Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 237/224/156
BF:45.40% ????
Progress: 16%
Question Zonecoach, help I am confused

HI zone coach

I am extremely confused. I have been on protien power for a week and I am liking it so far. I am not over doing it on extra's and I started to work out today...

The prolem is I am worried about a few things. I am approximetely 75 pounds overweight. I am unhealthy, I have asthma and knee pain and chronic back pain. Usually back pain goes away after some stretching in the am but sometimes just getting out of bed takes convincing because it hurts to bend. I even try to stretch while in bed to loosen up a bit before even hitting the floor.

I am making a life change for myself. I am trying to lead my kids into a healthy life style. My husband is a diabetic heart patient and is on no real diet and controls everything with medicine. I want to be a good supporter of him and help him through this and hope he will make some positive changes in his life so that the years arent shorter than they may already be.

I want to be healthy I have a desire to lose weight but it is not formost in my mind. I want to healthy with good blood stats and feel better. I know that through and through this in changing my lifestyle I will end up losing weight which is a benefit.

Protien power makes sense to me, I am doing great on it, but today mostly I have heard other things that have made me want to research a little more to make the best decisions possible.
The zone will say one thing, weight watchers says one thing, PP, says one thing, Atkins says one thing. They all believe they are right so who do I believe?

I am just scared to be doing something to my body which will hurt it. I also am a sufferer of Kidney stones and I read the Atkin alert you had posted on a site and now I am scared. When I passed a kidney stone oh about 6 years back it was the most painful experience of my life. And I have had 3 kids...

Can you help explain the zone in the easiest simplest kindergarden terms for me. I should be able to find it in the library right?

Thanks for a confused little soul...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 21:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Zonecoach, help I am confused

Quote:
Originally posted by pianokat73
HI zone coach

I am extremely confused. I have been on protien power for a week and I am liking it so far. I am not over doing it on extra's and I started to work out today...

I'm sorry, but I know nothing about protein power, so I won't be able to help in any sort of comparisons. I was a WW years ago and know a little about Atkins.
Good to hear you're working out.
Cardio revs your metabolism for several hours afterwards
Resistance/strength training revs your metabolism for 48 hours.

Quote:
Can you help explain the zone in the easiest simplest kindergarden terms for me. I should be able to find it in the library right?

Yes, you should be able to find at least one of the 9 Zone books at the library. To be honest, they can be very overwhelming. I would suggest PURCHASING 'A Week in the Zone' ~ a small paperback. It's easy to follow.
In a nutshell; the Zone is about controlling insulin. Dr. Sears has a family history of heart disease. That is why he developed the Zone. It is not about quick weight loss.
Most people find it:
Reduces or eliminates cravings
Controls diabetes, often reducing or eliminating insulin
dependency.
Lowers cholesterol
Increases energy
Reduces body fat
Increases mental clarity
Reduces or eliminates chronic pain

In reality, all "diets" will work for the short term. Ultimately, they are about caloric reduction. The Zone is something you can do for life. There is no induction period and no foods are off limits. The Zone controls insulin (and other hormones). Excess insulin is stored as fat. Yes, there are "favorable" and "unfavorable" foods, but you choose the ones that work best for you ~ those that "keep YOU in the Zone". You know you are in the Zone when you are not hungry, have clear mental focus and energy. Scientifically, there's a lot more too it. I would be happy to answer your questions.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 01:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I also am a sufferer of Kidney stones and I read the Atkin alert you had posted on a site and now I am scared.

There's nothing like fearmongering is there? What most of us "lifers" like to do around here is provide information on low-carbing without predjudice towards any plan in particular. So here's some non-predjudicial information...

This is a post by Doreen from April 1991 that I'm copying verbatim on the subject of gallstones:

First, obesity itself is a risk factor, as you know. Also, rapid weight loss can aggravate an already present gallbladder disease, usually from very low calorie, lowFAT diets. I have heard anecdotally that extremely lowFAT dieting (less than 20% of total calories from fat) will trigger gallstones --- in fact, two of my nursing colleagues who lost over 50 lbs. each developed gallstones requiring surgery within 6 months of losing their weight on a lowfat diet.

Here's what happens - the gallbladder is basically just a storage receptacle for bile, which is produced in the liver. When fat is eaten and reaches the small intestine, the gallbladder responds by contracting -- "squirting" the bile through the bile duct into the intestine to digest the fat. It's estimated that nearly 40% of us have some gallstones, but they're so tiny that they're easily flushed out with the force of the contraction or "squirt". If the diet is very low FAT, not a lot of bile is required, and the gallbag doesn't have to contract very much. This allows the acids, sterols and minerals in the bile to "pool", thus providing opportunity for the tiny, microscopic debris to accumulate and form into bigger stones. And then one day, some fat is eaten and the gallbladder tries to contract, and it can't because there's a stone lodged in there somewhere, and YEOWWWCH, pain results. Or worse scenario, the stone is freed and gets squirted into the bile duct, which then becomes blocked, and even more Pain & Agony results, as well as the risk of the bile duct rupturing, which is very serious indeed!

Now, I'm not a doctor, just a nurse, so you need to follow your physicians advice. But some general recommendations are -

Lose your weight gradually and steadily; aim for losses of no more than 1 or 2 lbs a week. In other words, keep to the upper limits of your CCL.

Eat some fat. The best thing would be to eat smaller meals, more frequently, to avoid a big load on the gallbladder. Try to avoid meals and snacks that are just carb only -- ie, have some meat or cheese with your lowcarb fruit, or some full-fat yogurt (sugar-free, of course). If you choose to eat lowcarb muffins, bread and the like, ALWAYS eat it with some fat-containing protein. If you eat a meal or snack without some fat in it, the gallbladder won't contract and flush itself out.

Your query about avoiding saturated fat is a good one. It would be better to eat less animal fat overall, choosing fish, fowl, eggs, tofu, etc more often, and red meats, cheese and cream less often. However, adding essential Omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flax or fish oils would be beneficial, and in my opinion, therapeutic for inhibiting the production of gallstones. Also olive oil, avocados, and nuts (but not peanuts, which are a legume) are highest in monounsaturates, which will have a beneficial effect on bile and cholesterol production.
On the subject of insulin-response triggered by eating artificially sweetened "legal" treats, I believe the Hellers have some comments in their "Carbohydrate Addicts" books. I think the response is indirect, in that eating a sweet-tasting food causes certain EMOTIONAL triggers, which lead to surges in neuro-hormones like serotonin, endorphins, etc..... and this sets up a cascade of physical events in the body -- like an adrenalin "rush", and this is what stimulates insulin.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 07:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Kidney Stones

quote:Originally posted by pianokat73
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also am a sufferer of Kidney stones and I read the Atkin alert you had posted on a site and now I am scared.

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
There's nothing like fearmongering is there? What most of us "lifers" like to do around here is provide information on low-carbing without predjudice towards any plan in particular.

I have never made any statements one way or the other on the subject of kidney stones.
It is my understanding from my nutrition science courses that kidney stones are often caused by too much calcium. It can occur when the body absorbs too much calcium from food and empties the extra calcium into the urine. The high level of calcium in the urine causes crystals of calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate to form in the kidneys or urinary tract.
It is also my understanding gall stones and kidney stones are two different things and aren't always related.

Last edited by ZoneCoach : Wed, Feb-05-03 at 07:41.