Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 12:32

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 280/178/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Milk/Cream

Can anyone tell me if they use either milk or sour cream in an omlette? Im trying to avoid cheese a bit, but there is nothing to an omlette with out cheese.
I thought some sour cream would make it more filling.
Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 02:18

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Jacque--I don't know if this will help at all, but I have found that if I put the cheese on my eggs after they are done, it works out better for me. I was making my scrambled egg with shredded cheese in it, and might as well have not used the cheese because I couldn't taste it. Kind of a waste of fat and calories. I finally figured out that if I finished cooking the egg, and then laid the cheese on top I can really taste the little bit of cheese (I really don't like eggs much), and I can use a lot less to get a better effect. I know you asked about using s. cream or milk instead--haven't tried that. Don't know if you are avoiding the cheese for fat/calorie reasons or other reasons--but a very thin slice couldn't possibly be worse than using sour cream, I think.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 07:48

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default milk/cream

Generally milk and cream are not allowed outside our reward meals except for the little bit in a cup of coffee or tea once a day.

I am not sure about sour cream and I don't have my book with me just now, but I am pretty sure it isn't allowed either. A bit of cheese on top is probably your best bet, although cheese can stall. I have recently added a bit back to my first CM some days and so far it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Maybe try something else entirely for breakfast on some days, that way the eggs won't seem so mundane.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 09:16
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Fat is less on CAD than Atkins. I believe you can have sour cream but you cannot have any more milk or cream except for that 2 oz. other than at RM. Why don't you try thinking of breakfast as CM#1 and expand the foods you eat beyond eggs. I often have meat and veggies or protein rollups (w/romaine lettue leaves).

Often CADers think of CMs as just eating the proper foods to make it to RM. We keep CMs simple and pure. Check the cheat sheet or CAD book again for allowed foods. Try new protein/veggie combinations.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 01:51

BF:

Hi again, Jacque--I was thinking about your egg question, and remembered a recipe in the CAD recipe book that looked interesting. It is a crustless quiche that uses a drop of cream, a little cheese, spinach, mushrooms, etc. I've planned to make it, but just haven't done so--yet. If you would like me to post the recipe, just let me know. Happy to do it.. This makes several servings--so it could probably be reheated and eaten for breakfast several days.. I'm thinking that it would be quite filling, too..
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:27

BF:

Hi Tess
That recipe sounds really yummy!!
Would you mind posting it for me??
Thanks for the help
Jacquie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:53

BF:

Jacque--I made this today, and I'm in heaven!! Every single ingredient is "legal", but it just tastes so decadent! You're gonna' love it!
Hearty Breakfast Quiche (From CAD recipe book)
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I diced mine)
1 cup diced cauliflower
dash dried basil
paprika to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped leftover steak or chicken (optional)
1/2 pkg. chopped frozen spinach, thawed, liquid squeezed out
Preheat oven to 325. Oil bottom and sides of glass of 9" ceramic or glass pie plate or 9" square baking dish.
In a medium saucepan, heat cream until hot, but do not let it boil. Remove from heat and quickly stir in grated cheese. When cheese is melted, add mushrooms, cauliflower, basil, paprika, and pepper. Cool for 5 minutes. Add one beaten egg at a time, meat or chicken, and spinach. Mix well after each addition.
Pour mixture into oiled pan and bake until custard is set, about 45 to 50 minutes. Makes 3-4 svgs.
** This is what I did--(I can never follow a recipe as written--the rebel in me, I guess).. Left out the cauliflower--didn't have any. Increased the amt. of spinach, diced mushrooms. I used the spray olive oil, and it worked great. Didn't stick at all. I increased the eggs to 3--they were a bit small, and I'm trying to "up" my protein each day. It worked just fine. This is so unbelieveably good!!! After months of plain boiled eggs, plain tuna, etc.--to have a real breakfast was just great. I can see that the cream might cause a bit of a problem for some people (maybe?) if they also use cream in coffee (which I don't), and cheese will stall some folks, but there really isn't very much of either if you consider that you will be spreading the entire recipe over 4 days. I went ahead and cut mine into 4 equal sections, and put in refrigerator dishes. Would be great for a working person, who could heat it up at work in the micro. Hope you will like this as much as I do. It was worth the price of the book, to me...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:58

BF:

Wow, talk about the fastest reply in the west!!! ha ha!!

The reciple sounds really great, thanks!!
Ill pick up the ingredients tomorrow!!
Jacquie
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:15

BF:

How strange! I didn't realize that you had only made that post a few minutes before. We must have been thinking "quichey" thoughts at the same time. Looking back over the recipe--it seems like a lot of ingredients, but it really was fairly quick and easy to put together. Only took about 10 min. to get it to the oven. Don't plan on this if you're already hungry, though (voice of experience here)--it takes a LONG time to bake, if you're already starving...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:42

BF:

By the way, I finally got round to checking the CAD book, and it says that we can have sour cream!!
Not sure if I believe it though??
It is listed under complimentary dairy food. It does not list an amount,but I think I will try a spoonful or two in an omlette tomorrow.
If anyone has any bad thoughts on this please shout now!!!
Jacquie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:32
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hi Jacquie,
In the newest Heller's book that I have published 1999, The Carb Addict's Healthy Heart Program, sour cream is listed as a CM food.
Enjoy!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:44
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The limit is 2 tablespoons.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have never heard of sour cream in the UK. I wonder if I am living in blissfull ignorance or whether it goes under a different name over here. Can anyone help with this?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??

It a thick dairy product used for making dips and such, and it is sour/salty tasting. Do you have something like that there?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

Not come across anything like that so far. Only things we use here I think are Yogurt and Mayonnaise for various dips and coatings. I will have another look around the supermarket on Monday and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the info though.