Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/186/170
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Weight loss?

One week into the low carb thing...I have to admit I am very skeptical - having been trained all my life that fat is bad and carbohydrates good.

I was wondering if people can tell me about their weight losses - how much per week? Have people reached their goal weights?

Thanks again.
Rain
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Rain,

you've come to the right place to get those anxieties addressed. Most of us have had the low fat/hi ccarb indoctrinationation and struggled with the major change in our thinking.

have a look on the orange bar at the success stories listed There are a whole lot of people that have done great things using this Way of eating.

Personally speaking, I have been LCing for nearly 7 months and have lost 46lbs so far. I have never felt better. I am the healthiest that I can ever remember. I sleep better, I have no aches and pains, my headaches have virtually gone...and I have so much energy.

At first (after induction during which I lost 16lbs) I was losing about 3 lbs per week abut as time has gone on this is more like 1lb per week (some weeks 2 some weeks none). It is quite slow but it is a very healthy rate to lose. I know I will have more chance of keeping it off it I lose slowly. From my time spent on this board I think I am about average.

I suggest you read read and read - both this board and other LC books. Protein Power is particularly good at explaining the metabolic process behind LC

Good luck
Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 18:58

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile Hi Rain

I've been using the CAD/CALP plan for about 2 months. I've lost 15 lbs. and I've gained so much energy and feel better than I have in a very long time.

Take a look at the Journals of the folks here that are using CAD. You can see the meals that they're eating (if they choose to post them, I do personally as a record for me) and that might help you see that it IS possible to eat the fats without feeling guilty.

For instance, tonight, we had NY Strip steak WITH the fat included, Spinach soup, salad w/dressing, roasted potatoes, mushrooms, coffee and Boston Cream Pie for desert.

Make SURE you're drinking at least 64 oz of water a day and keeping track of your daily weight so you can average it at the end of your week.

Start a journal as well.. that way you can keep track of your days and have others be able to give you opinions on what things you might change or just kudos for being successful!

Good luck!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default food and weight

Well, I had a large slice of pepperoni pizza - dripping with cheese, and a large salad smothered in blue cheese dressing today for my reward meal...I'm still having a hard time believing it!

My weight is down two pounds though - of course, part of that is ending my TOM, and the fact that I've been working out, but ... I am hopefull, even with all that pepperoni, blue cheese and mozzarella!

Thanks for your replies on the food! It's going to take me some time to adjust my thinking, but I'm daring to believe it!

Rain
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 16:59

BF:
Default Pizza

Pizza is the best! I usually make homemade and load it up with cheese, pepperoni, sausage, veggies.. I usually eat 2 pieces with a big salad and make sure to drink a huge glass of water while eating. We only have it maybe once or twice a month though. That is one night that I definitely DON'T have dessert!

I'm trying for as much variety as I can. I figure that if I have to eat this way forever.. I better get good at making things not become boring.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 18:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default complimentary meals

What about making complimentary meals not boring? I leave the house before 6:00am - I used to eat a clif bar for breakfast (before CAD) but lately I've been scrambling some eggs with mushrooms Zucchini and cheese. I just don't want to get bored of my complimentary meals.

In the morning it has to be something quick. One morning I didn't have anything in the house so I stopped at the store and bought some cheese, and ate a bunch of lettuce.

Any good and quick complimentary meal ideas? One thing that occurred to me (not for breakfast because of my time limit) is that I can have HOLLANDAISE SAUCE. Man, who ever thought I could eat butter and egg yolks in a sauce and lose weight!

Rain
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:23

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%

rainsimar. . .

Check the recipe section under "breakfast ideas" for some thoughts on breakfast. Sometimes on the week-ends I will "cook ahead" things that can be easily re-heated. Try the mock French toast or the sausage mock-muffins.

Besides, who says you have to eat just breakfast food? I had steak and asparagus one day.

I know what you mean about the low-fat indoctrination. I was skeptical at first as well, but after ten weeks and almost 16 pounds gone, I'm now a believer.

Butter -- yeah!

Blue cheese -- double yeah!!

It works -- it really does!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:38

BF:
Default Complimentary Meal Suggestions

One way of finding some good ideas (besides checking out the recipe section) is to read other CAD/CALPers journals. Many of those following these plans post their menus for the day almost daily.

There is a wonderful recipe I got from Animaldoc for Spinach Frittatas that you can make about 9 or 12 ahead of time and reheat them in the morning. I'm actually in the process of changing the recipe to add some sausage or bacon to them.. a little less spinach and may some mushrooms.

I often have leftover fried chicken or ham for breakfast. Sometimes just coffee. Lunch consists of leftovers (or planned overs as the case may be). All beef hot dogs and cheese on the side is a favorite. I love salad so I don't mind having that along with whatever I'm eating.

There are oodles of recipe sites online.. just type in "low carb recipes" into your favorite search engine and you'll have more than you can look at in a lifetime of low carbing.

Don't forget to post your findings when you try a new recipe and let us all know!!

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 13:55

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default breakfast

um..... today I had steamed broccoli with my eggs for breakfast. LOL.... sometimes I have red/green/orange or yellow bell pepper slices with a little cottage cheese and a couple of deviled eggs. I love asparagus and broiled salmon for breakfast. I happen to like really simple things.

One thing to be careful of though Rain........ is that you do get enough to eat each day. I found that after a while on CALP I wasn't hungry at ALL...and I wasn't getting quite enough to eat. Don't get stuck in that position.

Libby
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 17:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default low carb bars?

What about those low carb bars I've seen people mention - are they an acceptable complimentary meal on the CAD plan?

Not eating enough? It never occured to me that could happen. I did notice yesterday I didn't really want dinner - but I'd had a big lunch (my reward meal is lunch) including -----chocolate covered gummy bears - and then my weight was down another pound this morning! Go figure!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:36

BF:
Default Low Carb Bars

Basically, if you're going to follow CAD, if it isn't on that list in the book of Complimentary Meal foods, then you shouldn't eat it in your complimentary meal.

You have to try and think about it this way~it isn't necessarily the actual carb count that will do the damage, but the introduction of something into your body that will trigger an insulin release. The carb bars will most likely do that.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default carb counter

Then there's no point in counting carbs on CALP or CAD? I mean, no point in counting carbs when you are eating exactly what's in the book right? But I did notice that in some of their recipes they use cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, and other things that are not listed in the book.

I was thinking about buying a carb counter book...but if it doesn't matter maybe I won't waste my money.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 12:54

BF:
Default Carb counting

Quote:
But I did notice that in some of their recipes they use cream, sour cream, cottage cheese, and other things that are not listed in the book.

They are listed in the book.. under a heading that I'm not able to recall at this moment. My book is at my mom's house and I can't grab it to tell you the specific page.

I wouldn't buy a carb book yet until you're established in eating under the "rules" of the program. If you're looking for that information, you can find it online. There are probably a dozen carb counting tools on the internet.

The only carb counting you need to do is to make sure you're eating under 4 g during the Complimentary meals. For instance, say you grill up a buger, add some cheese and a slice of lettuce and you want some ketchup. THEN you should look at the carb count because Ketchup is one of those things that has sugars in it that can set off cravings.

You'll be able to tell what will set you off and what won't after a time. For me.. pasta sends me into a carbo-rama! I try to substitute other things (like cooked cabbage) for my pasta when possible.

Start writing down the breakfasts and lunches that you've especially enjoyed. One of my favorites is just basic grilled hot dogs, salad and some cheese on the side. When you don't have any ideas, you can always refer to your "list" for a breakfast or lunch idea.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default carb counts

Is that the general rule - under 4 carbs? I have seen that Zucchini is 8 per cup! But it is listed as a food that is OK. That means that if I were to have eggs with zucchini, which I love, it would be too high? Say...2 eggs and 1/2 c. zucchini. Also, do you subtract the fiber from the carb count? I was noticing that some plans do.

Thanks
Rain
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 17:31

BF:
Default Veggies

If it's on the list, don't worry about the carb count. It also says that we're supposed to eat an average size serving of these at the Complimentary meals. I think 1/2 a cup of zucchini would be about average. But again, you don't have to measure.

This discussion came up a little bit ago about the amount of carbs in some of the foods on the CAD/CALP lists. I think that many of the vegetables, even though their carb count might be higher than other vegetables, are vegetables that will reduce cravings for carbohydrates. That is why they're on the list. I've not counted a single carb since I started this WOE and I've lost 16 pounds in just under 2 months.

I "look" at the carb counts in prepackated foods that I buy (mostly for Reward Meals) and if it's sky high, I try and choose something else. But the Reward Meal is different anyway :-)

I would go ahead and eat what you like and combinations of things you like off those lists. Be creative! And of course, let us know if you come up with anything yummy!

Lisa