Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:21

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%
Default Thinking about switching to CAD

I'm thinking about switching from Atkins to this WOE. Got the book from the library yesterday. It is really difficult at times to stick with Atkins and deal with the "Real World".
If I do, I may make my mid-day meal the Reward Meal since that is when I'm out there. I biought some brown rice, corn tortillas and whole wheat spaghetti yesterday. If I do it, I want to stick to whole grain products as much as possible.
I'm looking forward to some real enchiladas. Mmmmm. Re-fried beans. too!
Thought I would start yesterday but couldn't bring myself to do it since I am losing.

Do any of you have your RW at mid-day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 08:05
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

Yes I do...I like this better and I seem to lose better if RM isn't last meal before I sleep
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 08:42

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Barb,
Its definately a scary step. I know because I was doing Atkins also and was terrified to change. I was stalled on atkins for over a month but had lost 17 lbs and was afraid Id gain it back and never be able to lose it again.

In my case it ended up breaking the Atkins stall and got me to 21 lbs within a week. Now nothing again for the last couple weeks bummer. I hate being a turtle.

Anyway, Alot of people do report an initial 3-4 pound weight gain from atkins when they change but everyone Ive seen report that said it was temporary and disappeared quickly (maybe water gain? ) So if you do dont get discouraged. CAD really does work. I know I couldnt believe it either.

As to time of day of he reward meal, Logically in my mind I would have to believe that RM midday would be ideal. The book seems to imply it doesnt matter but it just makes sense that the earlier in the day you eat all those calories and carbs the long they have time to burn so I think you are set up for optimal use of the program. Unfortunately most of us are at work midday and cant really get the full benefit of a midday reward meal.

Another observation. CAD seriously cuts appetite for alot of us and many of us only eat 2 meals a day. I would bet if you eat your rm during the day you wouldnt even be hungry for another CM at the end of the day . Nice benefit

If you choose to go with CAD good Luck!!
We will be here for ya.

Jadenlea
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 13:36

Well, I guess I just chose. Asked myself how badly I wanted an enchilada. I could have passed it but chose to have it.
I had lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Lunch special was 1 enchilada, rice and beans. Even ate a few chips and salsa and had ice cream for dessert!
Lip was still numb from a dentist visit but I didn't dribble too much.
I am comfortably full. Will decide later what to have this evening, if anything.
I hope this works. It's so much more pleasant than not being able to eat along with others.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 15:06

Plan: Dr Atkins changed to CAD
Stats: 80/8/60
BF:
Progress:

Barb.

My 2 bits worth - from nearly 2 weeks experience on CAD. I don't have a scale - but my clothes are telling me about a weight loss.

What impresses me so much about this woe is that it feels like a permanenet woe - not something to break out of in the face of all the delicous temptations out there (I can have them legally!!); not something to stop and do something else when the weight is lost; and equally important - it is something with a built in mechanism to accelerate weight loss if necessary.

Enjoy your food and good luck
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 17:54

Shira that's it exactly. I have two places to go this week that include a mid-day meal. Yes, to the first one I could have brought my own lunch. To the second, A Mother's Day BBQ, I want to join the party. I can maintain for 1 hour.
On Easter I started nibbling chips and it went on for several hours. Now I know better.
Giving it two weeks to see what comes of it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 03:47

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool hi Barb

Very cool that you are trying CAD. It is a wonderful program, in my opinion

Just a friendly caution, make sure you really familiarize yourself with the CAD rules. Some people make the mistake of thinking it is just Atkins with a reward meal. It's not. CAD is more restrictive the rest of the day to make the reward meal concept work. No snacking (or just one), more restricted list of veggies for low-carb meals (CMs), no nuts, etc. It is vital that you follow all the rules.

Welcome on board!

Tracy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 04:35

Plan: Dr Atkins changed to CAD
Stats: 80/8/60
BF:
Progress:

Tracy or anyone else.

Do you know - either from reading the book or from your own experience - whether what and/or how much you eat during your reward meal affects weight loss? I am referring specifically to CAD and not to CALP.

I am delighted with the whole concept of the CAD reward meal - but it still seems too good to be true from a weight loss point of view - even taking into account the insulin factor. From a psychological point of view it is brilliant

Shira
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 05:03

BF:

I would imagine like so many other issues each persons milage will vary depending on their metabolism, activity lvl, age, weight loss resistance, and how much they have to lose, but you might want to go look at peoples menus in their journals who are doing CAD successfully.. People seem to be eating pretty much whatever they want for their reward meals. Some people have desert every night. Id be afraid to do that myself but I am such a slow loser.

just a thought.

Jaden
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 06:28

BF:
Cool Hi Shira

It really does vary, even within the same person. I have had times when I think my RMs have been very balanced and I don't lose, and other times when I eat a lot of carbs and still lose. I think the overall balance makes the difference and I find myself gradually heading in that direction.

It does work, it's not too good to be true

take care,
Tracy
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 17:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

oh my gosh... thank you so much for this thread!!

I've been a total turtle, mostly due to my wee obsession with sugar alcohols. So, some people over in Atkins suggested I try CAD. But I'm scared to death that it won't work for me, and I'll gain!! After all, Atkins is working, but I'm at 15g of carbs a day (excluding the sweeteners) and only losing 2 or fewer pounds a week, inconsistantly.

I suppose it's one of those "leap of faith" things, like Atkins was initially after doing Powter's low-fat.

Meep!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 04:56

BF:

2 pounds a week is terrific. I doubt you are going to see more then that on any plan excluding an occassional whoosh.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 05:13

BF:
Cool Hi Delilah

I have averaged almost exactly two lbs a week since I started this WOE in sept/02. I would love a little more, who wouldn't.. but the big thing about CAD for me is that it is so easy. No cravings at all anymore and I get to enjoy some of my favourite foods once a day. It honestly doesn't feel like a diet to me at all anymore.

So, I'll take the "slow and steady wins the race" approach, it's a great way to go

good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Tracy
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks all

I went out last night and bought the CAD book, in which they're constantly stressing no more than 2 pounds a week. Guess I was getting used to that 3-4 pound thing that was happening when I started Atkins! But even the 2 pound loss isn't happening when I eat the sugar-free sweets.

The Reward Meal on CAD is soooooo tempting, though! I'm loving the idea of being able to go out and have something "normal" with my friends. Still, if the sweets are my only stall, maybe I should just buckle down and stop eating the damn things!

Anyway, BarbCA, I'd be interested to know how your first week experience has been.

#15   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:05

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

If you are an addict, I believe, that the cravings will constantly drive you back to the sweets you desire. That was pretty much the feeling I got from the book. At least this way, you will be in control, not the sweets and you can enjoy them without worry, It isn't a free for all, however, so you have to be the judge whether or not you can handle the indulgence once a day....60 min..

Hope you give it a whirl...
Deb