Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 02:38

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 197/182.2/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Sweeteners

This is not first rodeo with low carb. I'm trying to do it right, though. 🤗

I need to know if y'all use sweeteners, which work best? Stevia is out for me. I can't handle the taste.

Do you add your sweeteners to your carb count? Just getting some opinions. Thanks.

CT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 03:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There was another thread asking the same recently. If it is a packet of powder, you definitely should count it as 1g carb because they are mixed with maltodextrin, a sugar.

Many members give their favorites here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...35&page=2&pp=15
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 07:57

BF:

Like, if you get tea at a restaurant and use a Splenda, that counts as one? And a stick of sf gum, is one? A Diet Coke is one? Jeeeeze that adds up!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 08:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy54
Like, if you get tea at a restaurant and use a Splenda, that counts as one? And a stick of sf gum, is one? A Diet Coke is one? Jeeeeze that adds up!!

Precisely why so many of us wind up avoiding SWEET in all its forms for a while. This resets our tastebuds; and then some berries and yogurt, or proscuitto and melon, or the like, becomes our "treat."

For many, just the sweet taste can cause an insulin release; the hormone that puts on fat. This can be baffling when our "official carb count" is low, but we are still not losing. Whatever it takes to counter insulin resistance and get it lower will pay off for us in the long run. Which is worth a lot of short term "sacrifices."

My attitude towards "treats" turned around when I widened my time frame. We tend to focus on how good that first bite tastes, and how it makes us feel. But when I also focused on how upsetting the aftermath of an "indulgence" was, and how I felt afterwards; it helped me understand that this was not a harmless good time. At all.

I actually deserved better.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 08:26

BF:

Here's a discussion about the topic:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477289

Do not encourage a Deprivation Mindset in yourself. Do not feel like you are "giving things up." This will create a nagging feeling of punishment and loss that can become just as bad as the hunger caused by low fat calorie counting.

Successful low carbers tend to counter that mindset with a more positive focus on what we are getting: a slimmer body that fits in more places, a healthier body that can let us enjoy other things in life, a less moody body that is not distressed over malnutrition and has happier and more even moods.

"What I gave up" is tiny compared to what I have gotten.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 09:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

When you're adept at putting together healthy low carb meals, there is so much that is delicious and one can prepare a feast of great tasting food. I do not ever feel deprived and can sit at a dinner table while people are eating dessert without even a remote feeling of missing out on something. Sweets when I was carb addicted were important, not any longer. Hang in there, that feeling will come.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 10:35

BF:

I'm no so much s dessert person. I do love unsweetened tea with Splenda and diet cokes that's what I'm referring to. 😜
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 11:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Don't think it makes a difference, sweet is sweet no matter when it's consumed, and when I was carb addicted, I could eat sweets without hesitation. Today, I just stay away from them with only an occasional stevia sweetened beverage. I can count the number of times I do this in a year on one hand and still have fingers available. You can really rid yourself of a desire for sweets. And it's not a bad thing to do early on in a low carb venture. Later, when you're comfortable, you can add in sweeteners and many do well with this approach. However, this is always an individual thing and there are many successful LCers who use AS and NS all the time with good success. Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy54
I'm no so much s dessert person. I do love unsweetened tea with Splenda and diet cokes that's what I'm referring to. 😜

the carbs in the Splenda are from the powder they put it in. If you can find the liquid stuff - no carbs. I bought something called "EZ sweet" in a liquid form - easy to measure the drops and no carbs. I'm fairly certain that you don't need to count carbs from diet soda either - I certainly don't. YES there is a strong argument to get rid of a dependence on "sweet" in all forms, but lots of us just aren't there yet and are still losing weight successfully. I can't remember who, but some skinny chick on here drinks literally litres of diet coke every day~
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 16:13

BF:

The OP said it wasn't her first rodeo. Though she didn't say what had tripped her up in the past.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:46

BF:
Wink

Honestly, I think I had way too much cream. Secondly, too many cheat days. Third, not enough discipline. It wasn't eating too much bread or starch or sugar. Just a cheat here and there led to me giving up. Thanks for all it your input.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 21:01

BF:

YNot,

Where did you find the EZ Sweetner? I looked at Walmart and Kroger and couldn't find it. Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 23:53
Registered Member

Plan: my own designed
Stats: 276/267/200 Male 5.4
BF:
Progress:

I prefer only natural sweet or not to take any. Processed sweets are more dangerous than the natural ones. However, i used stevia in the past, Good Lcuk!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 05:45

BF:

A lot of the better products can only be obtained online.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 05:56

BF:

Please give me some liquid suggestions.