Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Having second thoughts

After switching from Atkins to CAD I feel mixed feelings on this WOL. I love the freedom of RM's ,but not snacking is killing me!! I'm more hungry than I was on Atkins and at night especially I find myself wanting to eat things I am not allowed to eat. I'm scared to death of gaining on CAD and feel like I'm cheating when I have RM's. I've lost so much and am so afraid I'll gain it all back. Is this a common fear when switching from Atkins? I weighed in at 144.5 and am up 3 lbs TOM is due any day,but it still terrifies me! Yes I have averaged my weekly weights,but I'm finding the daily weighing to be more disappointing for me actually. Should I just weigh monthly or weekly? My biggest fear is stepping on the scales and seeing I've gained 20lbs back and having to start from square one. I don't know I guess I just felt more secure on Atkins as far as not gaining goes. However, health wise I feel so much better on CAD besides being hungry through out the day! Oh decisions decision! I don't know what I'm asking really just wanted to get out my thoughts I guess. Thanks for reading anyway..lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 08:00

Stats: 232/212/130 Female 5foot 7 inches
BF:44/38/20
Progress: 20%
Smile SHANNONLEA,

Please do not give up. I do understand about going from Atkins to having the RM's and being scared. I went from Atkins then did a 10day stent on Stillmans befor I started CALP. I too was affraid that I would gain. WEll I did gain 2lbs but they where gone in a few days. One word of caution though, so far since I have been on CALP 2 weeks now my daily weight goes up and down as much as 5 lbs. I know alot average the weight and that seems to help with the fact that the scale in up and down so much. Iam going to go back and average too.

So far Iam feeling great about this WOL. Iam doing CALP and I can snack if I feel like it. I have not found anywhere in the book where it says that I can not have 2 snacks if I want. I eat a CM for breakfast then and snack for lunch if I even eat that. I have my RM for dinner most of the time, and sometimes if Iam up really late I will have some celery with a little cheese or some sort of protien. I do not do that very often though. The hardest part for me is not eating the nuts for my snacks.

So how long have you been on CAD? You may just need to hang on for awhile longer. All of are here for you when you need us.

Take care and talk soon,Lynn Here is a hug to make you feel better.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 09:43

BF:
Smile Thanks Lynn

I appreciate the words of encouragement. I have been on
CAD two weeks now. I'm trying,but having more cravings for bad things a couple hours after my RM! Self discipline is difficult! I will hang in there and try. No matter what plan a person does it requires some self discipline. I'll continue to try. Maybe I should allow myself some low carb snacks if I get an urge to eat something bad. It has to be better than eating a Little Debbie cake! lol Well thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 10:21

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

That was my reaction when I tried CAD a few years ago. Just having the carbs at the RM led to HUGE cravings for more (carbs calling to carbs).

After a month of toughing it out, I decided it wasn't worth it to me to be able to have the carbs at RM if the rest of the night and next day were a horrible battle to stay on program. I went back to Atkins & the cravings left withing 2 days. It was a huge relief to me.

I hope things settle down for you and you can continue, but it doesn't always work. (No plan fits everybody.)

#5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 10:36

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I do have a lot of self control, but for me being on Atkin's and being told, certain things are off limits forever is too much for me to handle. I don't like to be told no and if I decide I want something sweet or starchy, well darn it, I am going to have it, so I think CAD is better for me. I don't feel like I am deprived of the enjoyment of some foods.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:06

BF:
Smile Hello

Tofi- Thanks for sharing your experience. I really don't know what I'm going to do just yet. I'm at a healthy weight right now, so if I do not lose anymore I'll be completely fine with that. However, if I begin to gain and eat out of control I'll have to go back to Atkins. Honestly I feel so much better than I did on Atkins. I had no energy and really felt bad. On CAD I physically feel wonderful,but I have not been eating a balanced meal as I need to. Tomorrow is a whole new day and I'm gonna try to make my RM's more balanced and healthier. I'm afraid in the excitment of being allowed to eat certain things I have gone a bit overboard with my RM's. The things I have indulged in are not good for anyone in my opinion! lol I'll just have to get stronger and I'm sure after the excitment of the RM wears off I will have more self control. We will see. Who knows.. maybe I'll go back to Atkins someday! I did feel leaner it seemed.. and not bloated like now! There are pro's and con's for me with any plan. I agree with you though you do have to find one which suits you personally. I think I'm gonna stick with CAD for awhile maybe through the summer months and just see what happens if I stay away from sugar, eat well balanced portions of healthier food. No more junk during RM's. I think that deserts are what are making me want more junk! Thanks again.

Gretchend- I see your point to with feeling you have more freedom on CAD. I guess I just felt more in control on Atkins. I feel I've become a binging fool on CAD and realize that is not what this was meant for. I hope my hogging days will end soon and I'll learn to enjoy RM's without being a PIG about them..lol Thanks for the input.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:04

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default RMs

Not eating like a horse at RMs is very key. I think once you settle down and realize that these foods are here and they aren't going away, you'll eat less and tend less to over do the RM.

Try to keep telling yourself at RMs that "these foods are not endangered" and you can have more tomorrow or another day if you feel like it. It's a control thing and YOU are in control.

It's true, not every plan is for every person. I have a friend who just couldn't control her RM and had to go back to Atkin's. For me, the freedom to choose to have a carb with my RM or Not is a great feeling. I also don't like to be told "No" and "Never again."

If you're using this as a maintenance program, I think that's a great idea and should work. Not going nuts over the RM is the key.

Best of luck and congrats on getting so far!!!!

Jeannie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

I do remember seeing somewhere in CALP that they said this diet is NOT for everyone. It is for carb addicts and if you arnt one, it might not be helpful.

Im not sure how to explain the cravings except wondering if there might be some hidden carbs somewhere or if balancing the RM meal might help, But as for the weightloss , it could just be that your body feels its at its healthy weight .

Anyway, you should do what works for you.

Good luck!

Jaden
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:26

BF:
Smile Hello

Jaden- My body is happy here I believe at this weight. If I never lose another pound I will not be upset. I just do not want to gain is all. I scored severe in the Carbohydrate Addicts test in the book. So I'm definately a carb addict. I guess like anything else your body has to get used to changes. I'm gonna try really hard to balance my RM's better. I know I have not done this before. Really I'm just trying to maintain and do not care if I lose another pound I'm quite happy to be at this weight.

Jeannie- Yes I am trying to use this as maintenance. I would like to lose these last few lbs,but if not that's okay too. Thanks for the input. It's hard not being a HOG during RM's when you've been on Atkins for 5 mos! lol I'm sure I'll get better. Thanks to all!

Last edited by shannonlea : Tue, May-27-03 at 12:28.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default hunger and cad

I was in exactly the same situation, shannonlea, I was hungry in the afternoon, and then when my rewards meal came I would let go, and then I would crave carbs again two hours later. Besides, I didn't lose any weight..sad, and confusing for me. Anyway, this is what worked for me because I'm never hungry and I started losing for real. I upped my veggies(I hate salads, so I make a two egg omelette in the morning with any veggies that I want, even corn and tomatoes. I bought a little countertop grill, and I grill zucchini, buttersquash, asparagus, tomatoes with a little shredded cheese, I boil cauliflower and then throw it on a frying pan with butterspray(SSSSoooooooooo GGoooodd) and salt, I put that spray and some salt on all my grilled veggies. For lunch, I will have any veggies with a protein(size of your palm), and maybe alittle cottage cheese with splenda for dessert. In the after noon I will have some veggies and a sclie of cheese or hardbioled egg with grilled squash. When ever I'm hungry I try to grab some veggies with a little protein. Dinner, veggies with protein, or a salad, and a dessert if I want it. I try to get the sugarfree creamy jello and have that with a little whipped cream on top. If I get hungry in front of the T.V(You know what I'm talking about, the dangerous time for snacks), I will try some grilled butter squash or cottagecheese, even a cup of strawberries with splenda. (I buy them frozen, put them in a cup, in the microwave till they are juicy and soft. A little whipped ccream on top(the one in the canister) I don't obsess anymore, and there are so many good veggies outthere, you would be really surprised what a treat they are with lots of butterspray and a little salt. Oh, and by the way. I joined a gym, I go every day(hmhm, I try to go every day, and do both cardio and strength. I even like some of the classes(Never thought I would enjoy going to the gym...) I find it really decreases my appetitie, and I can feel that my metabolism has been jumpstarted. Did I mention I feel better than ever? I have been a sugar addict all my life, I developed hypoglycemia because of it, but it's under control now. Anyway, maybe this won't be for you, we're all different, I just figured that Your situation sounded so much like mine...the weightloss and inchloss on this has by far outdone anything Ive ever seen when I did atkins or cad or schwarzbein. But maybe that's just me. I know these diets are working fro so many people, and I am still a lowcarber, but high veggie and five-six small meals a day, and dammit, if i want that dessert i eat it! let me know what you thinK? Best of luck in anything that you do!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 16:08

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I think your plan to stick with this for the summer is a good one. It takes time to settle into anything and since you are happy with your current weight, it seems your priority would be how you feel. As you said, you are feeling great.

I think the hardest thing about losing weight is the fear that it will come back. Sometimes, we even do stupid things to prove to ourselves that it will! Crazy!

Try to just enjoy your RM. They are a fun part of life and are repeated EVERY 24 HOURS! Relax a little and take the ride...

Deb
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:44

BF:
Smile Hello

Blue- So what plan are you on? Sounds like Atkins to me. I was on Atkins for 5 months and lost 33lbs,but honestly did not feel really well on it. I do feel better physically on CAD so I'm really gonna try to get better about balancing my RM's. I appreciate your input . I know that I'm not giving up unless of course I begin to see a significant gain! That is something I hope does NOT happen. Atkins worked so well for me I guess it is just a bit scary going to CAD.

Deb- I'm hanging in there and gonna give CAD a good try. I cannot give up so soon into this WOL and then blame it on CAD that would not be fair. I know CAD works because Sheilaraye a friend of mine on here lost 88lbs on it!! She inspired me to give it one more try. Thanks to everyone for all your input and advice. I really appreciate it a lot. It keeps me striving to make it yet another day.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 00:03
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

If you are craving after the RM on CAD it means that you are sensitive/allergic to a food in your RM. Usually it's wheat, dairy, or eggs. For a few days avoid on of these classes of foods from your diet and see if you still have cravings. It's a hit or miss thing but it needs to be done. If you have bloating or upset stomach along with the cravings, it's definitely an allergic reaction. Many CADers have to avoid or limit certain foods at RM because of their allergies. Once you find the trigger, you will do much better.

Another thing that can be happening is that you are eating non allowed veggies/foods at CM. CAD is not Atkins with a RM!! There are foods that are allowed on Atkins that are not allowed at CAD CMs. This is because a CADer can react to certain veggies that are legal on Atkins. Why don't you post a menu so we can take a look at what you're eating. We might be able to pinpoint the problem. There is a CAD cheat sheet on the CAD forum that might be helpful. If it's not on the list, don't eat the food except at RM. Some triggers can be diet sodas, mock danish, AS, broccoli, onions, red peppers, accent, MSG.

Good Luck!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 08:45

BF:
Smile Zuleika

Here's what I eat

Breakfast- 3 large eggs scrambled fried in real butter

Lunch- nothing

RM- Salad,fried chicken,baked potato, iced tea, brownie

I just discovered I have not given up my diet Mt. Dew. I had two yesterday and it was NOT during RM! Also have not really been drinking enough water due to that fact!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default mt dew

the mt dew could definitely be the culprit. Diet just means no sugar, it doesn't mean it does not have caffeine. Caffeine releases stored glucose from your liver which will definitely make your insulin go up. in essence it's like eating something sugary. Just check on caffeine on your computer, it will tell you what it does. Diet sprite and diet seven up contains no caffeine.
It's amazing that many low carb books will allow coffee and tea on these plans, when caffeine will sabotage the whole thing, unless you have very small amounts, like weak tea. hope this helps....?