Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 14:12

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet = Gastrointestinal Cancers?

So Paul over at Perfect Health Diet says Optimal Diet is linked to gastrointestinal cancers. Thoughts anyone as to the veracity of this? Or, if true, why?

Here's what he wrote...

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/1...stinal-cancers/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 15:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks for posting this, Jeff! I am very interested in the debate that will surely follow!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 15:21

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Paul Jaminet's site is not on my reading list, his entire thesis seems to be that its impossible to be healthy if you dont have tubers/potatoes in your diet.

/whatever
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 19:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
So Paul over at Perfect Health Diet says Optimal Diet is linked to gastrointestinal cancers. Thoughts anyone as to the veracity of this? Or, if true, why?

Here's what he wrote...

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/1...stinal-cancers/

hi Jeff,

This topic has been debated - and debunked - here before . Check out these previous threads:
Long time OD dieter sucumbs to stomach cancer .. August 2010

Optimal Diet Linked to Gastrointestinal Cancers? .. November 2010

hth

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 19:42

BF:

Thanks Doreen. I had a feeling processed meats were the culprit, but wan't sure. It seemed VERY unlikely that a mere absence of carbohydrates would generate cancer.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 19:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
Paul Jaminet's site is not on my reading list, his entire thesis seems to be that its impossible to be healthy if you dont have tubers/potatoes in your diet.

/whatever

Don't forget white rice. Gotta have white rice for maximum health and longevity.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 19:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
Thanks Doreen. I had a feeling processed meats were the culprit, but wan't sure. It seemed VERY unlikely that a mere absence of carbohydrates would generate cancer.
Actually, processed meats aren't implicated at all. In the August 2010 thread (link in my previous post), I'd posted a study which showed that processed and refined carbs, not cured meats or pickled vegetables, were associated with increased risk for GI cancers. Here's the link to the original study abstract ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15231449

Quote:
Nutr Cancer. 2004;48(2):149-59.

Diet and stomach cancer risk in Warsaw, Poland.

Lissowska J, Gail MH, Pee D, Groves FD, Sobin LH, Nasierowska-Guttmejer A, Sygnowska E, Zatonski W, Blot WJ, Chow WH.

Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, Cancer Center and M. Sklodowska-Curie Institute of Oncology, Warsaw, Poland. lissowsj~coi.waw.pl

Abstract

Some of the world's highest rates of stomach cancer are found in Poland. Reasons for the increased incidence are not known, but high intake of sausages and other preserved foods and low intake of fresh fruits and vegetables may be involved. A case-control study comprising residents newly diagnosed with stomach cancer during 1994-96 and controls randomly selected from the general population was conducted in Warsaw, Poland. Standardized interviews were conducted to ascertain usual consumption of 118 common foods and beverages and other exposures. Using data from direct interviews with 274 cases and 463 controls, odds ratios of stomach cancer were calculated as estimates of risks associated with dietary factors, adjusting for age, sex, education, smoking, and caloric intake. Risk of stomach cancer was inversely related to intake of total fruits and dark green-yellow vegetables and to indices of vitamins C and E and alpha- and beta-carotenes. However, risk was not significantly increased among those with high intake of pickled/salted vegetables and sausages. Risks were positively associated with increased intake of breads/cereals/rice/pasta and other refined grains, as well as a high carbohydrate index. Our findings add to the evidence of a protective effect of fruits and certain vegetables on stomach cancer risk, but do not indicate that high intake of sausage and other preserved foods typical in the Polish diet has contributed to the country's elevated stomach cancer incidence. Our data also suggest that high carbohydrate consumption may influence risk, but further confirmation is needed.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 06:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Just follow Jaminet's quoted sources. I find it hard to take him seriously any time I do that.

With the gastrointestinal thingum, his "source" is a comment on the Hyperlipid blog.... one that gives its source as this study where the abstract concludes;

Quote:
These results indicate that long-term (>1 year) compliance with a low-CHO high-fat "optimal diet" does not induce deleterious metabolic effects and does not increase the risk for cardiovascular disease, as evidenced by maintenance of adequate glycemic control and relatively low values for conventional cardiovascular risk factors

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19083495

The comment on hyperlipid; (poster "Flo")
Quote:
Hm, I don't know what to tell you Peter. I myself am rather disillusioned regarding the diet itself. And probably biased against -- as I've got the feel of the community and its leaders.

If you would like some details: the man was 64, on OD for 12-14 years, diagnosed 2 years ago, reported in good health before that. He was one of the participants in prof. Pilis' study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19083495).
The impression we get is that there's rather high occurrence of gut cancer, including stomach, duodenum, colon...

I myself don't follow OD any more, less yolks, less fat (1.5g per kg), esp. less saturated, much more veggies and some fruit, little dairy, low calorie, no frying, very little cooking, mostly iberico & serano ham, some grassfed raw liver (I know :P). Generally - I'd like to call it 'a balanced diet', paleo-style

Flo does little or nothing to support her position.... and doesn't really need to. Everybody has the right to their opinion, she's not presenting a thesis, just blowing off steam in a blog comment section. Jaminet's presenting himself as an expert... he needs more rigour than I've seen from him.

The blather about mucin deficiency... is an attempt to explain a phenomenon (increased gastrointestinal cancers on a low carb diet) which hasn't actually been established.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 00:44
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I personally think that the conclusion is BS and that the GI cancers were within the statistical norm when compared withthe general population.