Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 07:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 20
BF:
Progress:
Question Hair loss since diagnosis + metformin

Hi guys,

I'm posting on behalf of my Mum.

She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 months ago and been on a prescribed dosage of 1000mg Metformin ever since. Since about 4 months or so, she has noticed her hair thinning and falling out, in quite considerable clumps and is unsurprisingly very concerned and stressed out about it.

It only started happening since the diabetes diagnosis, prescription of Metformin and changed lifestlye (diet and quit smoking), so presumably, it's of these things that have caused this.

Doing some reading on the web, there are several cases who have reported this as a symptom of Metformin (due to reducing absorption of vit B12?), but also some reports suggesting it could be due to the drastic change in diet, now that she is on a really low-carb diet, without any grains etc.

She has an appointment on Friday to get her blood test done, which include blood-sugar levels and B12 among other things, so hopefully that will help determine the cause.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice in the meantime? I.e. if it were the Metformin, is it worth reducing the dosage? Changing to extended release? Or something else? And if it's the diet, is there a food group anyone can recommend she start inducing again?

Thanks in advance so much!

J
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hair loss can be due to lots of things. A diet change and losing weight. Low thyroid. An autoimmune disease... probably other things too.

Definitely take a good B complex on Metformin. It does deplete b vitamins... it might be B12 or thiamine, I can't remember which. I recommend using sublingual B12 methylcobalamin and a b complex along with it.

Some people say biotin helps with their hair loss.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 20:32

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Metformin is used in the treatment of PCOS (which is driven by insulin resistance) and hair loss is one of the horrible PCOS symptoms. So I doubt the metformin is causing the hair loss since if it were there'd be a major outcry from women with PCOS, but it can cause depletion of Vitamin B12 (NancyLC- not sure if it's both but definitely B12).

Not sure how old your mum is but she might even have PCOS.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 02:12

BF:
Progress:

What does PCOS stand for?

Excuse my ignorance!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 04:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. There is a sub-forum for the topic under General Health.
Your mum has gone through a number of stresses to her body at once. As Nancy wrote, any change in diet, be it low calorie or low carb, can cause some hair loss. Plus the new drug. All stresses so don't be surprised if there is no one deficient nutrient. Just keep up the protein and good fats, biotin helps some people. Dr. Michael Eades blog had a good explanation of the process.
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ss-and-kimkins/
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-12, 17:33

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudecke
Hi guys,

I'm posting on behalf of my Mum.

She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 months ago and been on a prescribed dosage of 1000mg Metformin ever since. Since about 4 months or so, she has noticed her hair thinning and falling out, in quite considerable clumps and is unsurprisingly very concerned and stressed out about it.

It only started happening since the diabetes diagnosis, prescription of Metformin and changed lifestlye (diet and quit smoking), so presumably, it's of these things that have caused this.

Doing some reading on the web, there are several cases who have reported this as a symptom of Metformin (due to reducing absorption of vit B12?), but also some reports suggesting it could be due to the drastic change in diet, now that she is on a really low-carb diet, without any grains etc.

She has an appointment on Friday to get her blood test done, which include blood-sugar levels and B12 among other things, so hopefully that will help determine the cause.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice in the meantime? I.e. if it were the Metformin, is it worth reducing the dosage? Changing to extended release? Or something else? And if it's the diet, is there a food group anyone can recommend she start inducing again?

Thanks in advance so much!

J

Something that helped me was Biotin, 10mg daily and Nutri-ox shampoo, conditioner and spray on thickener. It's still a little thin on top but much better.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 02:17

BF:
Progress:

Hi guys,

My mums latest blood test has reported the following:

WAS NOW
Lipids 6.4 6.2
HBA1C 50 45
Urea 54
B12 1000
Serum cholesterol 7.3 6..2
Weight 47.3 43
Height 5ft 5ft
BMI 20 18.5

We know her BMI is a little on the short side, and I believe this is simply down to the fact that as a result of starting a new low-carb diet, she is still trying to adjust to what works for her and constantly learning everyday. As a result though, she's incurred rapid weight loss (and I mean rapid).

We believe, as some suggested, this might also be the cause for the hair loss?

Do those blood tests results indicate anything regarding this hair loss issue?

Thanks again,

Mike
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 07:24
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudecke
Hi guys,

My mums latest blood test has reported the following:

WAS NOW
Lipids 6.4 6.2
HBA1C 50 45
Urea 54
B12 1000
Serum cholesterol 7.3 6..2
Weight 47.3 43
Height 5ft 5ft
BMI 20 18.5

We know her BMI is a little on the short side, and I believe this is simply down to the fact that as a result of starting a new low-carb diet, she is still trying to adjust to what works for her and constantly learning everyday. As a result though, she's incurred rapid weight loss (and I mean rapid).

We believe, as some suggested, this might also be the cause for the hair loss?

Do those blood tests results indicate anything regarding this hair loss issue?

Thanks again,

Mike

Is your mum eating enough fat on her low carb diet? Low carb plus too little fat leads to rapid weight loss, inability to absorb nutrients and side effects such as hair loss.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 07:25
Experimenter

BF:

I don't see any thyroid tests in there. She needs to get that checked too.If possible they should check TSH, FT3 and FT4 (Free T3 and Free T4). Most doctors won't check the free T3/T4, so be sure to ask for it. The other T3/T4 they check is for total T3/T4, it doesn't tell you how much of it is unbound to proteins and available to use.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 11:38

BF:
Progress:

She hasn't had her Thyroid tested tbh.. I will prompt her to get that booked in!

WRT her diet - it would appear she is not getting enough good fats in, yes. Clear;y she's rapidly lost a lot of weight and she now needs to stabilise it through diet.

This I guess was to be expected as she is trying new dietary techniques since being diagnosed and learning what works best/what doesn't.

So Thyroid aside, which hasn't yet been tested, the hair loss could be a result of the rapid weight loss?

What do her blood sugar levels suggest in terms of "how" badly/well she's doing?

Thanks,

Mike
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 13:11
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
the hair loss could be a result of the rapid weight loss?

Yes, hair loss is linked to weight loss for lots of people.
Here's a link about that: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ss-and-kimkins/
But it's a very common side-effect of low thyroid too.

I'm not sure how to convert that hba1c to a number I'm used to seeing. I assume you're not in the US. Oh wait... here's a chart: http://www.diabeteschart.org/ptom.html

Her hba1c is still high, looks like it'd be a 6.3 in this country. Ideally you want it under 5 (or 31 in your units). I think many diabetics are happy to see it in the 5 range.

http://www.elviradarknight.com/diabetes/a1cnumbers.html
This chart shows you how the US measurements corresponds to average glucose. At 140 there's definite damage happening to the organs all over the body, so you really want to be under that. 6.3 would be around 130... not a number I'd be happy with if it were me. Lower is better!

It may just take time to get there though.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Apr-05-12 at 13:18.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 14:01
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Metformin at 1000mg is not a large dose, and metformin is the best oral drug with a long safety record, so she should stay on it rather than switch to something else.
Metformin does deplete B12 though, as said above, so advise her to get on a good B12 supplement.
I would think the sudden change in diet + rapid weight loss + not eating enough fat would be the most likely culprit in the hair loss, and if so, it's not permanent.

Good luck to your mom! Have her visit Jenny Ruhl's website and blog, the best site on the web for new diabetics (or any diabetic, really) http://www.bloodsugar101.com/