Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-17, 09:40

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Thanksgiving Planning

I'm starting to put together my plan for (U.S.) Thanksgiving. I want to try and keep it as low carb as possible. I don't always make a traditional meal, so everyone knows to expect he unexpected with me. One year I did a Hawaiian-inspired meal, a Mexican one the year after. I also like to play around with different meats instead of always doing turkey.

Inspire me! What are you planning to make for Turkey day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-17, 14:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Your house sounds fun

Looks like we are going to a fancy restaurant this year, because my brother is having major surgery the week before.

So here is a round up of favorites from years past-

Turkey and gravy

Green veg:
Roasted broccoli with fresh parm, lemon juice and crushed red pepper

Roasted green beans and toasted almonds

Roasted brussels

A green salad with roasted butternut squash, peppers and brussels- with goat cheese and cider vinaigrette

other veg-
Roasted carrots and parsnips
Roasted acorn squash with butter and splenda/cinnamon
Mashed cauli
Spaghetti squash Kugel
Turkey sausage stuffed mushrooms

Fruit-
Sf cranberry sauce, which I usually add strawberries or raspberries to, or sometimes just cinnamon and orange extract....

Jicama "baked apples" yummmmmm!

Dessert- I'm usually not in the mid for dessert, but there are tons of recipes in forums. I would do a pumpkin cheesecake, or a fruit cobbler using almond flour. Berries, pears, apples, peaches all make great low carb cobblers.
I usually just have some berries with ricotta beaten with splenda and vanilla. It's light, and then others can have pie and some fruit with the ricotta.

Oh, and I usually have a couple glasses of dry white wine

Last edited by Robin120 : Mon, Oct-30-17 at 16:15.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-17, 15:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Are you cooking yourself for a ton of people?

It was just hubby and I, so I did a roasted chicken, gravy, mashed rutabaga, and green bean/wax bean/carrot frozen mixed veggies on our Thanksgiving a few weeks ago.

When I've gone to my dad's, there were only five of us and he didn't want lots of leftovers, so he'd just do a turkey breast instead of the whole bird. Lots of veggies and some kind of bread/bun for the carb eaters.

Not necessarily just for Thanksgiving, but veggie-wise, I like to do a mixed mash sometimes: any combo of cauliflower, sweet potato, squash, turnip, etc. Throw in cream cheese and/or cream, butter, etc. It can have a loaded potato vibe if you throw some sour cream and bacon bits on top.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-17, 15:13
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
Thanksgiving is my favorite American holiday and meal of the year.
I usually make a Caesar salad with LOTS of garlic, cole slaw, spinach and broccoli casserole, carrot soufflé, roasted cranberry sauce, roasted potatoes, roasted Brussels, stuffing (DH loves it), gravy (simply the pan juices) and the biggest fresh turkey I can get.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-17, 17:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im struggleing with wanting to visit brother-- who last time fed me sweet ice tea just after discussing my no sugar diet.... But Im hoping I have more guts to stick to my plan these days.

Did a nice LC dinner a few years ago for Christmas... lots of LC options for Thanksgiving!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 06:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Are you cooking yourself for a ton of people?

Not necessarily just for Thanksgiving, but veggie-wise, I like to do a mixed mash sometimes: any combo of cauliflower, sweet potato, squash, turnip, etc. Throw in cream cheese and/or cream, butter, etc. It can have a loaded potato vibe if you throw some sour cream and bacon bits on top.

Not a ton of people right now. We have a small place, and I don't want to have to move the table into the living room because we have to use the table leaf (again). We like lots of leftovers, though.

I've been OBSESSED with loaded mashed cauli the last few weeks, so it's definitely making an appearance on the table.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 07:30

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im struggleing with wanting to visit brother-- who last time fed me sweet ice tea just after discussing my no sugar diet.... But Im hoping I have more guts to stick to my plan these days.

Maddening when people do things like that. Sugar is SO ubiquitous in life that most people just can't conceive of avoiding it, it seems.

What has worked for me when people are just obnoxious about pushing it on me - even when I explain I'm diabetic! - is to tell them that I am just like an alcoholic with sugar -- a "little bit" is too much, and never enough. Most people understand the analogy.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 07:35

Plan: Paleo/ keto
Stats: 122/122/122 Female 68 inchea
BF:
Progress:

I made a low carb, no thickener gravy last year that I’ll be using again

Sautéed some mushrooms and green onions. Threw it in a blender, added some turkey juice and broth, garlic, oregano, sage, salt and pepper and it was so good we were eating it with a spoon. The mushrooms were the thickener.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 07:40
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico32
I've been OBSESSED with loaded mashed cauli the last few weeks, so it's definitely making an appearance on the table.

Another cauliflower option: Faux potato salad. I took my grandma's potato salad recipe and tweaked it for LC. It takes a little bit of work, but my family likes it a lot (even the carbivores ). They insist that I make it for every holiday meal. I plugged the recipe into MY PLAN here on this forum. Here is the link:

Ken's Faux Potato Salad
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 08:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im struggleing with wanting to visit brother-- who last time fed me sweet ice tea just after discussing my no sugar diet.... But Im hoping I have more guts to stick to my plan these days ...

Why do people do that? DH and I are retired homebodies and live far away from family, so we celebrate quietly at home. We're going to make a turkey for two and a few simple side dishes for each or both of us.

Meanwhile, our darling, well-meaning neighbor offered (as she does every year) to make us a pan of her famous "dressin'" - it really is delicious but so fattening, I blow up just looking at it. We've mentioned to her probably 15 times in the last three months that we're watching the carbs. She smiled and said it's only once a year, whereupon I answered that it takes a whole year for me to burn it off!

It's uncomfortable because this is a gesture of kindness, so to soften the blow I suggested that if she wants to make us a treat we love her fried okra. (I've sneakily extracted her ingredients and cooking methods in our chats, and it is reasonably low carb.

Let's face it, we're raised to believe food is love. It's not just food. So I try not to get angry or frustrated with people who do that sort of thing, remember that they're not trying to intentionally sabotage our efforts, but it is still a little bit frustrating. Even my darling husband will stick a spoonful of ice cream in my face once in a while. But I digress.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 12:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm afraid I can't help with suggestions. We're probably going to the free community turkey dinner - my husband loves talking to people & we don't have any family nearby.

I'm not a fan of turkey, but I know from experience that turkey & green salad will likely be all I can eat - which is fine. But this year I'm taking my own olive oil & vinegar dressing because the store-bought ones just don't taste good. Then I can pour my dressing over both the salad & turkey & all will be good.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 03:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have lots of flexibility if even Hawaiian is OK, but maybe try making an all Southern/Virginian meal this year?

You might add a Virginia Ham to the meal with a Turkey. I like the Five Minute Sweet and Spicey Pecans just for the aroma of cinnamon and spice before the meal. Ideas and recipe here,

https://www.verywell.com/low-carb-t...ristmas-2242467

Collards, LC Sweet potato casserole, Okra, Some local Virginia shellfish, She-Crab Soup, Roasted Yams??

A FaceBook you can find many ideas, some not so traditional, is Cooking Keto with Kristie. Have to join her FB group, then use the group's search bar for hashtag #ThanksgivingMeals

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795

There are many meal ideas flying around this large active group.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-02-17 at 03:47.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 04:35
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Imma making a small turkey and a leafy green salad for my T day meal.

It's gonna be interesting b/c my 2 DDs and my SIL are vegans (as of July) and are coming to visit for the Thanksgiving holidays... I told 'em MORE turkey for me then!

They'll cook their own vegan dishes and we'll enjoy each other's company.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 08:14

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have been the Thanksgiving site for my family for the past 15 years since my mother grew older, I took over the cooking and hosting. Everyone comes here because of my mother I guess.....we usually have between 16 - 24 people (sisters, kids, cousins, etc. ) Unfortunately, since most of them either fly in or drive long distances.......they don't bring food. I do the traditional Thanksgiving meal, and just don't eat the carb foods. My stepdaughter, who lives in town, cooks the turkey and I do the rest.

My cousin brings wine, cheeses and shrimp for before which I LOVE...

Heres my basic menu:

Turkey
Ham
cornbread dressing
cranberry sauce
sweet potato casserole
green vegetables (depending of what I find...either green beans, brussel; sprouts or asparagus)
Mac and cheese (for the kids)
pecan pies and chess pies

I just eat cheeses, shrimp, turkey, ham and veggies, (and wine) and let the rest enjoy the dressing, rolls and dessert!

I also have two vegans and three diabetics. the vegans usually bring something from the local "whole foods" store, and eat the veggies I provide. I usually also have these "heat and serve" fake chicken tenders for them that you heat in the oven.

I haven't found it hard to resist anything but the dressing, and if I wait long enough to fill my plate, its usually gone!

Last edited by Lbangle : Thu, Nov-02-17 at 10:27.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 09:23

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Just 3 of us for Thanksgiving these last several years, with my brother joining my husband and me. DH isn't overly keen on turkey, and brother actively dislikes it, so I have been roasting a couple of ducks for the meal. Usually stuff the birds with some mixture of nuts & dried fruit & onions, which stretches my carb limit; but with all the fat in the duck I find the stuffing is more for adding flavor to the bird rather than actual eating. Mashed veg in some variation: cauli, celery root, rutabaga; Brussels sprouts; some sort of salad; cranberry sauce. My tried and true pumpkin pie; I've tried it with an LC crust, and wasn't thrilled. The guys aren't LC, so this year I will just make it as usual, and either not eat the crust, or consider it part of my 80/20 plan. However, there are plenty of great sounding Thanksgiving suitable dessert recipes around the web. If it were important for me or the family to be more strict I would try one of them.