Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%
Default How important are veggies?

I've never been one to savor the taste of cucumber or green peppers..I am finding myself avoiding adding those things into my complementary meals...my 1-2 cups of salad at RM is closer to the 1 cup measure... my low carb veggie portion is usually dwarfed by the size of my protein or high carb things...

I guess I am just losing my momentum with the LC way......gotta re-group I think...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:36

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I read in your journal (just left there) that veggies have always been a issue with you. Don't give up on lc because of it. You will just have to find a few things that you think you can tolerate and do the best you can. Think of it as medicine. Don't go crazy if it's not as much as the other portions, just get in what you can stand and maybe over time it will increase.

Quit trying to convince yourself you like something (bell peppers) and move on to something else. Can you eat lettuce?

Do the best you can, but don't make it a reason to give up.

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:16

Thank you quikdeb for your reply....

I am going to make it through this....I gotta...there really is no other choice I like not totally craving the breads and pastas as much as I used to...that is a good thing...

I will be trying a few new veggies to try and get back in the swing of things!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:32
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 163/156/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I hate all veggies except lettuce. I just eat a lot of lettuce.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 03:31

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default one trick that worked for me

I'm not terribly creative with vegetables, although I don't mind the taste too much of several, but I also find the prep work a real pain in the neck.

As you can see in my journal, my lunch salads are just lettuce and spinach. I buy the bags of pre-washed baby spinach leaves. They sell them with the pre-made bagged salads. What a difference from regular spinach. They really don't taste any different from lettuce once the salad dressing is on. They are more expensive than the gnarly old wash-yourself spinach, but much easier and better.

You could also try other forms of lettuce ..romaine, leaf.. and all those others whose names I can't remember. They all have more vitamins and fiber than iceberg.

or, maybe a glass of V8 or tomato juice at RM- could be a sodium issue though.

Good luck!
Tracy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 20:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

hi,
i think veggies are probably pretty important. cause even at the RM your supposed to start with a salad, then have 1/3 protein, 1/3 veg (lc) and 1/3 carb and or dessert.

try adding them into foods. make a really good dip! and use your veggie stick as a spoon!

dont give up though!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins switched to CAD
Stats: 328/305/150
BF:
Progress: 13%

I love green beans, I can eat them everyday. Yummy! I like Broccoli and Cauliflower just fine and I can handle a salad about every other day - not any more often.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 14:58

Have to say that I am actually starting to enjoy Celery...and lettuce of course... I have about 5 different types of salad dressing and dip and I have been doing quite well with those two veggies...I also have green peppers sometimes and I really need to try that caulif-fried rice some time!!

Thanks for all the ideas!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 20:12
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default veggies

you can try cauliflower. Boil it, then throw it on a fryingpan with a little butter and salt for about 7-8 minutes...soooo good, reminds me of mashed potatoes, you can also add an egg in there and sort of scramble it together. I don't like salads, most of my veggies are grilled( I got one of those little counter top george foreman grills, and I throw them on there with salt and pepper, and roasted garlic cooking spray or butter spray, try asparagus. put them in a glass in your fridge with a little water at the bottom, they last foreveer. Zucchini is really good grilled too, you can even add some sprinkled cheese after you take them off.

hope this helps, best of luck...hey, we know you can do it. dont listen to that inner child in your head when it wants something bad.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 20:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default veggies

you can try cauliflower. Boil it, then throw it on a fryingpan with a little butter and salt for about 7-8 minutes...soooo good, reminds me of mashed potatoes, you can also add an egg in there and sort of scramble it together. I don't like salads, most of my veggies are grilled( I got one of those little counter top george foreman grills, and I throw them on there with salt and pepper, and roasted garlic cooking spray or butter spray, try asparagus. put them in a glass in your fridge with a little water at the bottom, they last foreveer. Zucchini is really good grilled too, you can even add some sprinkled cheese after you take them off.

hope this helps, best of luck...hey, we know you can do it. dont listen to that inner child in your head when it wants something bad.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 20:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default veggies

#12   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 20:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default veggies

#13   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:38

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 184/179/139
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Just plug your nose and eat!

I totally agree about the veggie thing, I don't like any veggies except carrots and of course we don't get to have those for OUR CM meals, sooooo I am eating just lettuce like crazy and spinich leaves too (pre-washed)

I thought that was a good idea to grill some veggies. I never thought of using the George Foreman.
I too have put some veggies in the skillet with butter and with green beans (I can tolerate) I fry with butter and almond slivers (don't know IF we should have almonds, but that is the only way I can eat those things)
Oh, does anyone know about that?

Anyway I am bound and determined to force myself to try some different vegtables because I want to be healthy and I want to set a good example for my daughter.
It is SOOOO FUNNY because my daughter and I just plug our noses and try it together. I don't have to pretend that I LIKE IT for her to try it. Then after we eat it, we laugh and are proud of ourselves.
YES, don't stop with this WOE. If it means anything, just know I am in the same boat....and WE WILL NOT SINK!!!

persevere!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 19:31

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default VEGGIES!

I am totally amazed by how many people don't like veggies...... really I am.......

I just assumed that everyone likes them as much as I do.

Have you ever tried Napa Cabbage? It has a nice mild flavor. I love it in salads.

There are LOTS of different sweet bell peppers. Be brave, you might just find one you like.

Green beans..... okay, okay..... I see some of you eating those. Try purchasing fresh snap beans, they are much better than anything out of a can.

Tomatoes......mmmmmm... mushrooms, asparagus with mayo, broccoli, bean sprouts......... spinach... cuc's and cauliflower.

Be brave, boys and girls..... try the unusual things that you are not familiar with. Give it a chance.

Best wishes!!
Libby
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:32

This time around I have not been eating as many vegitables...primarily lots of protein and few veggies... perhaps thats whats been the slower-downer..

I will Learn to like veggies.....I will learn to like veggies...I will learn to like veggies...I will learn to like veggies..I will Learn to like veggies.....I will learn to like veggies...I will learn to like veggies...I will learn to like veggies..I will Learn to like veggies.....I will learn to like veggies...I will learn to like veggies...I will learn to like veggies..