Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/154/140
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Considering switch to the ZONE -Questions for someone with experience

Hi I have been doing Atkins Induction for almost 3 months with very mixed results (gaining, loosing). I think I gave up on loosing weight because I think I am probably in a healthy range. I miss fruit and yogurt (I believe I need them in order to eat healthy).

I did Zone about 5 years ago and felt great (maybe a bit hungry). I can't find my book and I have some questions:

1) Do you substract fiber like Atkins to get your net carbs?

2) Do you count protein in dairy (some plans say that daairy is a perfect complete protein and we shouldn't count carbs)?

3) Do you think that the structure of this plan makes it better than just doing maintaince on Atkins or Protein POwer with 70-100 grams of carbs (eating carbs whenever one wants)?

4) How would you compare this plan to Insuline Resisitance plan, or SP (they are described at Plan Comparison forum)

THanks for any replies
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 23:11

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Considering switch to the ZONE -Questions for someone with experience

Quote:
Originally posted by Julianna

I did Zone about 5 years ago and felt great (maybe a bit hungry).

I can't imagine ever being hungry. The current recommendation is MINIMUM 11 blocks (it used to be 9). You will need to start from scratch and calculate the amt of blocks YOUR body requires. DO NOT short-change yourself with the idea you'll lose faster. It won't happen.

Quote:
1) Do you substract fiber like Atkins to get your net carbs?
Yes

Quote:
2) Do you count protein in dairy (some plans say that daairy is a perfect complete protein and we shouldn't count carbs)?
Yes, count the P C & F in dairy products and soy products (tofu)

Quote:
3) Do you think that the structure of this plan makes it better than just doing maintaince on Atkins or Protein POwer with 70-100 grams of carbs (eating carbs whenever one wants)?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but carbs are never eaten alone. Each meal and snack is always balanced 40/30/30

Quote:
4) How would you compare this plan to Insuline Resisitance plan, or SP (they are described at Plan Comparison forum)
Sorry, I haven't been there yet to give you a comparison.

Quote:
THanks for any replies

You're welcome
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:05
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much for your help.

I forgot to ask how does Zone treat sugar alcohols and glycerine. Do you substract them also.

Let me try to clear up the question you had a hard time understandind. Do you think that eatink 40-30-30 ratio at every meal makes difference as oppose to eating various ratios at meals (P,C,F) and keeping carbs at 70-100 a day. Another words is there any "magic" in 40-30-30

Does it matter how I spread my blocks throughout the day?

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:31

Quote:
I forgot to ask how does Zone treat sugar alcohols and glycerine. Do you substract them also?.

Not that I am aware of. What foods would you be eating containing those items?
Quote:
Let me try to clear up the question you had a hard time understanding. Do you think that eatink 40-30-30 ratio at every meal makes difference as oppose to eating various ratios at meals (P,C,F) and keeping carbs at 70-100 a day. Another words is there any "magic" in 40-30-30

Yes, absolutely. Although there is latitude for tweaking individulal responses, balancing (40/30/30) C,P,F each time you eat is key. The Zone is about hormonal control ~ (ex. insulin).
Quote:
oes it matter how I spread my blocks throughout the day?
No, as long as they are balanced and not more than 5 blocks at a time. Therefore, you could (if on an 11 block plan) have 11 mini meals throughout the day supplying you with a steady insulin drip!

Here are a few basic tips & guidelines for staying in the Zone
•Always eat within one hour after waking.
•You must eat a minimum of 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. Afternoon and late evening snacks are critically important for staying in the Zone.
•A Zone meal should give you 4-5 hours in the Zone, a Zone snack 2-2.5 hours. You must eat every 4-5 hours after a meal or 2-2.5 hours after a snack, whether you are hungry or not, to stay in the Zone. In fact, the best time to eat is when you aren't hungry. That means your insulin levels are stabilized.
•Lack of hunger and clear mental focus are excellent barometers that you are in the Zone. Before every meal and snack always assess your hunger and mental focus.
•Every meal and snack starts with low-fat protein plus carbohydrates (eat more leafy green vegetables and fruits and less pasta, breads, grains and starches) and don't forget "good" fats (i.e. olive oil).
•A typical serving size of low-fat protein fits in the palm of your hand and is no thicker than your hand. For most females, this is 3 ounces of low-fat protein, and for males, this equals 4 ounces of low-fat protein. A typical snack contains 1 ounce of protein for both men and women.
•Zone living is guilt free. If you make a mistake, your next Zone meal or snack will take you right back to the Zone.
•Exercise on a regular basis.
•Drink AT LEAST eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. More if you can.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:15
Registered Member

BF:

some low carb products which I used to use on Atkins have sugar alcohol in it, e.g. bread and muffins. I would like to use them but I don't know how to count sugar alcohols since they do not affect your insuline levels.

Also I am working out almost every day. Cardio 45-60 minutes and lifting every other day 30-40 minutes will it affect my fat intake?

Did Dr. SEars update his book since 5 years ago?

I know that he doesn't recommend flax seed oil. Can I eat flax outmeal (wheat and flaxseeds known as flax-o-meal, 13 grams of fiber!). I know that Protein POwer used to be against flax but they have changed their position since then. How about doctor Sears.

Sorry for all those questions. I really apreciate your help!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
some low carb products which I used to use on Atkins have sugar alcohol in it, e.g. bread and muffins. I would like to use them but I don't know how to count sugar alcohols since they do not affect your insuline levels.
For those curious about Sugar Alcohols there is an article under "Low Carb Tips" on them that can be read here. For the record, Julianna, some diabetics do notice a change in insulin when eating foods made with these products; for others (non-diabetics and diabetics alike) they are just stallers.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 23:21

Quote:
some low carb products which I used to use on Atkins have sugar alcohol in it, e.g. bread and muffins. I would like to use them but I don't know how to count sugar alcohols since they do not affect your insulin levels.

This is a very tough question to answer, and you could get a number of different opinions. Consumer Reports did an article on this a few months ago, but I don't recall the content.
Here is a summary from a Whole Foods website:
http://www.wholefoods.com/healthinfo/maltitol.html
Here is another summary from Dr. Mercola's web site:
http://www.mercola.com/2001/nov/17/nutrition_labels.htm

Basically, the maltitol is still a carbohydrate, but there is no insulin-producing effect. It's not clear whether it should be counted or not.

In my opinion, I would still count it as a carb. The same as alcohol; alcohol has no carbs, but should be treated as carbs for the caloric value.

Quote:
Originally posted by Julianna Also I am working out almost every day. Cardio 45-60 minutes and lifting every other day 30-40 minutes will it affect my fat intake?
An activity level this high would impact the amount of full blocks, not fat specifically. Blocks are determined by your activity level and LBM. Have you calculated your blocks recently?
Quote:
Originally posted by Julianna Did Dr. SEars update his book since 5 years ago?
Dr. Sears has 9 published books, the most recent: Omega Rx Zone (2002). He has changed his position on some things, such as minimum blocks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Julianna I know that he doesn't recommend flax seed oil. Can I eat flax outmeal (wheat and flaxseeds known as flax-o-meal, 13 grams of fiber!). I know that Protein POwer used to be against flax but they have changed their position since then. How about doctor Sears.[/B]

Dr. Sears is not against flax, however suggests if supplementing with it to use no more than 1T oil per day or no more than 2T seed. His reasoning is somehwhat sceintific, but if you want details, I can provide that for you. Rather than giving up your flax-o-meal, perhaps you could start cutting it with regular steel cut oats.

Quote:
Originally posted by Julianna Sorry for all those questions. I really apreciate your help!
You're welcome.

Last edited by ZoneCoach : Mon, Nov-18-02 at 23:29.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 00:13
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You say eat every 4 to 5 hours...since we are eating about 6 meals..is it ok to eat like every 3 hours grazing)?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 19:19

Default Grazing

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
You say eat every 4 to 5 hours...since we are eating about 6 meals..is it ok to eat like every 3 hours grazing)?

oh, absolutely! Eating more often the better! 4-5 hours is the maximum anyone should go. Personally, I have to eat something every 3 hours. Get out of my way if I'm caught in a situation beyond the 3 hours!