Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 16:12

Plan: lchf
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default New lchf adventurer withdrawal issues

Greetings,
I'm glad you're here with knowledge and support. Thanks. I started a lchf diet about five days ago after talking with an enthusiastic friend and reading Low Carb High Fat Food Revolution. I'm convinced of the benefits and have an easy time getting over the fear of fat. Fortunately, I don't need to lose weight. I'm doing this to enhance health and prevent disease.
The withdrawal symptoms worry me though. Too much! I'm 63 years old and in good shape. I cut the sugar out completely and started with a very low carb consumption, maybe 20 or 30 grams a day with lots of fatty fish, grass fed beef, ghee, etc. I guess this put me in ketosis. My energy is very low, arms and legs tired. Heart rate is speeded up. I would have to take off work.
I had hep c that is now completely cured, but question whether I'm overloading my liver. Also, I'm scheduled for an outpatient throat operation next week and think it might be dangerous in my current condition. Just drank a little salt water. Any advice on the liver thing, or just what would you do, would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 18:24

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

You're eating vegetables, which are good for the liver, especially cruciferous types and leafy greens? Also avocados, garlic, lemons and limes, grapefruit.

Heart rate speed may be related to salt intake. See: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...920#post9216920

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/203/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I had the same thing.. Salt/electrolite drinks helped. It goes away. Your body is adjusting.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 03:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I don't know that book, is it one by Dr Eenfeldt? Any LCHF book should cover potential side effects and what to do about it. Here is a link to the common ones. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb . Scroll to the side effects section.
The lack of energy is often corrected with enough water and extra salt, though it takes time to switch your energy source from glucose to fat. I still use broth to get enough salt absorbed quickly around exercise.

Personally I wouldn't do anything before surgery. Were you advised to stop blood thinners like aspirin and fish oil? Consider starting low carb at a time not complicated by surgery, travel, or anything out of ordinary.

If you want to eat low carb and remove the sugar and other processed foods from your diet to enhance health, and you are not doing this as a therapy or to lose weight, I'd also question why you would even need to be "in ketosis". You can get all the excellent health benefits of LCHF without dropping to 20g carbs. Look at the higher of the three carb levels at DietDoctor linked above. Amy Berger has an epic rant about the Ketogenic fad, maybe a little too ranting for someone new to LCHF, but there is nothing wrong with a real food low carb, but not Keto, approach for health.
Ps. My liver enzymes have done nothing but improve over the seven years LC.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-08-17 at 05:19.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 05:31

BF:
Progress:

Thanks all.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 05:57

BF:
Progress:

Yes, the book I mentioned in the original post is by Eenfeldt. It does mention side effects but could be more thorough in its treatment of them. I went to the diet site and see that high blood pressure and meds is an issue to deal with. I'm on a low dose of blood pressure meds.
I ate a bunch of carbs and some salt yesterday evening and am feeling better. I will probably be going liberal in the amount of carbs I eat daily. No more sugar though, I'm finished with that stuff! I had read stories of people eating almost no carbs with great benefit so was trying it out. Things are more complicated than some books and YouTube make them appear.
Thanks for responses.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 06:59

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.ca/

This is a blog by a guy who makes an argument for low carb vs. hep-c I thought you might find interesting if you haven't already seen it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 19:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwalk
I went to the diet site and see that high blood pressure and meds is an issue to deal with. I'm on a low dose of blood pressure meds.
You should keep an eye on your blood pressure to make sure it does not go too low since the LCHF diet can eliminate the need for BP meds.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 23:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I was on 3 BP meds, now my readings are finally normal, even the systolic. I think mineral water helps with keytosis side effects and the resulting dehydration. I get TopoChico sparkling water or the one from Walgreens, better than tap water.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 11:38

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Prior to heart surgery my dh was put on 50 to 100 carbs per day to keep his blood sugar down. It doesn,t have to be super low to get the benefits . The biggest benefit of going under 50 is weight loss and it sounds like you don,t need that.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 12:27

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

After a month and a half doing (very) low carb I had symptoms very similar to yours. I don't know what effect these may have on the liver so you should double check, but I eventually did realize that I needed to replete my potassium, sodium, and magnesium (electrolytes). I started taking a magnesium citrate supplement and using Morton's Lite Salt (or any salt that's 50/50 potassium and sodium) and generally making sure to salt my food. This, of course, is in addition to drinking lots of water. Just doing those three things brought me back to feeling well.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Jul-09-17 at 19:35.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 14:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't do anything before surgery.
Totally agree with Janet. Now isn't the time to throw your body off kilter.

BTW, I watched a great Fung video this morning on dietdoctor.com. Don't know if it's on the "free" side of the membership, but it addresses the load fructose metabolism places on the liver. The good news is that fatty liver is reversible.

Are all carbs equally bad? Love the science behind good eating, and Dr. Fung is great at explaining.