Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 10:37

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 287/215/150
BF:dunno
Progress: 53%
Question whole wheat flour

hey everyone,

does anybody know how well whole wheat flour works with certain types of cooking? hold on, i should be specific....like does it work for breading meat? Can I use it in recipes for Cream of broccoli soup when it calls for a few tablespoons of flour? My step mother tried to make whole wheat rolls for me once and they looked (and tasted) like hockey pucks....hahahahahaa....any kind of feed back would be great...thanks!

Melanie

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 19:12

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Melanie!

I have done a lot of baking with whole grain flours.

If you are making bread I would suggest that you add 1 Tsp of vital wheat Gluten per cup of flour. It helps whole grain breads rise better.

I use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour to thicken Sops and Gravies. It isn't quite as heavy or grainy as Regular Whole wheat Flour. It is also good for pie crust & muffins or cookies.

My favorite flour to bake with though is King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour. It is lighter in color and texture than regular WW Flour. I buy it at Meijers. Great Flavor! It can be ordered on-line too from King Arthur.

HTH
molly
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 08:08

Default thanks molly

Thanks for the info Molly!

I have a mejers right by my house. I'm going to try and find King Arthurs flour. You've been a great help! Right now, I think I have the Hogsdon Mill (sp?) Stoneground flour that SB reccomends. But it's been sitting in my cabinent unopened for months now!

Melanie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters!
Stats: 326.5/312/150 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally posted by molly1844

My favorite flour to bake with though is King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour. It is lighter in color and texture than regular WW Flour. I buy it at Meijers. Great Flavor! It can be ordered on-line too from King Arthur.

I bought this too at Meijer's. We tried making WW pizza dough. It was tasty but very heavy. Where do you get wheat gluten at and does it add a lot of carbs?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 09:22

BF:
Default Vital Wheat Gluten ...

can be purchased at just about any health food store or you can order it on-line. (I know King Arthurs carries it.)

I don't know the carb count but I did use it even when I was on a stricter LC program and it was acceptable.I have seen it in several LC recipes so I am sure it is ok.

After you have used the WW flour for awhile you will adjust to the heartier texture and flavor. In fact the white stuff tastes too bland to me now.

molly
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 225/220/135
BF:??
Progress: 6%

Melanie,

Just a thought on the flour that you say has been sitting on your shelf for awhile. You might want to check it to make sure you don't have any little critters in it. I have been going thru that and when I saw your post I thought I might drop that reply to you.
Tangy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 12:53

Thanks Tangy...

I bought it in September...hopefully it dosen't have critters already! EWWWW! I'm going to buy some wheat gluten and start putting that flour to good use!

Mel
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 15:55

BF:

I usually keep my flour in a Ziplock bag in the freezer so I don't have to deal with those nasty little critters.

molly