Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-06, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 HARD CORE!
Stats: 999/999/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Newbie needs guidance

Hey all! Happy New Year's Eve!!!! I've been attempting to begin the CAD program for the past 2 weeks but I'm not losing. I don't think I'm doing it right. Maybe those of you on the program can forward me a typical week's menu, so I can see where I'm going wrong. Please! It would mean so much to me--I want to do well on this program. Any program that gives me the OK to have dinner with my husband is the program for me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:06

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi there! First off welcome! This is the best eating plan ever becuase you can have your cake and eat it too!! LOL!

Have you read any of the Hellar's books? All the ones I have give you sample eating plans. I do not have a set menu plan I follow. I have a list of things I don't eat. Anything not on the list is fair game. If you try perusing some of the journals of people folowing the plan you will get a better idea of what sample menus are like. There is so much you can eat that I could tell you what I'm eating and you would hate it.

Oh and I cannot imagine trying to start ANY plan during the two weeks around Christmas and New Years! Don't give up, but make sure what you are doing is what the plan calls for. Also, check out our cheat sheets sticky-ed at the top of this forum.

Maybe tell us what you are eating and we can let you know where the problems are?

Dawn
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 16:26
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi T-
welcome!
The biggest mistakes newbies make are not following the plan- and not balancing the RM. Some people can still lose if they don't balance, but I didn't. Please let us know what you are eating- like Dawn says you can see plenty of daily menus in the books, old posts and in journals.
E
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 15:17
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, so I'm really excited now. I had a fresh new start...again. I have the CAD book, but I'm embarrassed to say, I never read the ENTIRE book, which now I can see was a total necessity to really UNDERSTAND the program. So I read the whole book, realized that I was just doing it ALL wrong and made a fresh new start today. I'm even baking the CAD bread right now as I type so I can have French Toast tomorrow. I'm so excited!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 17:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Hi T-
reading the book is really important. I wil also tell you that if it were me, I'd also read the CALP or CAHHP books also by the Hellers (please just do an AMazon search on them and get all the titiles and stuff). These are much newer. Don't be disappointed if the bread turns out bad- IMHO many of the recipes are not terrific. And in the later books they are not as up on soy and other such ingredients.
One of the hardest things for new CAD/CALP people is that it is not atkins. We don't count carbs and try to limit them- it is really a carbs only at RM plan- and as long as the vegies are on the CM lists (see cheat sheet here on this site) they are allowed.
HTH-
E
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 17:45
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Eno--the bread turned out...funny looking! But I'll use it. I had chinese food for dinner with a side of veggies. I really should've had a salad instead and will have to do that from now on--have the salad when starting my RM. I'm still new at all of this and will appreciate any advise you can give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
Hi T-
reading the book is really important. I wil also tell you that if it were me, I'd also read the CALP or CAHHP books also by the Hellers (please just do an AMazon search on them and get all the titiles and stuff). These are much newer. Don't be disappointed if the bread turns out bad- IMHO many of the recipes are not terrific. And in the later books they are not as up on soy and other such ingredients.
One of the hardest things for new CAD/CALP people is that it is not atkins. We don't count carbs and try to limit them- it is really a carbs only at RM plan- and as long as the vegies are on the CM lists (see cheat sheet here on this site) they are allowed.
HTH-
E
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 08:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
just read a lot of posts and read the newer books. You are going to do fine-
E
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 05:32

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi again! I started with CAD but didn't know about CALP when I did. (Checked out a bunch of diet books from the library and CAD was the only one I thought I could do.) Anyway, it wasn't long before I skipped my salad at dinner and even though I lost on that crazy plan I made up, I haven't been so lucky this time. I am now doing CALP. It is a better plan, more updated. And I agree with Eno about the bread. When I hear bread, I think fluffy with flour, not the crazy lowcarb/no carb junk found in the appropriate recipes. I wait and eat real bread at my RM. Check out your library or Amazon for CALP. You won't be sorry you did!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 13:12
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad-dawn
Hi again! I started with CAD but didn't know about CALP when I did. (Checked out a bunch of diet books from the library and CAD was the only one I thought I could do.) Anyway, it wasn't long before I skipped my salad at dinner and even though I lost on that crazy plan I made up, I haven't been so lucky this time. I am now doing CALP. It is a better plan, more updated. And I agree with Eno about the bread. When I hear bread, I think fluffy with flour, not the crazy lowcarb/no carb junk found in the appropriate recipes. I wait and eat real bread at my RM. Check out your library or Amazon for CALP. You won't be sorry you did!

Thanks Dawn! I'll order it today--I feel fantastic!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 13:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teestang
Thanks Dawn! I'll order it today--I feel fantastic!!!

Dawn and Eno---the CALP book is the Lifespan Program, right? It says it's for people in the 40's and up...does it matter if I'm not 40 yet?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 16:03
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Hi t-

no- it does not matter. They were trying to get the demograhics to sell the book. It is more up to date, and I think better. In the first book I think you can get the idea that you can eat anthing for RM. This book sets better limits, IMHO.
E
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 18:09
Registered Member

BF:

I ordered the CALP book earlier today, but can give me an example of the RM on this program? Because, like you said, I've been pretty much eating whatever I want at my RM. I really feel guilty when I'm finished. Thanks!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 21:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Please read some posts about BALANCE. Again, it is a YMMV issue. Some people swear they don't have to, and others swear they must. They (Hellers) talk about it in the CAD book too- and having a salad at every RM is an option in CAD.
Don't feel guilty- you are supposed to have carbs!

CALP: balance 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 carbs/protein/vegies and a salad. That is your meal. No weighing, measuring, counting. Just balance and a salad.

HTH-
E
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 21:51
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, I'll read those posts on BALANCE. I'm still new at the lingo. What's YMMV? No dessert with your RM on CALP?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 06:23
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

YMMV=your milage may vary! (we are all different).
Of course you can have dessert in CALP- you can have any carbs you want. BUT it has to balance out withthe protein and vegies. So if you have a salad, a burger and spinach- your carbs can be a roll, OR ice cream, OR cereal, OR fruit, OR yogurt, OR a sweet potato.....
You can also be very creative and have a spoon of each, but that again is an individual thing.
Some of my favorite carbs are bread, cereal, fruit, nuts, and I seem to focus less on sweets. Then I'll go though a phase of wanting sugar.
E