Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-06, 11:08

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Am I too young .....

i am almost 100 % sure that 2 kids enough for us and i doubt we have anymore .... but there is always the "what if" factor ... so my question is am i too young to have my tubes tied??

how many kids do you all have and is that enough for you??

i will be 27 when this last one is born ....

thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-06, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

As long as you are questioning it, I would say wait. You can always have it done later. Good luck with your pregnancy.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-06, 18:25

Stats: 250/247/135 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much
Progress: 3%

Agree, if in guestion you are not ready. Do some research and your situation.

Wish you the best
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 12:57

BF:

i think you girls are right, but i do feel as though i should get them tied. and i really don't want anymore now. i am jujst afraid in a few years i will regret it .... i think i will talk ot my doc about it. my pregnancies are not at all easy .... maybe i will just see hwo this one goes.....

thanks for your replies!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 14:12
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy411
i am jujst afraid in a few years i will regret it .... i think i will talk ot my doc about it. my pregnancies are not at all easy .... maybe i will just see hwo this one goes.....thanks for your replies!

If in a few years you think you will regret it, than I would advise you NOT to have a tubal ligation (and that's what I would advise any of my patients' with the same concerns). There are many options for birth control that can be as effective as sterilization (like the IUD). Please have a conversation with your health care provider. Remeber--a tubal ligation is considered a PERMANENT method.

I would also agree with the previous posters--if you are having to ask the question than you probably are not ready.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 16:13
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

I agree w/ the others. You should wait until you have no doubt at all. I had a tubal ligation when I was 27 but I knew that was what I wanted and had no doubt whatsoever. My doctor wanted to know that I knew, that I knew, that I knew that's what I wanted. I DID. I don't regret it but that's very individual. I had a 3 year old at the time. Funny, years later I was granted legal guardianship of my nephew and I love him to death but I really only wanted one child. I'm now 35 and have a 10 year old & a 6 year old and don't regret that I had the surgery so young.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 16:22
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I had a tubal ligation at age 27, but it wasn't entirely my choice. I'd had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, and scarring in the other tube, so the doctor and I decided another pregnancy would be too big a risk.

I did have some twinges of regret, and given a choice, would have opted for less permanent means of birth control until I could make the choice and feel certain about it. It turned out to be the right thing for me in the long run, but I really agree that it's something you have to be SURE of before you go through with it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Amy do not make any big life decisions when you're pregnant!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 21:54

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Dont do it! After my 2nd, I was sure that was it. I begged DH to get a V. I pleaded to plese let me get done. We made a desicion that neither one of us would have anything permenant till our youngest was two. So, low and behold 7 months after all the begging, it was me that wanted another. She's here now and I think we are going for one more
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 11:42

BF:

still haven't totally made up my mind.... but honestly i am leading towards yes, get it done. talked to dh and he agrees...2 is enough ! but we shall see........

thanks for all of the replies
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 11:52

Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

I had mine tied at the age of 25 after 2 sons and I was certain I NEVER wanted anymore kids. My then DH left, I met a new guy 7 years ago who had no biological kids, got married, had a tubal reversal done 3 years ago and I have never gotten pg. There are SO many ways to prevent a pg. Tubal liagation is almost always unreversable. I know a couple who lost their only two sons at the hands of a drunk driver and are unable to have anymore kids because of a liagation. I don't want to scare you, but our minds and circumstances in life do change, so leave a liagation as a LAST resort.

Just my 2 cents.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 08:54

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I agree you should wait if you aren't sure. I just got my tubes tied this week after a miscarriage and even then I was a little torn but at my age, the risks of pregnancy are so great.

I think you should wait - it's not a major procedure and you are home the same day so it's definitely something that doesn't need doing right away if you aren't sure.

Hugs
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 09:33

Stats: 244/219/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I'm 35 with one child, which is enough for me, but just in case I want more I won't get a tubal. I'm getting the IUD this week, its good for 5 years or can be removed sooner if we do want more kids.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 10:58

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

If you have ANY qualms about a TL DON'T!!!!! I got talked into a TL right after the birth of my DD (now 17) when I was only 21. I ended up having an unsuccessful reversal a few years later and spend a ton of money on unsuccessful fertility treatments.

Please learn from my mistake!!!

Take care, Julie
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 11:10
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I was talked into one after the birth of my daughter at 19 by my then husband, who did not want any more children, after our divorce he remarried and had 4 more kids, but I could not, although I would have liked to have more.