Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 09:16
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

This is my menu usually in a day
Morn. Scrambled eggs with 4 slices of bacon or 3 small slices of ham.
Lunch will be either salad (romaine lettuce, fresh spinach and tomatoes) with ranch dressing one tbs. along with one cooked chicken leg sm. or one half of the breast. Or left over cooked veggies with chicken.
Supper: Meatloaf one night no breadcrumbs with 2 to 3 types of veggies (broccoli. cauliflower, green beans. Brussel sprouts, turnip, swiss chard, spinach, beet greens) these are the choices of veggies I usually eat from. My meats are mostly chicken, sm. loin chops (1), shrimp, scallops halibut (not deep fried) and last night had a steak with mushrooms, greenbeans and cauliflower. I usually snack in mid day on celery and cheese that I cut. I drink water, soda water and lemon or lime perrier. Mind you the last few days I'm sitting most of the day as I am doing registration for our upcoming Provincial BC elections. Till election which is May 16 I will be doing mostly sitting down jobs and day hrs. can go from 8 to 10 hrs. I try to take the doggies out when I come home, but I am up between 4:30 and 5 am in the morns. to do my chores before going out. Any feedback on what I may be doing wrong. Taking supplements also. Multivitamin, potassium. E, D, B complex, frolic acid, enzymes,calcium and glucosamine solfate (sodium free) oops forgot to mention had a handful of salted cashews yesterday. Mind you I also have been drinking everyother day one tall cappuccino with skim milk no sugar with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hi, Lizzy!

Have you not lost ANY weight, or just not any weight for the last days or weeks? Sometimes the body seems to 'rest' for some time while it's adjusting to a new weight; keep eating low-carb and the downward turn will continue. You may be losing inches, not weight, that is, building muscles, which are more dense and take up less room than fat.

To me, your diet looks pretty good; I avoid Brussels sprouts (although I love them) because they're pretty carby; about 10/cup cooked, after subtracting fibre, and I can eat at least that much. Maybe try replacing the sprouts with green, red, or Chinese cabbage for about half the carbs. Turnips can also be a bit carby if you eat loads of them (about 7/cup, after fibre); I try to keep my servings of turnips down to 1/2 cup. By the way, do you mean the white and purple turnip or the yellow and purple rutabaga? Rutabaga is pretty carby; I'd stay away from it.

As I'm sure you know, the skim milk in your cappuchino is pretty carby (about 12 grams a cup). Is there any way you can substitute a couple of tablespoons of cream, for about 1 carb?

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 09:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi lizzy,

Your menu looks pretty good except for the tall cappuccino. Do you know that skim milk contains 11.88 grams of carbs per cup? If you're drinking a tall, thats about 12 oz. of milk for a carb total of 17.82 grams! Have coffee with whipping cream in it instead.

To be on the safe side, I would also nix the bacon and ham unless you are sure that there is no sugar, anything ending with -ose, milk solids or starch fillers in them. And as you know, cashews are not the best choice for snacking.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 10:02
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default re losing weight

Hi: Rachel: I have lost 11 lbs but noticed I gained back 2 lbs. I eat very little turnip (white) and also my brussel sprouts may be only about 3 or 4 along with other veggies. By my clothes no I haven't lost any more inches. I really don't drink much coffee at all if I do I can only finish half a cup but my cappachinos I can't seem to give up that easily, gosh I don't drink liquor or smoke so I really will be honest don't want to give up cap. all together. Should I use whole milk instead?
Lizzy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-01, 10:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lizzy,

Do you know what your carb tolerance level is? Some people have a greater tolerance for carbs and others don't. The average level for ongoing weight loss seems to be about 30 grams per day.

Keep a food diary and record everything that goes into your mouth. If you have enough room for whole milk in your daily carb allowance, then you can have it. It may seem like a pain at first, but you can really see where you stand in terms of carb allowance.

On a personal note, I trained myself this year to drink straight black coffee. It' not a big treat for me anymore and I don't think longingly of my 5:00 p.m. indulgence of coffee with whipping cream and sweetener. It's been a long haul to "train" myself out of looking at food as reward. It's one of the things that contributed to fattening me up in the first place, along with, oh, hundreds of other things.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-01, 12:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Lattes!

Hi I'm back!

I have to jump in here about the coffee - I too have given up the honey in my morning latte, and rarely buy them from a coffeeshop.

I invested in my own machine and use only about 1/10th a cup of skim which makes tons of foam and still makes it a real latte without the massive carbs.

Can't give it up!!! I know what you mean, it's not the sweet treat it used to be, but I grind organic beans and still love the taste.

(Down 13 lbs. and several inches, although have gained a bit back due to April being a write-off - vacation! )
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-01, 21:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Hi there!

Hi, Mrs. Yogi, good to see you back!

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-01, 22:29
Forum Founder