Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 08:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Breakfast Club v1.0

I was curious about changing the meal timing strategies that I've been doing for about the last year. Those have worked but I think I'd like to become more flexible - or see if there is any measurable benefit from slight adjustment.

Inspired by this article, Dr. Jason Fung and others thoughts that have been published prior...

https://idmprogram.com/eat-fast-break-fast/

And taking a little bit from Buddhist Vinaya, I plan on limiting my eating from "dawn to noon" - but since I live in world that I've agreed to work early and the sun doesn't get up till much later, my take on it will be eating from "Waking till Noon" This is the opposite of mainly how I eat now and that is to skip breakfast and lunch and concentrate eating in the evening - sometimes till right up to sleep. This might not be the most opportune time to eat. We shall see if any changes happen.

And lastly, I will make modifications to this plan to accommodate social functions, mostly family. The is no need to fast and make others feel uncomfortable, I can adjust that day and skip morning meals. I don't go to many social functions so I'm lucky in that way

PS: I will write notes and any observations here. Anyone is welcome to join, comment or question. I plan on re-assessing or writing summary on or after January 1, 2018 if my mind and body survive until then I'll likely start this Monday as my work week is more structured than my week-ends.

PSS: All of the above is subject to change. All code releases that are v1.0 are usually very buggy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 08:51

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Breakfast Club might be a bridge too far for me, but the arguments for eating earlier because insulin rises more for an evening meal than a morning meal must have been fermenting in my brain, because my one meal a day is now lunchtime, not dinner or high tea. It will be interesting to see how the morning window works for you. My first thought is that it would clash with my preference to exercise fasted.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 21:59

BF:

Slow start to this thing. I had breakfast egg thing this morning - picture tomorrow. The skipped out afternoon work and went foiling for about 4 hours. I was hungry afterwards and broke down and got a ham steak from a local meat shop. about a pound - it was good. Still hungry later so I had 1/2 a cucumber.

It's almost like I'm better off NOT eating anything if I want to make it the rest of the day. Last week I fasted for a 72hrs no problem. We'll keep trying this tho till the end of the year. More eggs tomorrow and bring in some lunch thing I guess, probably collard greens I have frozen.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 22:35

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it

My limited experience has been that if I eat too early in the day OR not enough calories; I will be hungrier in the evening. Which is defeating the purpose, in my humble opinion. The sweet spot has been not noon, but between 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I am a late owl and do not go to bed early or get up early, so it works for me.
I wish you well in your N=1 experiment.
Please keep us posted.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-17, 04:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

As I've stated before I eat breakfast every day. It is my main meal. Then I eat another meal usually in the early afternoon, smaller than my breakfast and I absolutely never (well almost never) eat after 6PM. At Sravasti Abbey they follow the Vinaya rule of no eating after noon with the exception of what they call a "medical meal" for those people whose health seems to suffer without food in the later afternoon. Are you familiar with the book "The Buddha's Diet: the ancient art of losing weight without losing your mind"? Of course the Buddhist rules of eating were not designed as a weight loss plan but as a way of controlling one's appetites.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-17, 05:24

BF:

Thanks for the comments Mojo and Jean, I have not read "The Buddha's Diet" sound interesting. I've finished my morning meal (sun not risen yet, shame!) and am tossing in some frozen collard greens and porkfat for meal before noon. I guess, as teaser pointed out on some research and dr. fung too, the hunger hormone seems to be highest in the evening. I'm pretty sure with change of habit my body will adjust to a new feeding routine. I know how NOT to eat (fast), but I'm not an expert at fasting AFTER eating 8-) - requires attention and practice I suppose.

Another day planning on skipping out of work early and windsurf foiling again and tomorrow taking the whole day of - winds are up this time of year.

Here are my last 2 first morning meals... sort of like egg pizzas or somthing, one even has sauerkraut on it - a gassy combination

4 eggs yesterday...

5 eggs this morning (no sausage )...

#7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-17, 20:07

BF:

I've done well on eating breakfast each day. Mostly stuff like these egg things...

HOWEVER, i have eaten food after noon each day. Especially after heavy activity, which happened each day last week (including today) with the exception of Tuesday.

This attempt to change eating habits is much more tricky than I thought it would be. Control of ones appetites is an illusion. Practicing good habits takes practice, lots of it in my case.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 00:46

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Hi THud,
All the best for this behavior change effort! I attempted to shift to exactly this, as I love a good big breakfast, but two things have mitigated against it: 1) wanting to eat dinner with family including the many social events we seem to have, and 2) Dr Bernsteins comments about how carbs should be balanced through the days for diabetics, he recommends breakfast be none or very small. The pics look great, and very like what my DH and I tend to do on weekends for brunch. My mother was Australian, and her breakfasts were unabashedly meat and exotic body part-ridden, brains, and kidneys, and liver...I can eat anything for breakfast, and I've managed to bring my family along on that journey -- we've lived in so many different places, where the traditions of what you eat to break fast are so varied (and yet always kind of taken as being the only way ) . I love just about anything in the morning. all the best!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 05:07

BF:

Hi Mama Sebo, I'm not a big fan of breakfast. If I eat nothing in the morning I don't miss it. But if I do eat I do enjoy it. I'll also note that my feeding after noon has a bunch of habit built in. I wasn't that hungry last night but the thought of "repairing" my body from damage done yesterday and the thought of doing it again today in the cold water helped sway my decision to eat.

I do like those oat fiber shirataki noodles !

Getting ready to make breakfast again today even though I'm not particularly hungry, again, going against advice I've heard and parroted on this board - myself included
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-18, 08:52

BF:

This experiment didn't really go anywhere. I'm going to pick it back up and make an effort to follow the eating window, I'm not requiring myself to be 100 percent but am more interested in how I might change my mind about NOT eating after noon. It seems like a big deal in my head but that's probably about all it is.

I'm going to try to practice this for a 3 month period we work on stuff like that over here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...353#post9248353
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:59

BF:

Giving it another try today. Head out into the cold...

First Breakfast:

Second Breakfast:

#12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 07:42

BF:

I was able to EBN yesterday. Yeah. One thing that was helpful was saying to myself that I could have anything I wanted for breakfast... Tomorrow.

Trying again today but this time I'll be going into evening under heavy load of activity. I'll see how hungry I am then.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 00:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Glad to see ou are continuing your n=1 experiment. I occasionally eat break fast , on the weekends with my kids. During the week they are out the door so fast to get to school that I skip breakfast.

Overall, eating after noon works for me, but I try to be flexible!