Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Dr. Atkins is my god
Posted by kingb123
Posted Wed, Sep-03-03
Male 6'
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/170/155
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%
Default Dr. Atkins is my god

I've been overweight my whole life. I've tried doing low-cal diets, exercise daily, and nothing ever worked. My mom, as a former nurse and current scientist, tried to help me with my weight problem, but to no avail. She knew the dangers of obesity and also, being an exercise nut, was determined to get me at a healthy weight. At age 7 I gave up apple juice. Soon after I stopped drinking regular soda and turned to diet. Although I ate well most of the time, I would binge on cookies and candy while out of the house and visiting friends. Soon, I was gaining 20-30 pounds a year without getting much taller. I transformed from a chubby toddler into a portly pre-teen.

From ages 14-16 I began to see a dietician and food behaviorist once a week. By writing down my daily food intake and being carefully monitored, I managed to halt my weight gain and even lost a couple of pounds. Still, at 5' 9" and 200 pounds, I was an obese 16 year old. After watching my eating for months and losing no more weight, I became fed up. "Why watch what I eat if I'm not even going to lose?" I wondered. Giving up any thought of getting thin, I declared "screw it" and started to eat even more poorly than ever. By mid-August 2003, I was 5 feet 9 inches tall and 213 pounds.

One Saturday afternoon in early August I went with my dad to buy a digital camera to take with me to Spain, where I would be spending my junior year of high school. Experimenting with the new camera, I took my picture and uploaded it into the camera. Seeing my immense, bloated face made me immediately realize that I had to change. I was horrified and embarrased by my appearance and desperately wanted to transform myself as soon as possible. Strengthened by a new resolve, I began Atkins the next day.

Like almost all new Atkinites, I spent my first few weeks clueless, avoiding obvious sugars and starches but by and large violating the maxims of the diet. After 2 weeks, I had lost 3 pounds. My watch was loose and I felt better. Fortunately, even though there was not really a physical difference yet, my friends and family patronized me, making me feel as though I had already reached my goal.

Arriving in Spain, I spent my first 2 months eating "normally" and managed to maintain my 13 pound loss. In October I decided that I still wanted to change. Moreover, since I was away, I was motivated by the thought of the surprise everyone would get when I returned.

Using Fitday PC I tracked my carb and calorie intake, staying near induction levels almost the entire time. Since Europe is devoid of low carb products, I didn't have any problems with sugar alcohols or the ilk. Occasionally I snacked on LC candy my mom sent me in care packages, but by and large my eating was au natural. When I sent home pictures, my family lauded me. When they saw me at Christmas, they were stunned. At a still-chunky 180 pounds, they were seeing a new me. While I was happy with my weight loss, I was far from satisfied.

With a renewed vigor sparked from my parents' kind words, I began to run and lift weights even more often and abstained from drinking during the week. I passed up offerings of cake and cookies, requited by the idea of a new me; I didn't need food to satisfy me.

When I showed up at my high school a couple days after I came back at 5 feet, 11 inches and a lean 143 pounds, I was met with stares of amazement and admiration. No one could believe how much weight I lost. In fact, many thought I had grown six inches taller, the change in appearance was so remarkable.

Going to Staples to get some desk supplies, the clerk asked me if I had a brother. "Not one that comes in here," I responded (my bro's at college). "Oh," he said. "There's just this kid that used to come in here that looked a little like you but he was more, uh, like this," he elaborated by puffing out his cheeks. "That was me!" I blurted out. Often I see people in the street I haven't seen in a year; they almost never recognize me. Frankly, it feels great. Now at maintenance, I still exercise and eat great LC cereals and bread and haven't gained an ounce since I got back in the country (I actually lost 2 more pounds). I am below the 50th percentile for my weight. Honestly, I was flattered when someone accused me of being anorexic since I had lost so much weight so fast.

To make a long story short, Atkins saved my life. I feel great, look fabulous, and have a whole new wardrobe (you need one when you lose nine inches off your waist and over 70 pounds while growing two inches taller); I am a new, and better, man.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
After

by BelmontLil on Wed, Sep-03-03, 10:17

Congrats, glad you see the light and hope you make you goal!

12 comments [read all comments]

Article tools