Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/148/135 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Why isn't zuchinni or squash allowed?

Just curious!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 10:52

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats4me
Just curious!

Because there are too many carbs.

You can have them at your RM, though.

ETA: You had asked if anyone had switched from Atkins to CAD. I did. My stats right now look bad but that's because I'm pregnant and will gain no matter what I do. On CAD, however, I lost almost 20 lbs. (before becoming pregnant).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 10:56
Registered Member

BF:

Glendora, thank you! How long were you on Atkins before switching? I didn't know zuchinni was that high...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 11:47

BF:

I was on Atkins off & on for a couple of months. I found that when I "fell off the wagon" I would procede to go crazy with carbs and gain back everything I'd lost. Atkins is great and I would recommend that just about anybody try it but for a true carb addict, it's too tough to stick with.

So...welcome to CAD! It is such a great way of life.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 12:02

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

fyi: I switched from Atkins to CAD 1 week ago I like that I can have a controlled amount of carbs (anything!) once a day at the meal that I share with my family and the one meal that I was usually most tempted at when I was on A. -- dinner!!!

Zucchini squash (1 cup):

Calories 20

Total Fat 0.8g

Total Carbohydrate 3g

Dietary Fiber 2.3g

Protein 1.5g

I have no idea why zucchini isn't allowed at CM's and I was really, really surprised (and disappointed!) that it's not. I love zucchini and ate a lot of it on Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 12:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkil

I have no idea why zucchini isn't allowed at CM's and I was really, really surprised (and disappointed!) that it's not. I love zucchini and ate a lot of it on Atkins.

Because your veggie carbs at CMs are limited to 2 grams per serving.

You girls don't need to be so disappointed--you can have zucchini every single day if you like. You just need to have it at RMs.

As far as why some things can be done on Atkins that can't be done on CAD, it works both ways. But you can't mix the two together. You can't do low-carb for 2/3 of your day, but throw in a couple higher-carb things (like nuts), AND eat more frequently than CAD says, and then have high-carb at dinner. If you do that...well then you're back to the typical American diet, more or less. The only diet you'll find that allows you to eat anything, any time, with modifications here, there and everywhere, is the one that most likely got you on the road to dieting in the first place. It's a personal decision, though. If you want to eat more frequently and if you want to eat Atkins-approved foods not only once a day but throughout the day...then you may as well do Atkins. Everyone is an individual and you have to do what's best for you.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 12:18

BF:

By the way...I'm not saying modifications are a bad thing. They're not--some people do wonderfully on their own spin-off plans. That's what's important--what works, not what it's called. I'm just saying there's no need to be disappointed by CAD for not having all the allowances you might like. All that means is that you personally won't do as well on CAD and may as well go ahead with your own plan provided it works. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 17:12
Registered Member

BF:

I was just curious about the zuchinni, that's all. I know we can't have the best of both worlds! If I was asking about chocolate cake, that would be different, but zuchinni??? The numbers posted above say that a cup of zuchinni has 3 carbs, but 2.5 of fiber. Do we subtract the fiber? I have read the book, but didn't notice anything about subtracting fiber. I didn't mean to come across as complaining about CAD/CALP, I just didn't think zuchinni was too high in carbs. I'll gladly give it up to have a roll with dinner!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 17:14
Registered Member

BF:

nikkil- I'd love to hear your story about switching to CALP from Atkins. How are you doing???
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 18:16

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats4me
Do we subtract the fiber?

No, we don't sutract the fiber. We just eat the approved CM foods at CMs.

Zuchinni and Summer Squash were in the orginal CAD book on the CM friend foods list and then when they wrote CALP they took them out. I know several ppl on this board including me that eat zuchinni and summer squash at CMs. I don't do it everyday, but I have had them at CMs without any problems. Its a YMMV thing.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 19:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Momto4boys! I'll avoid it for the time being, maybe try it later.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 09:02

BF:

Since you don't have a journal.....*hint, hint* I'll post here

It's going pretty good except that a) I'm not losing as fast in the beginning as I did on Atkins and b) I'm having a little trouble controlling the carb cravings altho I've held out but they're stronger than when I was at this point with Atkins. I think it's having non-LC things for dinner, no matter if it's allowed or not, no matter that it's within the hour. The non-LC foods seem to be a trigger so.... I'm going to focus on having a smaller portion of the higher carb food than 1/3 and see how that goes. I don't have sugary stuff - I've been having either pototoes or rice or pasta and last night I had garlic bread for my carby food.

I have to point out that I'd been off plan (Atkins) for about 2 weeks before I started CAD, so I didn't go directly from Atkins one day to CAD the very next.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 14:08
Registered Member

BF:

nikkil- I'll have to see about the journal thing...I'm new to this site so I don't even know how to get one! I hope I don't start getting cravings. I'm not into sweets either, so I had a roll with butter last night for my carb. It was heavenly, but then I felt guilty. That Atkins mentality! I will give this diet 3 lbs, I won't let myself gain any more than that. I'd just switch back at that point. I've read to expect a gain of a couple of lbs, so I won't worry if I do gain a couple. But no more!! I'll go look into the journal!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 14:18

BF:

Here's a link:

How to start a Journal
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 15:45
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, I have a journal now!! YAY! Thanks nikkil!