Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-14, 19:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Okay, about 10 minutes ago I took my second dose.

As discussed, DH and I went out to dinner and I just got home. So, I'm not going to get all crazy on the podcast, I'm just going to lie in bed and finish up a blog post, FOR WORK, and see what happens.

Been a while since dinner. I hope it's long enough!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-14, 20:31

BF:

Hmm, getting sleepy. Glad it didn't crank me up.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-14, 21:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't have much of a placebo response, I've decided. I never, ever feel effects from taking supplements, except possibly a variety of choline and I think piracetam helped my brain a bit. I think I feel perkier and quicker thinking.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 11:18

BF:

When I started taking 10k of D3 daily, I didn't notice anything until two months later when I inexplicably started feeling improbably GOOD. That "sense of well-being" I had only read about before...

Well, I think taking the C an hour after a sumptuous dinner was a mistake. Not that I felt bad, but I didn't get that same feeling of good. Tonight should be a normal night, where I come home and take it hours after I had lunch.

And for the second time in a row I woke up at three AM and took 2 hours to get back to sleep again. I really don't know if it's the C, because it's also been hovering around zero degrees for the second night in a row. This means we put the SuperComforter on the bed and I fall asleep okay, but wake up when the plows go by at 3 because now I'm TOO warm.

It's not unusual for me to wake up to change position because I'm covered with four cats. And then I need a pitstop. But I usually fall right back asleep again.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 11:33

BF:

However, I gotta say that both nights I woke up with that good sleep feeling, especially my brain! And the dreams have been vivid and complicated!

Which is my usual, the bar is set high. I got DH some B12 right after his MTFHR diagnosis, and when it turned out he didn't need the usual, he needed the methylated, and I just threw it into my usual Bedtime Mix.
  • NightRest (from iHerb)
  • 1/2 a capsule chelated magnesium
  • my HRT medicine
  • and now B12

And that led to a new standard in Vivid Dreaming.

Also, in the interests of Science, I forgot to take my bedtime mix the first night. Woke up at 3 and took it then, except for the NightRest, which is "melatonin and GABA with key amino acids and soothing herbs." I've been using that for a couple of years now, just one more arrow in the quiver dealing with what is now my 3rd year of chronic adrenal fatigue. But I won't take it at 3 AM, it needs a whole night to work its magic.

But this served to highlight how the C worked. It is definitely good for my sleep.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 11:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Melatonin gives me some pretty wild dreams at times.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 13:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Fauve: Have you been tested for the MTFHR gene? Our doctor did it for us, and my husband tested POSITIVE. We have one friend in the area who also has CFIDS/ME, and they tested POSITIVE.

I'm thinking everyone with this illness needs to get their MTFHR genetic test. Because there are supplements which help a LOT.

Ah no. Never heard of it. Will check it out. Thank you so much.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 15:29

BF:

AUGH! I've been drinking Sugar Plum Spice tea... and just discovered it's not GLUTEN FREE.

&^~$%&~^$

Well, this explains the mildly unhappy tum. I've switched to a different tea and I already feel better.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 17:34

BF:

Plan in action. Ran some errands, came home , took my C. Now all the living creatures are occupied somewhere; that is, they will leave me alone

Getting that podcast finished up at last! Yes. I think I have more energy.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 18:54

BF:

And here I am, winding down for bed, with no dinner, and no real desire for it, either.

I'm going with that.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 07:24

BF:

Third night in a row I have a 2-3 HOUR gap in my sleep, which is otherwise exquisite. It is not something that never happened to me before, but 3 nights in a row does make it unusual.

Am I in ketosis? (Skipping dinner would deepen it, I imagine.) Am I being awakened for more C?

The weekend is coming up, so if it happens again I might just get up until I get sleepy again. Lying there is a waste of time.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 11:27

BF:

So it's lunchtime, and I'm eating prosciutto rolled around sharp cheddar, with olives. Yesterday it was antipasto salad, with dressing and extra hemp oil, so today I'm hoping the olives will provide enough fat.

My point being that these are the kinds of lunches I've been eating, then go home & take my packet of Lipo-C, and then not have dinner. I am a bit surprised.

Then again, I would like to lose 20 pounds. I was down to 160 and then got sick and had rounds of antibiotics and indulged in starches and had stress stress STRESS this past year; all of which is known to pack on the pounds. I'm probably lucky I only gained 10!

So if ketosis needs fat to run on, it's there, all I'm saying.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 19:12

BF:

So I decided I wouldn't eat unless something appealed to me; and Greek yogurt with raspberries and chopped walnuts, did.

Certainly not the prime rib with hollandaise I had 2 nights ago, so let's see if this changes my sleepytime luck.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-14, 07:27

BF:

All right! Woke up twice, but got back to sleep twice, racked up over 8 hours in total.

And this Vitamin C sleep is wonderful. When I come out of meditation, I often have this relaxing sensation of "coolness" localized in my face and shoulders; probably areas of tenseness that the meditation has addressed.

Now, I get that from waking up.

Today, I'll take one in the morning, too.

It's a bit pricey; they are a dollar apiece. But as discussed, there are ways of making it yourself for cheaper! I plan to investigate that going forward.

I was looking into seeing a naturopath or other alternative practitioner because my doctor keeps looking at the test results and saying he can't find anything wrong with me. The first appointment would have been less than what I've spent so far.

I've been low carbing for over ten years now; my job does not demand too much in extra hours, I have a happy marriage, good friends, and plenty of creative outlets to occupy my free time. I'm not depressed; I know what that is. This is totally physical.

But I'm looking at the start of my third year suffering from what I'm convinced is adrenal fatigue. 2013 has made it worse, and it was all sheer stress.

Thanks to this excellent article on Liposomal Vitamin C, I really think this new supplement can be the key to getting my energy back.

In any case, I'm willing to try.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-14, 08:47

BF:

And in case anyone doesn't want to click on links, I'll summarize:

Adrenals suck up the most vitamin C in our entire system. Stress, whether physical or mental, is the equivalent of putting the pedal to the metal, and then our adrenals suck up C like an 8 barrel carb.

I did feel better taking vitamin C tablets several times a day. But there's a limit to how much gets into the system that way. If my "gas tank" is empty, my oral C intake is not enough. I'm just not filling up that tank fast enough, considering that I'm still driving around.

Liposomal C bypasses the digestive system/bloodstream pathway a bit; it's a form that is both highly absorbed and goes to the liver. Then, the liver distributes it directly to the places it is most needed.

My goal is to refill my tank.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Jan-10-14 at 09:08.