Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 09:54

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Smile soy protein isolate & whey protein

Hi everyone,
I don't know if this has been discussed before (I did a search and couldn't find any), is it healthy to eat a lot of soy protein isolate/whey protein? Are these considered 'frankenfoods'?

I don't have any thyroid issues so I eat lot of soy (milk, tofu, etc). I actually haven't tried whey yet, but was thinking of using that next . I heard whey was actually healthier than soy protein isolate, is this true? Boy I'm sure asking lots of questions !
Thanks!

Happy Low Carbing
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I ask myself the same question all the time and never come up with a good answer, so I hedge my bets and have a bit of everything. I have both whey and soy protein shake mix right now, but I really try to eat real food whenever possible. I don't really trust food that comes from a lab.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Here's a good start:
Taken from The Weston A. Price Foundation--
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/energybars.html
Quote:
CHEAP PROTEIN
The real boost for the bar business came with the advent of cheap soy and whey proteins that could be added to make a "high-protein" bar. Barry Sears' BioZone "Programmed Nutrition" bars were among the first of these, with several imitators following, including Balance Bars ("The Complete Nutritional Food Bar") and ZonePerfect Bars ("All Natural Nutrition Bars").

But there is nothing natural about the protein used in today's energy bars. Soy protein comes with an initial burden of phytic acid, enzyme inhibitors and isoflavones. More toxins are formed during high-temperature chemical processing, including nitrates, lysinalanine and MSG. Soy protein must be processed at very high temperatures to reduce levels of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors, a process that over-denatures many of the proteins in soy, especially lysine, making them unavailable to the body.

Whey protein is inherently fragile and must be processed at low temperatures or its qualities as a protein are destroyed. That is why casein rather than whey protein is used in animal chow. When cheese, butter and cream were made on the farm, the whey and skim milk were given to the pigs and chickens. But today these products are made in factories far from the farms where they originated, so the industry has a "whey problem," solved by drying the skim milk and whey at high temperatures and putting the powders into energy drinks, body building powders and high-protein bars.

Other major ingredients include high fructose corn syrup (or concentrated fruit juices, which are high in fructose), an ingredient that has been shown to be worse for test animals than sugar. Other ingredients include "natural" fiber from oats, apples, soy and citrus. Sometimes maltodextrin is given as the fiber source. "Natural flavors" and piles of synthetic vitamins are thrown in so the bars can be called "complete."

On the plus side, the fat source in most energy bars is often palm, palm kernel or coconut oil. Barry Sears' original BioZone bars contained partially hydrogenated soybean oil—until he met up with Mary Enig at an Oil Chem conference where she reminded him about the problems with trans fats and wondered how he could promote bars containing trans fats as nutritious.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 21:14

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Smile

Hi Kristine, OHGal1415,
I wish I could believe they are 'almost' natural, since I use them for all my baking needs. I love baked foods! Aside from the protein powder, I only add foods like eggs, butter, cinnamon and flax. OHGal1415, according to the article you posted, those powders are bad . I rarely eat protein bars though.