, such as:
  • Don't eat protein at least 2-3 hours before bed.
  • Eat majority of the day's carbs in the evening.
  • Take magnesium. Some people find magnesium stimulating and some not, so some experimentation may be in order as to what time of day to take it.
  • Take magnesium and manganese, or eat foods that contain them such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chocolate.
  • Coconut oil before bed. (Something about how it works in the liver).

• Apple cider vinegar before bed. ?

Both of these articles are interesting:

The Biochemistry of Insomnia http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/2011...ry-of-insomnia/

Thirteen tips for a great nights sleep
http://www.nutritional-healing.com....0nights%20sleep

The above 13 tips article says:

Avoid tyramine containing foods (bananas, avocado, cheese, sour cream, pizza, fermented dairy products, beer, wine, MSG, fermented soy products, pickled salamis, liver, caviar, beans) after 5 PM as tyramine alters brain neurotransmitter levels inhibiting sleep.
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 04:55

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

That sounds like great advice. I am taking a magnesium and vitamin C supplement most mornings. It does seem to help. I am not sure about potassium. Maybe I should take that too.

I slept well last night till the alarm went off at 6 am! :-) Monday again.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-13, 14:50

Plan: low carb but no counting!
Stats: 96/86/70 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hello again,
I lost 10 kilos with low-carbing (about 30-50 carbs per day) in about 3.5 months

I stopped the diet, too much work and I didn't have the time to cook, I got addicted to sugar again, and then you know... I was getting hungrier and hungrier. This went on for 3 months, until I took the courage to step on the scale, and I hadn't gained weight! I had lost one more kilo
I exercised, perhaps that was the reason behind the mysterious weight loss. I used to eat a package of biscuits per day

Anyway, now I am back on track, second day of a very loose induction (I eat fruits and legumes) and a mild headache with a bit tiredness

I don't want to do strict low-carb again, mainly because I do not have the time to prepare food, so I will have to eat sometimes tosts (hopefully with whole meal bread) or whole meal pasta, and about 4-5 fruits per day. But the focus will be on protein on each meal.

Now my question. Has anybody of you done this? Is this low-carb enough (80-120 carbs) to loose weight, even slowly?
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-13, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber
Now my question. Has anybody of you done this? Is this low-carb enough (80-120 carbs) to loose weight, even slowly?

I personally think one could lose weight even with more carbs than that. Depending on the individual and how it is done.

I'm not ever going back on very low carb, or even low carb, as I get immediate severe insomnia (like not sleeping AT ALL). I can't live like that, so LC is right out for me.

Maybe I should leave these forums, but I still learn and get a lot of things to think about, so I stay. Right now, I'm doing or trying to do Intuitive Eating, as allowed by my allergies. Any food that doesn't cause an allergic reaction is on my menu, regardless of any other consideration. My diet of non-allergenic foods is so limited I can't deal with any other restrictions right now.
sollyb
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 17:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 259/225/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I am trying to stay between 50-60 carbs a day, but I am wondering if I should worry about calories.
I generally keep under 1400 calories but that is without deliberately counting. Also, what is the average carb intake for adults?
  #135   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-13, 10:16

BF:

According to The Pocket Fat, Carbohydrate & Fiber Counter, carbs should be 45-65 percent of total calories. Equals 270-390 g carbs based on 2400-3000 calories a day (not a weight loss diet).