Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-17, 12:41

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Different, tasty, new sources of fat

Hi everyone. I get bored with food pretty quickly, and I'm trying to get creative. I recently found a couple of new fatty foods that fit my low-carb needs:

1. Anchovy filets marinated in vinager, garlic and oil. I kid you not. These things are not fishy or stinky and they really kick off a salad.

2 Tzatziki. (Ive always loved this, but hadn't seen it in a low-carb light before).

I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend further fatty, taste-packed foods that go beyond oils, eggs, bacon, dairy and avocados. Maybe some that are even a little strange. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-17, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Canned smoked oysters, canned smoked mussels. Goat cheese (garlic and herb flavored) Canned quail eggs I bought at an Asian market. They are cute, about the size of a large olive. Easy to pop in your mouth in one bite. There are about 24 in each can.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-17, 23:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Baba ganoush. If you don't want the carb load of hummus, baba ganoush is a good sub.

Creamed coconut. It's sold as a little brick about the size (and texture ) of a bar of soap. You can cook with it, but it makes a nice snack when you break it into little pieces.

If you like to cook and/or bake, there are many more options. Flax seed is pretty high in fat and can be used to make muffins, quick one-minute microwave buns, etc.

I like to browse my grocery store for different marinades and cooking sauces. A lot have too much sugar, but you can find some gems. Something I found after I broke my sugar addiction is that I'll often crave spice, heat, or a type of savoury. (And I hate to use the word "crave". It's more like, "I'm really in the mood for...." ) Piri piri sauce, harissa, jerk, chili garlic sauce, various curries...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 07:43

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Try making homemade mayonnaise and then use it as a base for different sauces and dips - add chipotle or mole ingredients, liquid smoke for 'white' bbq sauces, etc. etc.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 07:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Baba ganoush. If you don't want the carb load of hummus, baba ganoush is a good sub.

One of my all-time favorites!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 09:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

My first thought was also baba gnoush.

I also love looking for different types of Pesto or tapenades. They are great on fish or Flackseed crackers, as a dip for veg, etc....

Olives

I eat one or two oz of a huge variety of nuts or seeds daily- pumpkin seeds are my favorite. I buy a brand called Seedz, in a white bag in Health food aisle.

Cucumber rounds with cream cheese and smoked salmon (like Lox on a bagel minus the bagel)

A few squares of dark chocolate with peanutbutter
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 10:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Where are you? Are you really in France as your location says? Once upon a time I was a starving college student in France and frequently ate canned liver pate and mackerel (not together ) . I know you said no dairy, but geez, the Camembert and creme fraiche and butter are sooo good. Browse the aisles and see what you can find.

If you are actually in the U.S. and do Walmart, the Brunswick kippered seafood snacks are delicious. They're smoked herring. Plain old sardines are good, too.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 11:39

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Goat got fat...

Camel got fat...

Both are really good!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 00:16

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Fresh duck and chicken are very nice and fatty. France has some wonderful varieties of salami. Pate' was mentioned. All of the wonderful cheeses. Make cream sauces with your pan drippings from the chicken or duck.
Butter on your vegetables.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Yes, duck is very good!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 06:32

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%

I see that everyone has figured out that I'm a Frenchy!!! Yes, I have access to a cazillion cheeses and dairy, I eat fatty duck on a regular basis, etc. But after a few decades, boredom sets in. Even in France. Cheeses and charcuterie (all those patés, salamis, sausages) just taste salty to me now. I feel like general quality is going down (not really a feeling.... that is a statement). So I appreciate your helping me brainstorm!

Smoked oysters looks interesting. And I'm working on the babaganoush (never been able to cook eggplant super well.... you know when you blacken them and then scoop out the inside). Have to check with an asian store in a large city to try and find creamed coconut... or on second thought I'll order that on line.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback! Now I'm going to expand the list of leafy green things.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-17, 08:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

One of the things I do for variety is that I can make certain dishes with fats and meats to favor different cuisines. For example, last night I sauteed boneless chicken thighs in coconut oil, set them aside, and lightly sauteed a bit of red onion, garlic, asparagus seasoned with ginger, thai chile powder, and a couple dried red peppers. Added the bite-sized cut chicken thighs and finished the dish Thai style over Shiritaki noodles. I can take the same ingredients with different seasonings and prepare it as any other cuisine such as Greek or Italian. This approach enables one to prepare a variety of meal flavors and it simply comes down to your own creativity. Last night's meal was ready to eat in less than 30 minutes, and I have leftover chicken to prepare differently tonight.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-17, 22:07

Plan: lazy keto
Stats: 238/235/190 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 6%

Epic Bar - pork cracklings! They are a snack with pork fat and fried skin attached, and they are tasty. I bought mine at the local grocery store in the organic section. I think they would be extra yummy mixed into a recipe or as a topping to something (casserole maybe?). Not sure if they are sold in France though.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-17, 08:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredFedUP

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback! Now I'm going to expand the list of leafy green things.

For some easy ways to up the leafy greens:
1. Have you made spinach dip? Kale works well in those recipes, too.
2. Smoothies are a great way to consume a lot of spinach at once (I would use frozen berries, cream or coconut milk if you track it down, greens, sweeteners ice.e
3. Stir Frying greens makes them cook down quite a bit- creamed spinach or a spinach souffle are always a hitt

For my favorite high fat French foods:
1. Omelets and quichese
2. Cheese fondue with Veggies
3. Chocolate fondue with strawberries
4. Spinach stuffed mushrooms
5. French Onion Soup
6. Ratatouillee
7. Mussels in wine and butter

What about a steak with turnip, carrot, jicama, or butternut squash fries?

Do you like creamy soups? Cauliflower makes a great base for "cream of potato" or "new England clam chowder."

In general, I would stick to the great variety of seafood, fish and meat you have, and the variety of vegetables.
Here are a few things in thinking of-
1. Scallops seared in butter, with broccoli roasted in olive oil and topped with grated parmesan, lemon juice and pine nuts
2. Salmon baked with butter and herbs. Served with asparagus, roasted in olive oil and drizzled with a balsamic reduction
3. Chicken stuffed with spinach and cream cheese
A green salad with roasted beets and pumpkin seeds

The recipe forums have loads of ideas to inspire you