Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-11, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Adkins
Stats: 221/199/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Question Magnesium and Depression - LONG Post

When I started the Adkins WOE in February of this year, I POURED over the forum on this good site concerning all required to make the successful transition from EXTREME sugar addiction to healthy nutrition. And in all of the various posts and anecdotes found, I found a treasure of information on DEPRESSION.

I am a ‘career’ depressive, having suffered from the affects since I was 13 years old…diagnosed at a time ‘way before it was recognized by the medical/mental health community. My life as been one therapist after another, and I have been on more medications than I care to remember. Despite all of this ‘help’ I slipped further and further down as I aged. At the tender age of 56 I suffered a crisis that had been months…nay, YEARS…coming. Eventually I locked myself into my bedroom, and demanded my poor hubby keep me supplied with junk foods of the most heinous sorts (Hershey candies, ice cream, and corn chips….TONS of corn chips.) I ate and slept, read tons of books, and wrote fanfiction of the most cloyingly romantic yet violent style.

Still writing that fanfiction…

HOWEVER, I am happy to report SINCE I have begun taking Magnesium Glycinate, D-3, Omega-3s AND instituted the WOE encouraged through this forum (along with exhaustive study online), I have enjoyed a renaissance of mental and physical energy, ambition and well-being. The professional who monitors my health has insisted upon a ‘maintenance’ dose of antidepressant that may retard weight loss just a bit, which is surely offset by weekly fasting intervals—I am happy with gradually losing. In the four months since beginning LC, I have returned to taking my riding lessons (Dressage/English), have resumed a social/working life, and reacquainted with the vacuum cleaner (who admits she has missed me).

NOW:
I have two daughters, one 19 and still at home, one 26 and married. BOTH young women display mood swings and the physical manifestations I experienced as a young adult. Both suffer near-homicidal PMS, constipation, erratic digestion, problems with sleep, fatigue and so on. I KNOW my eldest is depressed due to situations self-inflicted. She drinks to excess, is ‘prickly’ at the best of times. My youngest is a sugar binge eater, weighs over 300#, has constant ‘online’ love affairs because she does not connect socially. She works, and lives here with us.

I WANT TO OFFER THEM BOTH THE MAGIC I have found here. If not the WOE, at least the benefits of the supplements I take. I know some still scoff at the idea Mag, D-3 and Omega-3, together or separately, could have such effect on one’s mental health, but I have LIVED it. It is real.

I could buy the supplements, and offer them each those, but although the eldest MIGHT give it a try, the youngest gives me grief for all the ‘pills’ I’ve taken…rightly so, perhaps, when I was on 3 or 10 a day for depression, that merely made me a mindless, brain-dead drone. But NOW…

Any advice? Words of Wisdom?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 22:44

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I've never been able to get my kids to do anything, so I am no help there

I just wanted to say I am glad that you found a way to feel better! I suffer from depression, was given lexapro(which made me so flipping tired that I had to get off of it).

I started taking mag about a month ago, and I also feel better. The things that would send me into a crying fit in the past, don't have that affect on me these days. I wouldn't say its a miracle, and I am far from normal on the happiness scale, but I will definitely keep taking it
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-11, 10:59
Registered Member

BF:

Give all this a while...I gather it takes some time for a body deficient in any of these to 'stock up'. I did feel an immediate sense of wellbeing with the Mag and D-3. I've added the Omega-3 in the past month.

And you are certainly right about not being able to 'lead' a child to happiness. I bought teeny-tiny plastic ziplock bags, made up 30 days of Mag/D-3/Omega-3, a bottle of 30 addition Mag to take at night. Put it all in a lovely, velvet-covered box. Presented it to my eldest for her birthday. She laughed, and said 'Sure, I'll do anything at this point!"

Now she tells me she hasn't started them because she is waiting for the 'right time' to start. HUH?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 16:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's such a compelling story Silver Div. If my genes had been tweaked just a bit differently, it could easily have been mine! What you describe does run in my family.

And what low carb, Vitamin D, and now magnesium has done for my moods is incredible. I used to have good days and bad days. Now, it's amazing how I have good days, and great days!

Even if all you can do is lead by example, it sounds like you are setting an excellent one.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 17:54

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Yesf leading by example!!
I have to day I ran out of fish oil and after 2 days of not taking it I was a mess. like you I've been depressed most of my life.
I was upset and crying and I'm not usually like that anymore!!
The magnesium is beyond amazing also. I have my husband taking it twice a day and his mood swings are gone unless I miss giving him a couple doses.
Good luck. BTW as you probably know alcohol is a form of self medication for issues such as depression. I'm working on my brother when he comes to visit this coming week. I'll let you know how things go!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 17:55

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Oh for your daughter living at home could you get some water that has the magnesium in it!?!?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 22:44

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Oh for your daughter living at home could you get some water that has the magnesium in it!?!?
Good idea, you can easily make your own - check out:
http://www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 07:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

my heart goes out to you and your girls. It sounds like while you are sooo thankful that you found this WOL you would love your DDs to give it a try.

My son did LC and was taking D and omega 3s while living home lat year- changed his life. I gave him a copy of GCBC by Tuabes- and then we could talk about it. I told him it looked like he had the same physical reaction to carbs as me- that is must be genetic- and how lucky he was to figure this out now in his 20s. DD has the same issues. We have had many talks, at her request, but she is still unwilling to do LC. It does not work with her 'lifestyle'- whatever.

You can talk to your girls, tell them how they feel is not their fault, and that there are things they can do to feel better and manage their moods. The field is even called 'neutraceutical' (sp?)- better living through nutritional changes. Walking daily is also right up there with mood change- as is not drinking alcohol or smoking any kind of drug.
You can be an example- and just be there for them if and when they are ready. It is really hard loving someone and seeing them in pain, and not doing something positive. It took you a long time to figure out what works for you- hope your DDs get it sooner.
Congrats on your success-
E
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:29

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

I hear ya about kids resisting changes, even simple ones like taking vitamins! My whole family for that matter tends to dismiss my WOL but people I barely know have come up to me and commented on my improvements, asked what I am doing.

Like the man said, A prophet is not without honor except in his own hometown.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 18:43

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 178/172/148 Male 5"7
BF:
Progress:

Do you feel like you need the magnesium daily intake in a way that your mood drops significantly as a result if you miss a dose. I've had depression most of my life so I am looking for natural means to deal with it. I'm already taking allergy medicine and other supplements. I just didn't want to over do it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 22:20
Registered Member

BF:

Amiller: I would hate to say these supplements are all you need to stop being depressed...that is pretty unrealistic for depression, as it is, after all, a very complex illness. I still have 'blue' days, but generally it is because there is a stressor or situation I am NOT ready to deal with. Got a situation right now hanging over my fool head, and resolution is slow coming. I've been staying in, reading books and brooding mildly, but still get out of bed and prepare for the day.

That said, I also feel these supplements, in conjunction with all the positives of losing weight WITHOUT the hypoglycemia, moodiness, feeling of deprivation, et. al. offered by eating LC have given me effective weapons against my depression. My WORST days are just a shade darker than my former BEST days pre LC/Sups.

And I am still on a 'maintenance' dosage of Prestiq. Before I was taking a fearsome dose of that plus a big dose of Welbutrin, with Valium in the cabinet for the days I could not stop crying. I was a mess.

I understand your wish for a more 'natural' treatment for your depression, but realize that can only go so far.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 22:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default Update!!!

Having given my eldest her 'birthday' gift of 30 days of the D-3/Omega-3/Mag in 30 wee plastic bags for her convenience...she told me the following week she was 'waiting for the right time to start'!

Eh!

THEN she told me she had quit smoking and I reinterated to her NOW would be a FANTASTIC time to start those supplements! Of course, I didn't wish to NAG, so I just zipped it.

TWO weeks ago, she and her hubby stopped by and...she dropped a K-State onesie in my lap. It took me a moment before I realized what the significance of the tiny baby outfit meant...but I got there EVENTUALLY.

SO, I'm going to be a grandmother. Meghan is 8 weeks along.

AND I brought up those supplements, telling her they would be EXCELLENT additions to the prenatal vitamins she's taking now. She says she will take it up with her OBGYN. Sigh.

Right now she is barfing every morning and is having trouble holding down breakfast, much less the prenatals. Seems like a bad time start nagging about the 'sunshine supplements'.

I've ordered her Sea-Bands to help with the nausea...I KNOW she'll use them!