Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 17:19

Plan: Carb Addicts Lifspan Program
Stats: 252/252/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi, I am new to CALP.. Started today

A little history. I went through 19 days of the Atkins diet, I did very well, never cheated intentionally. Although I had a hard time with hidden sugars. I never in my wildest dreams thought that they would add sugar to frozen bonless skinless chicken breasts. Well when I found that out, I lost it. I sat down and drank 5 beers to relax and basically threw in the towel. That was 7 days ago and I have been pretty good on staying on track, except when I drink a beer (which is something I have done my whole life, a few beers after work to relax, not everday, but about 3 times a week). Also I wanted more vegetables. I couldn't take 2/3 cup of veggies I wanted more. I have found out that beer is a trigger for me. After 3 beers, I want a pizza, and some brownies. So I have decided to give it up completely. And I will admit when I wasn't drinking for those 19 days I felt great.
About 7 years ago I went on a fat free diet and lost 98 pounds in 8 months. Only to gain it back once I started abusing food and alcohol again.
So I am going to try this WOE.
I do have a few questions.

1.)In the book it says snacking is allowed. But you must have equal portions of veggie and protien. Is this correct?

2.) If you want to keep your carbs low, can you skip the reward meal? Or just eat more veggies, and skip the taters or noodles.

3.) They mentioned in the book to cut out flavored selter water, the water I buy is not flavored, but more of an essance. The label says it is that it has no artificial sweetners. All nutrients on label are 0. And if it is allowed, can I include it in my water intake? I have such a hard time getting in my water. I get so tired of it and it almost makes me ill.

Sorry that this message is so long!
I won't be so wordy next time.

Thanks alot! I look forward to your advice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 07:44

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Welcome....

Hope this WOE works out for you! I find it pretty easy to stick to, and I really like that I can eat carbs at one meal!

As you can see from my profile, I am on the older WOE-CAD. It worked for me before (until I stopped doing it-duh!) so I haven't switched to the CALP, but I think I can answer your questions. (Someone please correct this if I'm off base!)

1) Snacks are allowed in the proportions you mentioned, but (at least in the earlier book) they are only recommended if you have lost more than two pounds in the previous week. Yes this can happen on this plan-losing weight too fast!

2) You shouldn't skip your reward meal, you should enjoy it! This plan is based on the science of insulin release. Some people release too much insulin when they eat carbs. High insulin causes the body to store instead of burn fat. You release insulin when you start eating based on the amount of carbohydrates you ate at previous meals. 60-90 minutes later, if you are still eating, you release an additional surge of insulin based on what you are currently eating. This is why the RM is only allowed to be 1 hour.
The amount of carbs you eat at the RM doesn't affect your insulin levels as long as you stay within the time limit.

3) I don't know exactly what kind of water you are talking about, but if it's not flavored with sweeteners, it should be OK. If you're in doubt, it's probably safer to skip it! You'll get to like all the plain water you're drinking!

Hope this helps a little!
-animaldoc
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 12:55

BF:
Progress:

Thanks alot for the advice. I know that the seltzer was allowed on Atkins,, so I think it is okay.

How about Splenda? They allowed it on Atkins in small amounts. I like to have a glass of something different with my dinner. So I would be having it during the hour that I eat.

Hope this works for me.

Do you guys weigh yourself everyday?

What if you can't, is measuring okay too?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 12:08

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

As said above, the diet is based on insulin release. Unfortunitly, for many people, artificial sweeteners cause an insulin release. So, while not getting any calories/carbs, you are flooding your body with excess insulin which turns you into a fat storing machine.
So if you want to eat sweeteners, do it only at meals. And if you don't lose weight, use them only in your reward meal.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 240/232/185
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm starting today also. Well, probally tomorrow, as I have to go and do some Major grocery shopping! I am just psyching myself up by reading all the posts here!
Good Luck cathouse!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 22:19

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Good luck to you too Mark!

THIS IS A EASY WAY OF EATING! I was on the Adtkins and ate so much more because I needed a carb fix. There are a few more restrictions on this diet, but they are worth it. I love haveing a reward dinner. Tonight I had buttered noodles for the first time in 21 days. I think that this diet can be followed for the rest of your life. Good luck to you and have a wonderful locarb day!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 20:35

Stats: 270/224/160
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi Cathouse!
I am new to the boards here but thought I would welcome you to this WOE. I actually have only been on the plan for 20 days but have lost 23 lbs. I know that it sounds like a lot. In fact it is a lot but I have a lot to lose. However, I know that my plateau will be coming and things will be more difficult. I have only ever done well with weight loss when I have inadvertanily cut my carbs to one meal a day. I didn't realize that I could add protein and low carb veggies in for the other meals and still keep thin and not craving.
I think this WOE is fairly easy to follow compare to other plans. Low fat doesn't work for me because I am cranky all the time and crave more food. I don't eat large portions but if I eat anything more than one meal a day of carbs I am continually hungry. NOT a good feeling for me. I feel so much more balanced on this plan - not hungry - enjoying my reward meal! The one tip that has worked really well for me is these bars called Carb Solution. 2 grams of carbs. I use them for breakfast and they fill me up and taste good! I only like one flavor so far but one is enough for me! I am a woman on the go so making eggs for myself everyday doesn't appeal too much to me. Besides I am a vegetarian so I don't have the luxory of grabbing lunch meat or changing protein too much.
Anyway... I just want encourage you and let you know that you can do it!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 06:22

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default This diet is great

I simply don't have the cravings i used to have . I could eat a cookie and 20 more and still feel hungry. But now I stay satisfied. I eat my breakfast. and maybe a bite if at all for lunch and have my reward meal . I've never felt this good on a diet before.Hope everyone has the results that I'm having. Wawtigress
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi Cathouse! look at all the people coming here to talk to you already! Isn't this place great!?

It sounds to me that you're good at being honest about what works for you and what works against you (like beer=trigger). That right there is a plus!

This is MHO about your questions:

1)Snacking: the book says it's ok but later on, they also say that this can slow you weight loss, so just be aware of this.

2)RM: The book says that you can skip breakfast or lunch, or at times, even both! But "never" skip your RM!! The book says that we can have a smaller RM if we're not hungry, but NOT to skip it. See pg. 156 at the bottom.

3)AS: See pg 149. I used to drink a lot of flavored water to help myself drink it...Now I've stopped after reading this book. They basically say that anything with a sweet taste, might be interpreted by our body as sugar...(I guess that if the water you drink is not sweet, it should be ok)

I just started a week ago, we'll see what results I'll get. I "feel" like I'm losing, so I'm hoping for good results. The book says we need to get on the scale every day and -average- our weight at the end of each week. I don't have enough to compare averages yet, but last Monday I was at 134 lbs and this Monday I was at 132 lbs. For some reason...I like these numbers! LOL

Good luck and keep coming back!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:38

Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile

Congratulations on your decision to improve how you feel!! I've just started CALP as well, about 2 weeks ago, and I'm surprised at how much I DON'T think about food, or what I can't have. I look forward to those reward meals but I'm finding that I can barely finish them.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 07:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Default Hi CALP ' ers

I am so glad to see so many people giving the CAD/CALP a try. Reading all of the posts from all of you guys, sure does help one who is struggling, like me!

I know I could live with the CALP ..............IF I CAN LOSE WEIGHT WITH IT?????????????? That is the quesiton, yet to be answered. I have not shown really any true lost yet, but I did have 2 bad days that I really BLEW it..........so I can't blame it on the CALP. I plan to get back on very strickly today and we shall see what happens?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:44

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Smile CAD/CALP

Glad to see that we are increasing in numbers! This WOE really does work, just hang in there and follow the guidelines to the letter and you'll see results!

-animaldoc
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:58

BF:
Default CALP'ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was noticing how many we have!!!!!!!!!! I am excited to see so many names come up who are doing the CAD/CALP!
Just to name a few:
Scotty, cdrcrafter, tree rain, wawtigress, samtigress, cathouse, animaldoc, meeker, dadzben, simplyme, Icon109, cogin, mamarmar23, stormy, JoAnnAtkin ................and I am sure a lot more???? If I missed your name........please forgive me, I was just checking this morning on some of the threads of these names above.
I say..............THE MORE CAD/CALP'ers THE MERRIER! Right?

Keep joining the forum! This is GREAT to have so many doing the same diet we are all doing! I know Atkin's people out number us, but we all stick together, we can help each other a whole lot!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%

I agree JoAnn! I'm in the same situation that you are! I'd love to stay with CALP forever! The question is if I can actually lose weight on it!!?? I've lost my weight on other diets that did work but were so hard for me! This is so much easier, but I just started it...So I'm hanging to all the positive posts I read and hoping I'll have the same success eventually.

I know that I need to give CALP a fair chance in order to find out if it's actually for me or not. So, I'll stick to it for a month or so and see if my body responds to it...(I have faith that it will!!)

So, let's hold hands and hang in there...Only time can tell
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:13

BF:
Smile Hi Rain!

I would love to hold hands and help each other. Although, I do have a lot more to lose than you do. But, we are still in this together.

I have been on every diet you can mention, and yes, lost weight, but always gained it back. It would be WONDERFUL if this CALP program would really work, even if it is a slow process. I can live with it.

I must confess, my mother and sister were in from out of town..........and I did not do well at all these past 3 days. We were on the road all day long..........looking at Granite for my sister's remodeled kitchen. I had a very hard time staying on program.

So, tomorrow, I plan to start fresh. I am sure I have gained weight these past 3 days and I am so so mad at myself!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just do better when I don't have company! LOL

Please let me know how you are doing and Good Luck to you!

Jo Ann in TEXAS