Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-11, 05:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Omega 3 and Omega 6: a dramatic conflict

Through a series of events, I got a focused view on what Omega 6's do to me: it literally ain't pretty.

After a spell of avoiding seed oils, I had something made with it; and got a breakout. Mind you, I'm 51 years old! That's because it's not acne; it's rosacea.

However, my rosacea has been steadily improving the more I low carb. As seen in this picture:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...mageuser=128464

If you compare my neck skin (where I've never had rosacea) with my face, you can see that despite the lousy picture quality, I've got nearly "normal" skin now. It also FEELS incomparably better; no more itching and burning and sci-fi fantasies of having it freakin' replaced because it's so annoyed with me

I know a lot of smart people on this board emphasize watching your Omega 6 vs Omega 3 ratio. I'm glad I listened.

So ditch those seed oils! They might be causing havoc and you have no idea.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-11, 12:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I quit using seed oils a few years ago. the only oil that I use is olive oil, a fruit oil. While I haven't noticed any external body differences, I believe that my internal body is much healthier.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 11:47

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

thank you. I certainly noticed I feel a lot better since cutting out the Omega 6 supplements, and just taking the salmon oil omega 3 supplements. I've cut out all oils except for coconut and olive oil. feeling better since.

But I am wondering about CLA and GLA whether those 2 (or are they the same one???) being an Omega 6 would leave me worse again if I tried supplementing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 12:57

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Quote:
Originally Posted by napattack
thank you. I certainly noticed I feel a lot better since cutting out the Omega 6 supplements, and just taking the salmon oil omega 3 supplements. I've cut out all oils except for coconut and olive oil. feeling better since.

But I am wondering about CLA and GLA whether those 2 (or are they the same one???) being an Omega 6 would leave me worse again if I tried supplementing.

CLA is a natural trans fat found in animal products, GLA is an anti-inflammatory omega-6 fat.

I too avoid seed oils. I never really got into them in the first place. Always used either butter, tallow, or olive oil.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 13:25

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default too many omega 6s have given me arthritis!!!

I think I've had too much of those dang omega 6s in the last few days - for various stupid reasons - and now I've got painful arthritis on and off in my right hip... Plus my fingers are stiffer than they were. The only thing I've changed lately - for various silly reasons - is that I've had sunflower oil, peanuts and various meals with legumes (my eldest daughter has gone vegan, of all things).

I am now going to strictly reduce any consumption of foods high in the dang 6's and see if the arthritis pain goes away again. No more seed oils, no more nuts and no more legumes for a good while...

I think I seriously got too much all at once and it has triggered some inflammatory process in my joints.

I used to think all this anti-PUFA business was a bit over-rated ("pufa-schmufa" I used to think to myself), but now I think I was very very wrong to see things that way.

I shall report back when I've been off the sixes for a while longer.

amanda