Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 18:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/200/200 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default Anthiny Colpo interview: Low carb diets are good

Interesting article on Anthony Colpo's web site. He interviews Robb Wolf and seems to be trying to get Wolf to agree with him about low carb diets being "bad for you." However Wolf says nothing of the sort. Wolf praises Atkins dieters ans says it dramatically helped his health. One thing Wolf did say and I believe is true is that those who are already very lean, and doing heavy exercise (marathons, cycling etc) should not be following a low carb diet. But those who have a significant amount of weight to lose lo0w carb diets are a God send. Anthony Colpo fails to deal with this argument. Instead he just keeps saying "low carb diets arent good for marathon runners etc" NO KIDDING COLPO!!!! HERE IS ROBB WOLF DURING THE INTERVIEW:

R: "Yeah, I see our path through all this being really similar. So, as I mentioned above, I was really sick at one time. The gastrointestinal problems I had were epic, I had terrible blood sugar control. I was a mess. My first foray into “Paleo” was actually just your standard Atkins, low carb approach. I’m not a religious person but the change in my health that occurred when I dramatically dialled down my carb intake and entered ketosis was so shocking I might have believed there was a God! All the gastrointestinal problems evaporated, I had rock solid energy and cognitive function. I was sold. I read about some cyclic low carb approaches and started tinkering with that and was able to get really lean and have great performance for what I was doing at the time: some weight lifting , Capoeira and gymnastics. I used a low carb approach with clients and the results were fantastic for folks who were metabolically broken. For my hard chargers though…folks doing Crossfit or MMA, I just could NOT get the low carb or even really controlled low carb approach to work. The extremes of food intake did not seem to lend themselves to a really hard training (glycogen predominant) athlete. So my prescription looked pretty mainstream as far as macros, but I definitely saw benefit from getting the bulk of those carbs from “Paleo” sources.

I still really like low carb as a therapeutic intervention for the right folks, and we have a lot of metabolically broken people. But I view it as a tool instead of a panacea."

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 07:49

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Got a link?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-13, 00:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsrule
Interesting article on Anthony Colpo's web site. He interviews Robb Wolf and seems to be trying to get Wolf to agree with him about low carb diets being "bad for you." However Wolf says nothing of the sort. Wolf praises Atkins dieters ans says it dramatically helped his health. One thing Wolf did say and I believe is true is that those who are already very lean, and doing heavy exercise (marathons, cycling etc) should not be following a low carb diet. But those who have a significant amount of weight to lose lo0w carb diets are a God send. Anthony Colpo fails to deal with this argument. Instead he just keeps saying "low carb diets arent good for marathon runners etc" NO KIDDING COLPO!!!! HERE IS ROBB WOLF DURING THE INTERVIEW:

R: "Yeah, I see our path through all this being really similar. So, as I mentioned above, I was really sick at one time. The gastrointestinal problems I had were epic, I had terrible blood sugar control. I was a mess. My first foray into “Paleo” was actually just your standard Atkins, low carb approach. I’m not a religious person but the change in my health that occurred when I dramatically dialled down my carb intake and entered ketosis was so shocking I might have believed there was a God! All the gastrointestinal problems evaporated, I had rock solid energy and cognitive function. I was sold. I read about some cyclic low carb approaches and started tinkering with that and was able to get really lean and have great performance for what I was doing at the time: some weight lifting , Capoeira and gymnastics. I used a low carb approach with clients and the results were fantastic for folks who were metabolically broken. For my hard chargers though…folks doing Crossfit or MMA, I just could NOT get the low carb or even really controlled low carb approach to work. The extremes of food intake did not seem to lend themselves to a really hard training (glycogen predominant) athlete. So my prescription looked pretty mainstream as far as macros, but I definitely saw benefit from getting the bulk of those carbs from “Paleo” sources.

I still really like low carb as a therapeutic intervention for the right folks, and we have a lot of metabolically broken people. But I view it as a tool instead of a panacea."

Thoughts?

I beg to differ!

http://endurancebuzz.com/2013/02/08...-100-mile-dash/

Rocky Raccoon Trail Run 2013 Results - Mike Morton and Nicole Studer Win 100 Mile Dash in South Texas

So what's the deal with the string cheese Mike handed Liza Howard before the start? A good luck charm? Mike's leftover breakfast? A gift to the race directors?

Apparently Mike had a reason.

"I switched to a high fat diet about three months ago. I'm in a state of Ketosis; that is when the body turns fat into Ketones for fuel rather than using Glucose from carbohydrates. The tough part for me has been finding a good "comfort food" and cheese with its high fat content has filled that void. The switch has had many benefits but it is tough to give up carbs. The rewards are worth it to me so far. I don't have the crazy cravings and my energy and mental clarity have been great. Rocky Raccoon 100 was the first race since switching. I had been eating a huge volume of food and if you eat a lot you poop a lot! By eating a high fat diet I eat less volume, have a flattened energy curve and don't need to poop five or six times in a 100. More to follow on the diet as the year goes along!"

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...ff-volek-study/

Western States 100 – Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study

Earlier this summer, Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek, authors of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, headed to the Western States 100-mile Endurance Run, to study how runners in this grueling race fared, literally, for they were checking how the athletes performed, AND how they ate. Steve Phinney says that more and more endurance athletes are choosing low-carb, high-fat. They’re choosing this diet both to get over digestive problems that hit in such a demanding event, and to win the race, and win it BIG! That’s what Tim Olson did this year. A self-proclaimed low-carb eater, Tim won the race – with a record-breaking pace.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-13, 09:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

interesting
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 09:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think Colpo would argue that if you research it these people (who are lean and doing marathons, cycling etc) arent actually eating a low carb diet even they they say they are...certainly not a ketogenic diet
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 09:33

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
I think Colpo would argue that if you research it these people (who are lean and doing marathons, cycling etc) arent actually eating a low carb diet even they they say they are...certainly not a ketogenic diet

Perhaps he WOULD say that, and in fact he DID say that, in comments on the tudiabetes page. Phinney and Volek will be releasing their data later this month. I prefer to wait to see the data before reaching any conclusions.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

The recent winner of a 100 mile marathon was a ketogenic paleo dude. I think it's going to be the trend of the future for endurance athletes.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 17:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

what was the guys name who won the marathon on a ketogenic diet?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 17:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mike Morton

http://www.runketo.com/2013/02/mike...genic-diet.html

Drs. Phinney and Volek are working with endurance athletes on switching to running on fat versus glucose. They say with glucose you've got a 2-3000 calorie gas tank, or ketones (or fat) your gas tank is 40,000 or more calories. They discuss this in their Performance book.

http://primalnorth.blogspot.com/201...o-athletes.html
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-13, 18:33
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I expect a lot of the failures are due to people not taking a long enough time, and or not being strict enough to become fully adapted to using fat as the main energy source --instead of carbs and glycogen.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-13, 10:33

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoreyTK
Got a link?

Here's one:

http://anthonycolpo.com/interview-r...eine-addiction/
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-13, 10:50

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

And here is Part 3 of a 3 part series Robb did on LC:

http://robbwolf.com/2013/01/09/thou...episode-3-hope/

There are links for Parts 1 and 2 at the top of that page.