Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 09:05

Plan: Low carb diet
Stats: 232/228/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibre

Hi everyone,

This has probably been covered a zillion times, but I can't find anything. So sorry, but need some tips.

What are good sources of fibre as I do struggle with constipation, and find eating enough fibre on low carb difficult. Should I do for a supplement?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 12:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Maybe this will help:

Gut Sense

https://www.gutsense.org

Everything he says turned out to be true for me.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 21:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fibre is an absolute no no for me.

If, like many newbies, you struggle with constipation, fibre can often make things worse.

What to do...

First, make sure you are drinking enough water . No need for gallons, but enough not to be thirsty.

Next, how much fat are you eating? Often, just consiously adding more fat will do the trick.

But the one thing that will work is to get yourself some magnesium. Best to start with a reasonably small dose, then increase as necessary.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 23:43

BF:
Progress:

Ooh thanks for the tips both of you.

Thanks WereBear for the link, interesting site.

Thanks Rosebud, I hadn't even thought about fibre could make problems worse. To be honest when I eat normally I don't eat good sources of fibre anyway, maybe breakfast cereal but even that I eat not very often. But fat yes of course I'd be eating more than I am now.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 23:48

BF:
Progress:

Oh as for water, I've always been good with this so don't think that's the problem x
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 13:08

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Fiber: Why It Matters More Than You Think

https://experiencelife.com/article/...than-you-think/

A blueprint to fertilize the garden called “bowel flora”

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...ed-bowel-flora/
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 10:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Remember: Every BODY is different.

When I used Gut Shot (bought at Sprouts, contains live flora) it was fine at first and then threw my gut way out of whack. The result wasn't fun. I gave it up, as I'm in good health and don't want to ruin what I have.

Psyllium husks are my fiber of choice, which I sometimes take mixed in plain water. I also have oat bran fiber caps. Again, I don't take much because I want my body to do it's thing naturally, if possible.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 12:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I went gluten free, felt my gut healing for over a month (I did! it was a kind of "healing glow") and since then I have been very fiber sensitive and must take care even with too many raw, dense, veggies like cauliflower and broccoli. Salad greens are fine, but such low carb mainstays as flax seed and other high fiber fare does not work for me anymore.

Likewise, sugar alcohols are literally "off the table." They rely on their low carb status with molecules too large for the usual digestion processes. Their effect on me is is like fiber, only amplified.

That is when I realized all the suggestions in Gut Sense were coming true for me; according to his guidelines I have very healthy gut flora now.

I am probably on one end of the spectrum for tolerance, while others might be at the opposite, so do keep trying to figure out what works for you. But as someone with a eating disorder background, and a lot of research behind me; there is such as thing as "fiber dependence" just as people can get too into laxatives; in both cases they can wind up with digestion that has to be prodded into action, and keeps requiring more for the same result.

Fiber can be a trap.

That's something to definitely taper off and then end for best health.