Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 02:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Just a little venting...

Nothing has happened recently to make me post this, but for some reason I'm angry right now about it...
The number one thing that pisses me off about being overweight, and the whole weight loss industry and everything having to do with weight and trying to lose weight is...naturally thin people telling overweight people how to lose weight.
I remember in 2002-2003, a few months after I started Atkins for the first time, and right when it was really gaining popularity, I was sitting in my best friends' living room with her entire family...a show came on about low carb diets and everybody had something negative to say about it. Even my best friend had her two cents, "Just become vegan." HA!!! My best friend at the time was sooo skinny and could eat whatever she wanted...BTW, I reached my highest weight ever when I was a vegetarian.
After gaining 40 pounds after a year and a half on 80 mg of Prozac, I had a doctor...a skinny female doctor...tell me that a medication could NEVER make you gain weight on it's own...that it increased appetite, and that's what caused weight gain. Are you kidding me? Has she never heard of moon face? I'd like her to take some prednisone or some lithium and see what happens. And of course, she told me to get 30 min of exercise a day and follow a 1500 calorie-a-day diet...if I did that I would gain weight, especially if I had stayed on Prozac. Needless to say, I never went to that doctor again.
Whenever I see a weight-loss expert on TV that doesn't provide a before picture of when they were fat, I have immediate disdain towards that person. Like what the hell are you going to tell me that I don't already know, or that's going to actually help with my metabolism that punishes me for every piece of bread I ever eat?
Oh yeah, and people that straight-up deny that people with slow metabolisms or a genetic disposition towards obesity even exist.
Basically, my point is that no group of people in the world knows more about losing weight than fat people and former fat people. My only exception would be fat people that are completely comfortable with their size and have NEVER had any desire to be thinner. So anyway, if I ever have another twig tell me my woe is unhealthy and I should get more fruits and complex carbs I will lose my flippin' mind.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 04:29

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

LOL. I can completely relate. I am hypothyroid, and gained 50 lbs in six months four years ago. I have never been a "thin" person, but previously managed to yo-yo up and down rather successfully. After my thyroid crashed all of that ended. Even my endocrinologist told me that until my thyroid levels returned to normal I could eat nothing but lettuce and run 5 miles a day and still gain. It's amazing how many thin people since then have suggested that "all you need to do is......"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 04:53

BF:
Default Katydid

Is your name supposed to be like the family of insects?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 05:03

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I totally agree with you!! When you see those skinny people on tv advertising a new diet program -- they're soooo skinny --- and you never, ever see any STRETCH marks on them --- WTH??? Anyone who has ever lost any amount of weight will have had stretch marks! It's all hokey...just another way to make $$$.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 05:56

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Lol. Actually....I'm not sure. My first name is Kendra. My middle name is Danielle. In middle school a friend's family shortened it to initials and began calling me K.D. Her mother often called me Kddid. I usually responded with "whatever it is....KD didn't. hehe.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 06:51

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJessica
Nothing has happened recently to make me post this, but for some reason I'm angry right now about it...
The number one thing that pisses me off about being overweight, and the whole weight loss industry and everything having to do with weight and trying to lose weight is...naturally thin people telling overweight people how to lose weight.
I remember in 2002-2003, a few months after I started Atkins for the first time, and right when it was really gaining popularity, I was sitting in my best friends' living room with her entire family...a show came on about low carb diets and everybody had something negative to say about it. Even my best friend had her two cents, "Just become vegan." HA!!! My best friend at the time was sooo skinny and could eat whatever she wanted...BTW, I reached my highest weight ever when I was a vegetarian.
After gaining 40 pounds after a year and a half on 80 mg of Prozac, I had a doctor...a skinny female doctor...tell me that a medication could NEVER make you gain weight on it's own...that it increased appetite, and that's what caused weight gain. Are you kidding me? Has she never heard of moon face? I'd like her to take some prednisone or some lithium and see what happens. And of course, she told me to get 30 min of exercise a day and follow a 1500 calorie-a-day diet...if I did that I would gain weight, especially if I had stayed on Prozac. Needless to say, I never went to that doctor again.
Whenever I see a weight-loss expert on TV that doesn't provide a before picture of when they were fat, I have immediate disdain towards that person. Like what the hell are you going to tell me that I don't already know, or that's going to actually help with my metabolism that punishes me for every piece of bread I ever eat?
Oh yeah, and people that straight-up deny that people with slow metabolisms or a genetic disposition towards obesity even exist.
Basically, my point is that no group of people in the world knows more about losing weight than fat people and former fat people. My only exception would be fat people that are completely comfortable with their size and have NEVER had any desire to be thinner. So anyway, if I ever have another twig tell me my woe is unhealthy and I should get more fruits and complex carbs I will lose my flippin' mind.

Yes, I totally agree with you...it pisses me off too! Especially, when doctors have the audacity to tell you that the meds are not causing weight gain. I gained 55 pounds in three months on Neurotin.

Even in 1972, Atkins discussed this in his book and specificially said that antidepressants and antisphychotic drugs create insulin resistance and cause weight gain...duh!!! Here we are in 2008 and some idiot doctors are still telling you that you need to eat less and exercise more...well I'm doing that and the weight is holding on for dear life...because of the stinking meds...... Sometimes it is not so simple as that...metabolic resistance is what it is called and it sucks!

I guess we just have to have patience and be persistant as heck...heavy sigh!!!

TJ
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 12:56

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

Hi ladies.

I just wanted to share an experience with y'alls. I've been hypothyroid for 11 years and took antidepressants for almost 20. I think a lot of doctors misdiagnose early signs of hypothyroid as depression in women and put them on Prozac or something. A very fortunate side effect of low-carbing, esp. Atkins induction, is that I got all grains out of my body - in less than a week I noticed that my stomach didn't hurt anymore.

For the longest time I didn't even know my stomach hurt; I had gradually gotten used to the pain and didn't notice until someone asked me if I had acid reflux.

Rewind to three months ago. I was taking thyroid replacement, Wellbutrin, and 150 mg of Zantac a day and I was MISERABLE. I was so miserable I didn't know I was miserable. I truly thought everyone was really as miserable as I was, but they did a better job of hiding it from themselves and everyone else. Denial. HAHAHAHA...

Fast forward to the second week of induction. I think I plugged something like "low carb" into Google and found this very forum. I did some poking around on this site for more info on wheat, thyroid, gluten, and the Atkins diet. Then I found a bunch of info on the connections between hypothyroidism, celiac, and vitamin D deficiency.

I started 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 in the middle of June and no longer take Wellbutrin. I didn't even get withdrawals this time. No more Zantac either. Since I've been gluten free and started the vitamin D, I'm about 95% better. I've started weight training so my weight has not dropped as much as some, but I've lost 9 INCHES OFF MY WAIST. From 46 to 37.

It's hard to argue with results like that. I hope you find a protocol that works for you. And the skinny b!tches can suck my left one.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 20:10

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi, I just stumbled onto this thread and felt like you guys are all talking about me. I do take antidepressants which I swear made my weight not come off after I had to take prednisone. Also my vit. d level is almost undetectable and I do have a hypothyroid. So I again am going to increase my vit d and stick with it. I would really like to get off my antidepressant meds also but I will tackle one problem at a time. BTW I am now on Cymbalta which seems to allow me to lose some weight.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 20:21

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzjnqtpy
Hi, I just stumbled onto this thread and felt like you guys are all talking about me. I do take antidepressants which I swear made my weight not come off after I had to take prednisone. Also my vit. d level is almost undetectable and I do have a hypothyroid. So I again am going to increase my vit d and stick with it. I would really like to get off my antidepressant meds also but I will tackle one problem at a time. BTW I am now on Cymbalta which seems to allow me to lose some weight.

Yes it is difficult when you are on meds... I upped my D3 from 4000 to 10000 yesterday to see if I start seeing any difference myself... Read an article on the net about Magnesium Glycinate and how someone cured their depression that way...very interesting article....http://george-eby-research.com/html...on-anxiety.html...

TJ
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 00:23

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have skinny friends who like to say stuff like "It's all about moderation" and "you just need to move more and eat less".

It's a wonder they are still alive.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I have skinny friends who like to say stuff like "It's all about moderation" and "you just need to move more and eat less".

It's a wonder they are still alive.

I you.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzjnqtpy

Glad you found this little corner; I know I am super happy to have found it! I'd welcome you, but I didn't start the thread (welcome!). Your approach is super sound IMHO. I've quickly progressed through some changes in the last few months or so, but I did restrain myself and do them one at a time. And by way of disclaimer, I do not recommend anyone going off their meds unsupervised; I have a good relationship with my doc and she has agreed to phone me once a month till year's end to make sure I don't crash.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 11:16

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
The number one thing that pisses me off about being overweight ... is...naturally thin people telling overweight people how to lose weight.

Same here. They seem to actually believe that it's somehow to their credit that they're thin. I want to ask them if they think they're thin due to some effort on their own part.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 19:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Same here. They seem to actually believe that it's somehow to their credit that they're thin. I want to ask them if they think they're thin due to some effort on their own part.

It's like being proud to have brown hair.

In this case I actually get less angry at the super skinny people that eat and eat and eat...because they acknowledge that metabolism differs from person to person.

Now, the thin person who eats a "normal" amount, and does their Jane Fonda video 3 days a week will tell you that if you do that you will be thin and they are thin because they have self control or some bs like that. It's all about moderation, control your portions, park far away, take the stairs, use smaller plates...do this and you will be thin!!! It's not your medication...a doctor would have the decency to acknowledge a known side effect of the drug you're taking. Just buck up and show some self restraint...

God I hate those people. They are seriously all the same. There is also one special breed, the really really skinny ones, that will try to pull the whole "accept your body for how it is" crap, and you know they're still judging you and thanking frickin' god that they're thin....let's put more shame on the fat people right when they're trying to make a positive change!!

The worst part of it all is there is no winning an argument with them. We've tried it all, we know what works, and in our worlds Atkins (or what have you) has worked, and we know it's healthy. They have tradition and most MD's and nutritionists and books behind them and it makes them feel safe. It's what they know. Bacon and mayonnaise are just way too scary. I've just refused to have the conversation if I notice a hint of disapproval...just like when I try to tell people that anti-depressants aren't a crutch but a necessary part of my life. And don't get me started on the whole "crutch" thing. What happens when you break your leg and you don't have crutches? Your life either is waaaaaaay harder until you heal, or you permanently f**k up your leg. Anyway, in both cases I literally say "I'm not going to discuss this with you" and change the subject.

I could go on and on about people like that...but what it really comes down to is numbers. Pounds, kilos, inches, centimeters, cholesteral, blood sugar, blood pressure....but then they're convinced that in 20 years your butt will fall off or something...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 20:22

Quote:
...but then they're convinced that in 20 years your butt will fall off or something...

quoted for LMAO factor.

OMG!! I think my ass just fell off!