Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 15:41

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default New to SB and a little worried~

Hello~ *s*
I have been doing Atkins for a long time and have had a lot of success at it.....though not so great for the last 6 months. I read the sugar busters book recently and it backed up what I have been feeling for a long time......that a more well balanced approach would be better for the long haul.
I am nervous though after not eating any legal carbs except for lc veggies for so long that it won't work for me. Has anyone had any experience w/ Sugar Busters after Atkins?? Would love any thoughts!! Thanks~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 07:11

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Hello Allura!

For some a re-introduction of starchy carbs causes an initial weigh gain of a couple of pounds. However that is water and will soon disappear as your body adjusts. So not to panic if that happens.

I limit my starchy carb (rice, pasta, grains, sweet potatoes, bread) to no more than 3 servings a day. More than that I don't gain but I don't lose either... happy thought for maintenance though.

I'm a "turtle" when it comes to losing (age, sluggish metabolism, hysterectomy at a young age) but I found that I lost at the same rate I did when I was on a more restrictive LC plan. So its all a matter of finding what works the best for your own particular body.

I suggest that you give it a try for a few weeks --- see how your body responds and go from there.

HTH
molly (who is hoping for Spring real soon)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 14:01

BF:

Hi Molly~
Thanks for posting~ *s* 3 serving sounds pretty generous after having none for a long time~
I have a question...........in the blue sugar busters book they have fruit served w/breakfast......ie......cereal w/ berries...........is that allowed??? I bought the Sugar Bust with the Brennans today and they say NO! Don't est fruit mixed with anything but alwasy 30 minutes before or two hours after. What do you do personally?
I searched all over the place this weekend for Uncle Sams cereal and couldn't find it anywhere~ That sounds like a good, quick bkfst~
I had so much fun shopping for groceries this week!!
I am really looking forward to more variety~ Thanks for the imput........I have copied some of the recipes you posted and am looking forward to trying some.
Hope you are doing well~ Nice to meet you~
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 14:02

BF:

I hope I don't drive you crazy with question~ How many servings of fruit can you have a day??
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 14:37

BF:

I found the answer on the forum .......will keep reading before I ask any more! *s* Thanks~
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugarbusters
Stats: 288/244/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hello! Welcome to SugarBusters! I did Atkins for almost four years before I switched to SB. I switched because I could not lose on Atkins, no matter how few carbs I ate. I have thyroid problems, and insulin resistance, and I struggle with any diet. Once I switched to SB, I did start losing, though very slowly. I am doing better now, after a year, because my doctor increased my T3 thyroid hormone, but I still think SB helps. I have read the thryoid needs carbs to convert T4 to T3, which seems to be true for me.

Like Molly, I limit my starchy carbs to two or three a day. I eat about three servings of fruit or less a day. I have never been rigid about when I eat it. The idea behind eating it seperately is to avoid disgestive trouble from eating it with other foods. I try to eat my fruit alone, but if I have something that combines fruit with other food, like say oat bran muffins, I don't worry about it. If I wanted berries on my cereal, I would go ahead and have it. If you find it gives you an upset stomach, then don't do it.

You have done really well, and I hope you can continue on SB. I love it, because it is so easy to follow, and the food is really good. I like being able to have fruit and veggies and a starchy carb if I want. I hope you find SB will work as well for you!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 20:50

BF:

Monet~ *s* Thanks so much for your post. I lost great on Atkins for a long time and then nothing..........I could maintain but not lose. I hope this will be suited to me and my body. I want to get to goal so much. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.............figured I'd give it a month and see how my body reacts. *keeping fingers crossed* Thanks for the support and the advice~ It's nice to meet you~
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 09:59

Plan: Sugar Busters (former atkid)
Stats: 285+/255.5/180?
BF:
Progress:
Question Another Atkid Crosses over!

I am new to sugar busters but NOT lowcarbing. I have been an atkid for about 4 years maintaining a 40 lbs loss and havea lot further to go. I switched off tho because if I ate one more hunk of cream cheese or fatty chicken.. Id die :P I needed more a balanced approach. Man.. I was so happy this morning .. I had OATMEAL!!! And the other night I had a small (1/2 cup) of cous cous with my dinner.. it was like I was cheating.

The questions I have on sugar busters are

#1. How are you "counting" the splenda sweetened cranberry blends? 10 calories per serving sweetened with splenda. Is it a fruit?

#2 What "bars" are good ones to eat? I dont mean the carbolite candy - I know myself well enought o know i need to stay the hell away from sugar alcohols. What do you think about Luna bars? They average 22 carbs or so each but they have no glycerin (common staller) or the sugar alcohols.

#3 If I am eating about 1800 calories per day (current weight of about 257) .. is this ok? I figured out my BMR and its well over 3000 calories per day. If I ate that, how would my portions break down - as in fruits, grains, meats, dairy?

I know sugar busters isnt a calorie diet persay, its about wise choices, portion control and balance while cutting out refined sugars.. Im not new to that because of atkins.

Any help is appreciated. I need to get my but in gear and post on the other forums and share some of my recipes

Thanks so much

Michelle
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 06:59

BF:

MeeshRenee~ Hello~ *s* I have been doing this for less than a week so I don't have many answers.........I don't know about the juice stuff as I haven't seen that yet........as for the bars............I did not do well with them on Atkins.........and the reason I like sugar busters so much is that I really feel that NOT having the fake food is a good thing.........everyone does what works best for them and that is the beauty of lc'ing........but I feel better the more real I keep the food.
I haven't counted calories in a long time and I don't want to do it now..........I am just trying to be reasonable in my portions, make sure I get enough protein throughout the day and have two snacks as well as the three meals.......I figure I will be okay if I do that.. Still in the atkins mindset after all this time and am learning as I go. I wish you the best!

I am down 1.5 lbs !! Finally under the 200 mark!!!