Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 05:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/130/118
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default I can't stay in ketosis so I feel unwell

Hi My name is Claire and I'm from Perth, Australia. I am 5'6 and began at 9st. I started Atkins on 16.1.03 and lost 5lbs in the first 4 days which has stayed off. The reason I'm writing is that I can't seem to stay in ketosis and so keep feeling dizzy and tired and can't concentrate. The longest I've been in ketosis is 4 days and the highest level was 1.5. Every time I've gone to 1.5 its been because I've had a piece of salmon for dinner the night before.
Probably best to write what I've eaten for the last few days to give you a better idea. I do an hour on the exercise bike 6 days a week and always feel less dizzy afterwards.
4th Feb
breakfast
2eggs scrambled with 2dessertspoons of heavy cream and 1 teaspoon butter

lunch
beef 5oz fried in olive oil
1/4 avocado,1+1/2oz cheddar, 1cup salad, 1 tbs butter

dinner
mince as above with 1 tbs mayonnaise
3 oz oysters in oil
1 cup veg, 2oz cheddar, 1/4 avocado

drinks: 3 weak decaff (very large 16fl oz each) with 1 dsp heavy cream each , 2 16fl oz water

Ketosis: nearly 0

5th Feb
breakfast
2 strips bacon, 1oz cream cheese

lunch
7oz sardines in oil, 2 cups salad, 1/4 avocado, 1+1/2 oz cheddar

dinner
9oz salmon baked in olive oil, 3oz kippers with 1 tbs heavy cream
1 cup veg, 10z cheddar, 1/4 avocado

Drinks: as above
Ketosis 1.5

6th Feb
breakfast
2 eggs scrambled in 1 tbs cream and 1 tsp butter

lunch
3oz oysters in oil, 4oz sardines in oil
2 cups salad, 1+1/2 oz cheddar, !/4 avocado

dinner
chicken 9oz sliced and fried in olive oil
1+1/2 oz cheddar, !/4 avocado, 1 cup veg

Ketosis 0.5

7th Feb
breakfast
as for 6th Feb plus 1oz smoked salmon

lunch
chicken 9oz sliced and fried in olive oil
1+1/2 cheddar, 1/4 avocado, 2 cups salad

dinner
10 oz minced beef fried as patties
1 cup veg 1+1/2 oz parmesan, 1/4 avocado,

Ketosis between 0 and 0.5

Why does this ketosis problem keep happening? It makes me feel ill. Last week I tried eating lots of butter on everything but that didn't make much difference.

I really hope you can help as I only want to lose about 4 more pounds. Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 06:47

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

At 5'6" and 130 lbs., you are already at an ideal weight. Using an on-line quick BMI calculator, your BMI is about 21. However, you state that your goal is 118 and you only want to lose 4 more pounds. If you are really 122, then you are underweight for your height.

Quite frankly, your body isn't going to stay in ketosis if it has no fat to burn. It can only burn what you ingest. That salmon you ate is a very fatty fish and probably contributed to you having a result at all.

You're also exercising, which may be building muscle while you are trimming some of your fat. You don't say whether you are taking any supplements, but that can also contribute to dizziness and feeling ill.

And your water consumption is fairly low. 32 oz isn't very much for someone on this WOE as well as exercising. The coffee you drink doesn't count as water.

If I've misunderstood your post, I apologize.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 18:27

BF:

Hi Sue,
Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me. The reason I want to lose that extra bit of weight is that it's that " post pregnancy tummy" - even though my daughter is now 12! I'm happy with the rest of my body and I do work hard to maintain it. I am aware of where I stand on the BMI however, as I think many people would say, the BMI doesn't see the lumpy bits when you're in bathers! This extra weight on my stomach does disappear when I lose that few pounds as I managed to do it a few years ago - and it means I can wear those short tops too.
Regarding the fluid consumption, I had been thinking that as my decaff was so weak it could be counted as water, but I guess not. Thanks for pointing that out.
I'm only taking a multivitamin which hasn't been a problem in the past.
Thanks again Sue.

Claire
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 18:48
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Claire, welcome to another Aussie!

I would actually reiterate what Sue has said. Trying to lose more actual weight may in fact be counterproductive. I've heard that underweight folk actually gain weight on a low carb eating plan.

Having "lumpy bits" is just part of being human. Those supermodels and actresses are either genetic freaks and/or have a lots of liposuction and other types of plastic surgery.

I know it's not possible to "spot reduce" but have you considered joining a gym for general toning up?

Meanwhile, you asked about dizziness. That could be either dehydration, potassium deficiency or both.

So I would recommend that you firstly drink those 2 (or more) litres of water daily. It just becomes a habit after a while. I keep my water bottle beside me all day and easily drink 4 to 5 litres with out trying.
As for the potassium, you can either take tablets (Blackmores make a "Potassium Compound" - available in health food shops, some chemists and some supermarkets) or use a potassium salt such as No Salt - available in supermarkets with the ordinary salt.

It is important to drink plenty of water while taking extra potassium. And if you choose to take the tablets, always have them with food, or they can irritate the stomach.

It's also important for anyone who takes fluid tablets or blood pressure tablets to check with their pharmacist or doctor before taking potassium supplements.

All the best to you, matey. Have you checked out our Australia/New Zealand forum yet?

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 21:11

BF:

Hi Rosebud,
Thankyou for your warm welcome - it's definitely great to have other people in Australia to talk to! Makes me feel a lot less isolated.
So it basically looks like I'm not going to lose any more. As I'm still on Induction do I now go on to the next stage?
Or do you think it may be worth persevering for another week as so many people say they have a plateau for 3-4 weeks after initial loss?
Thanks for the advice about potassium and about the water too. I don't think I'll join a gym but my husband has always said I should do sit-ups to reduce my stomach.
Yes I have looked at the ANZ forum - small but growing!

Thanks again,

Claire
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

If, in spite of advice, you feel a need to continue trying to lose weight, you might consider cutting back on dairy. Of the menus you posted, that was the only thing that looked a bit heavy to me - something that might cause a stall for "normal" folks.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 19:52

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Hi Claire

Welcome aboard.

Just wanted to say I started Atkins on Jan 16th also.

Oh, and my childhood Best Buddy lives in Perth also...

Darlington to be exact.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 21:19

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post Hello

I tell you what works for the tummy.. Pilates is GREAT! I don't know how popular it is in Australia. But you can order tapes online for abs. It's really changed my tummy.. Especially the lower part which stretches so much from the babies. I'd really recommend it because it is light exercise,but it really works specific areas of the body using your own body as resistance. Best luck to you
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 21:40

Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

shannonlea
what is pilates? can you explain it to me? i would like to know.

clairfm.
i agree with shannonlea you should tone up instead of trying to loose more weight, but you know how you feel. my husband tells me i look great. he is very helpful when it comes to making me feel good about myself. but there are sometimes when i just dont feel good about myself no matter what anyone says. i am of course obese acording to the bmi calculator. i am only about 30lbs over weight. go figure. If you are under weight, maybe you could tone up (build muscle) you wouldnt be under weight because muscle gain is weight gain and your tummy problem would disapear too. that is my 2$ good luck. I hope this helps.