Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 14:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default What has been the hardest part of your weight loss?

Now that we are at or near our goals, its always a good idea to relfect on our journeys. Deborah aka jonahsafta asked me what was the hardest part for me?

Here is my answer....

The beginning was hard for me, phase I was torchered by horrible withdrawal from all the processed carbs I had been stuffing my body with. I felt really ill, achy, weak, headaches....a real detox!!

I kept eating fruit while in phase I thinking that it'd help me to feel better. But it did not and it just took my body time before it felt better. When I finally did begin to feel human again, I did 2 weeks perfect on phase I.

Also, when I first started I didn't know my plan well at all. The book itself does not give enough practical info and it was not until I found a meal plan chart did I start to see this plan as livable.

Eventhough it was hard, I did not stop because I was driven to make this happen...I was determined to figure it out and make this my new way of life.

What was hard for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 16:20
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

The hardest part for me was the fear that I would just gain the weight back. I have never lost weight like this, and am having to trust that as long as I stay on plan I will be fine. I have had to accept that this is how I will eat.
E
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 16:44

Plan: No starch, no sugar...
Stats: 266/207/180 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hhmn...

Thoughful question. I would say that the hardest part for me has been realizing (gradually) that though I look different now inside I am still the same person. I ultimately will have the same anxieties and issues to deal with - plus a couple new ones! There is a little bit of a mind mess realizing that weight loss in and of itself does not take care of EVERYTHING. In fact the idea of maintaining brings up a new set of subtle challenges to deal with and I will have to work hard to learn that ultimately we all must continue 'chopping wood and carrying water' every day.

Also - like Enomarb - right now I am fearing gaining back the weight I have lost. Truth be told I fear losing all control and gaining back all the weight overnight as soon as I start to eat 'normally'. (And I never ate normally at any other time so normal will be new, too!) Losing was clear. Maintaining is muddy!

SF

Last edited by stacyfitz : Wed, Jun-07-06 at 16:45. Reason: correction
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 16:56
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Hardest was not staying on plan for me but handling other peoples remarks and how THEY adjusted to my changing size...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

The hardest part for me is finding the balance in maintenance..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 17:32

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

So far my greatest challenges have been, a) adjusting to the fact that I look different, am perceived differently by people than I used to be and learning NOT to go to the "big girl" sizes automatically when I shop AND, b) relaxing so I'm not constantly concerned about gaining back my fat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 18:32

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

The hardest part for me was definitely the premaintenance stage....feeling really unsure about myself. Not sure what size I wanted to be, not sure WHO I wanted to be, facing that a lot had changed while I wasted years away being fat, tired, and sick.

Weight loss mode was easy. I enjoyed what I ate, had no desire to cheat, the weight fell off, and I felt physically fantastic within a week or so of starting.

Then I got near goal, and I suddenly got hit with all of these feelings....kind of like waking up out of a 10 year coma. Exciting and good, but at the same time, mourning what I had missed, realizing I am not a spring chicken anymore even tho I felt like one, having to reinvent myself again, and in a way, find a new way of life that I couldn't physically have before. Being a couch potato just wasn't good enough any more.

For the most part, these issues have passed, but I sometimes still feel a little out of sorts with my "new body". I'm still in disbelief too, that I actually did it...that I look in the mirror and no longer see that 216 pound blob that I was just a little over a year ago.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 07:58

BF:

I agree at the body image thing..i remember once looking at a store window, and truly NOT recognizing myself..peoples negative comments havent meant much to me..I have a quick tongue that can whip up a retort before i realize i probably shouldnt say it..
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 09:49

BF:

Thanks MeBLady for your post. I am in premaintenance (probably 160 today and eating my guts out about whether to stop here and learn to maintain or go to 155 or 150. It is crazy making!) and it is very reassuring to hear that this part was hard for someone else too.

Have a lovely day!

Stacy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 10:38
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyfitz
Thanks MeBLady for your post. I am in premaintenance (probably 160 today and eating my guts out about whether to stop here and learn to maintain or go to 155 or 150. It is crazy making!) and it is very reassuring to hear that this part was hard for someone else too.

Have a lovely day!

Stacy

Hi Stacy!

Just want you to know that you are not alone. I too wondered about my goal weight and have decided that as long as I stay below 160, that I'm OK. I'd like to maintain at 155 to have that bit of wiggle room.

I think that we each need to find our cutoff weight in maintenance and when the scale hits that number, I go right back to my phase I.

There are 3 things that successful losers do and I can only remember 2 of them...sorry!!

1-One is to weigh regularly
2- exercise daily
3- ?react to fluctuations on the scale and don't let it get away from you

I'm going to look for the actual three things as that last one I just made up!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 15:22

BF:
Default Thanks Judy!

Thank you Judy - that really helps. I will take those three things - including the one you created!!!

Stacy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 10:00

Stats: 169/142/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:37%/24%/22%

The hardest part for me was actually realizing I am worth this and I can be attractive on the outside.
After years of very negative relationships I never felt beautiful. I was always told how fat I was and that noone would ever want me again. I was over 200 pounds for years and really believed what I was told.
Now that I have lost the weight I feel gorgeous. I don't care if anyone else see's me that way but I do. Doing double takes all the time can be distracting when I walk past a mirror but for the first time in my life I feel worthy of a man's attention that will treat me as beautiful as I feel.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 16:38

BF:

I love the eating...but struggling with actually embracing being thin, is so difficult sometimes...

am i the only one?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

1) The last 10 pounds.
2) Maintenance.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 22:04
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
I love the eating...but struggling with actually embracing being thin, is so difficult sometimes...

am i the only one?

I'm betting that you're not the only one Deborah..but for me...I'm totally loving being at this weight!! I still have deep fears of going to back up.