Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 08:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Giving Up Bread....

Hi everyone,

I am still trying to give up bread..... Don't eat it everyday, but know need to give it up. Why? I ate a Sausage Biscuit wit. h Egg from McDonald's yesterday. Only half the bun. Usually when I eat it with no bread and maybe an extra egg, I'm really stuffed afterwards. I eat anything with bread, I'm still hungry afterwards.

I've gotta give up bread. Here's my question, is cold turkey the only way to be successful when giving up something? I gave up Doritos and most chips. Only ate them twice in 12 months.

Any suggestions? What's been something you've had trouble giving up?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 08:33

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Well, I don't know about cold turkey, but for me its not having it around at all. If its on the plate I'll probably eat it. At a restaurant it needs to arrive without the bun....and scaring the pants off me seems to work as well -- maybe check out some info on line of the damage bread/wheat does?? Keep reminding yourself??
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 09:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I'd say go cold turkey. It's really hard to see results whilst doing an LC WOE plan if one continues to eat high carb foods even if it is just once in a while, IMHO. It will kick you out of ketosis and increase cravings, etc...

I had to give up cheese b/c it's a binge food for me... I really didn't have terrible trouble giving it up since I just stopped buying it = none in the house to overeat...

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 10:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Cold turkey is what worked for me. I had a couple of slips with bread, but neither of those turned out well because of craving more.

I'm lucky that my husband was willing for me not to have tempting foods like bread & sugar in the house. Even though he didn't need to lose weight, he found out he feels better without the wheat & sugar on a daily basis. He does buy treats for himself when we go out for lunch or coffee, but I'm no longer drooling at the sight of his cinnamon roll.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 10:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
I had to give up cheese b/c it's a binge food for me... I really didn't have terrible trouble giving it up since I just stopped buying it = none in the house to overeat...

That's what I need to do. I stopped buying the loaves of cheese because I never ate the shredded out of the bag. Then I did.

Too often I find myself in the cheese section saying to myself: But I NEED cheese for the recipe!

I'm getting better at saying no to that voice in my head.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

A great bread substitute which is very low carb is a homemade English muffin that I regularly have. It consists of one tablespoon of butter, 1 1/2 tablespoons of coconut flour, 3 tablespoons of almond flour or almond meal, one teaspoon of baking powder and one egg. Melt the butter in whatever microwavable container you want to use. (I use a small silicone round pan that I got at the dollar store. It has straight sides and makes a fairly large muffin that can be split in half and toasted.) After melting butter stir in the dry ingredients, then mix in the egg very well. Let it sit for a minute or two, and microwave on high for 90 seconds. After toasting it tastes just like an English muffin, not eggy at all. Split in two, it makes great English muffin pizzas. I also bring a whole one split in two if I go to a burger place and I can have an actual bun. One whole one equals 4 grams of net carbs. This can actually also he made in a coffee mug except it makes it smaller in diameter and I find it to be too thick so generally need to slice it in three slices. I no longer miss bread at all. I take the snack bags the small ones and put the dry ingredients in and I can take them anywhere that I have access to a microwave, add my egg and butter, and 90 seconds later I have my roll.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 15:44

BF:

I make that, too. I do it a bit differently, as I wanted to cut down on the almond flour: 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons almond flour, 1 tablespoon coconut flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 tablespoon water. I mix it up in a small bowl as I couldn't get the egg fully mixed in using a mug. I use a mug because I don't have anything else with a better size. I cut it into 4 slices. Yesterday I made salmon melts - lovely!

I'll have to check our dollar store & see if they have a silicon pan like you have. Or if I double the baking powder, maybe it would work in my small soufflé dishes.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 16:09

BF:

Thanks!! I made this recipe earlier today for the first time. It was yummy

I'll hit up the dollar store too for the silicon pan.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 16:12

BF:

I'm gonna try cold turkey. It worked well for Dorito's and chips. Just too many cravings. I like the idea of making the English muffin recipe and using that for when you want a burger or sandwich for fast food. Really no excuses with this info.

Thanks everyone
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

The dollar store I got it from was Dollar Tree. I think they are nationwide. They have the silicone pans in multiple colors.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 04:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

slwloser, I think Grains are pretty easy to identify in foods so I'd avoid them completely. Something like PUFA oils, which I avoided for 90 days pretty much still do, were much harder for me to practice abstinence from, I ate some a few times by "accident".

If I was you, and I'm not, I'd avoid trying to replicate your desire to eat bread on faux bread - that will not do much for developing a habit in my opinion.

You will do well!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 05:06
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
If I was you, and I'm not, I'd avoid trying to replicate your desire to eat bread on faux bread - that will not do much for developing a habit in my opinion.
That's what worked for me b/c "Fat Jo" was not fooled by the faux LC replications.

Plus, most of them have some carb-age and with my tendency to binge even on perfectly 100% OP foods, it's better to abstain from them completely...

We all gotta do whatever it takes to get and keep the results we want!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 05:17
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
I'd say go cold turkey. It's really hard to see results whilst doing an LC WOE plan if one continues to eat high carb foods even if it is just once in a while, IMHO. It will kick you out of ketosis and increase cravings, etc...

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!

Oh I hear you on the cheese. I do exactly what you do no and banned large blocks from the fridge.. I used to wake up several times during the night and zombie like would walk to the fridge.

Now once a week I buy 100g as a treat.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 05:20
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran
Oh I hear you on the cheese. I do exactly what you do no and banned large blocks from the fridge.. I used to wake up several times during the night and zombie like would walk to the fridge.

Now once a week I buy 100g as a treat.
Yep we've gotta know what our "problem" foods are; even if they are 100% OP, some of us just can't handle 'em! Treating yourself once a week is a wonderful compromise!

I do the same thing with pork rinds, I buy the smallest bags possible (2 oz) at a gas station about every couple of months or so. Of course they are more expensive, but the price is worth it if it keeps me from overeating!

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, May-01-17 at 05:23. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 08:08

BF:

Thanks, Thud!!

Good point!! I'm going to try to abstain from all grains. Cold turkey.
If I'm on my way to caving in with bread then I'll have some homemade LC bread. Today's day 1 of no bread.