Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-01, 22:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

How do you cook textured veg protein? I bought some, but they get soggy pretty quick?

Wa'il
The journey continues, in search of rice substitute
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-01, 23:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Question tvp

Well, I'm no expert on cooking tvp, but I believe it's supposed to get soggy. It soaks up any liquid you cook it in. I think it takes about 1:1 of boiling water (chicken broth, or whatever) to soften it, maybe a little less water. I've only used it as chicken stuffing (soaked in water with added sauteed onion, celery, and spices). I thought it tasted more like rice than bread. I haven't cooked with it since, but I think it'd be worth experimenting with as a rice substitute.

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 07:46

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

back in my pseudo-vegetarian days i used the stuff called so soy. it's sold like tvp as well as cubes. my cousin, who is a real vegetarian, gave me a box. i soaked it in beef broth and then stir-fried it up. my son and my husband had seconds. my son is a real meat eater. it really fooled them. i told them later though.
p.s. my son thought he'd died and gone to heaven when dh and i first started lcing. meat at every meal!!!LOL!!
wa'il, check out some of the ideas in the thread KAREN HELP on this board. the ladies there gave me some good ideas. i'm craving risotto.

Last edited by debbiedobson : Fri, Mar-16-01 at 07:48.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 09:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Wa'il, and all

TVP needs to be cooked after reconstituting, as I recall from my own macrobiotic-ultra-vegan days. Whether you have the cube shaped or the crumbles, you soak it in broth (or water, if you've bought a type that's pre-seasoned), then you squeeze out the excess liquid, heat up some butter or oil, and saute it like chopped or ground meat. Add garlic, onions, garlic, chopped green pepper, garlic and more garlic. It will firm up quite a bit. As debbie states, it's more of a meat substitute ...

I know what you mean about wanting something like rice. I really miss that too .. .. Something I haven't had in a few years is soy grits. These cook up like rice and have a bland taste and texture reminscent of couscous. They aren't ultra-low in carbs, but after fiber, I think around 5 or 6 grams for 1/2 cup. Because of the high protein content though, they're very filling, so a little goes a LO-O-OOONG way.

I have to make the weekly foray into the depths of crazy traffic and no parking a.k.a. downtown later. I will get some of these and cook them up.......... I'll post my success (or lack thereof .. ).

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 10:05

BF:
Default soy grits

Hi, Doreen. I remember soy flakes. I think they were basically squashed soy beans. I used to throw a handful into soup. They cooked up quickly, soaked up the taste of the soup, and had a pleasant texture. They could probably be used in place of pasta in minestrone, come to think of it. They might make a good pasta substitute in general, though they'd be quite heavy. Mac and cheese? Hmmmm. More ideas!

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 15:06

BF:

rachel, karen rysavy at www.trulylowcarb.com has a recipe from her cookbook in the free recipe section. it's called mock-aroni and cheese. i haven't tried it because mac and cheese isn't something that i crave, but it's getting a great response from those who have tried it. it's become a staple to lots of them. maybe you should check it out. there's a link to her site in the links section.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 20:47

BF:
Thumbs down bleccchhh

Checked out the mockaroni, and it has TOFU in it. I hate tofu!

Having said that, I know it's just a personal preference (or lack thereof), and some people love the stuff - so thanks anyway, Debbie!

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-01, 01:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tofu, tofu,
It's divine.
You get a dozen for a dime.
It's maaagic...

(Plucked from Bugs Bunny)

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-01, 10:06

BF:
Talking toe-food

I remember once I was going to write a treatise on 'hunting the wild tofu.' It was going to have pictures, for example 'primitive spear-carriers' carrying giant tofus hanging from poles back to their village. And 'naturalist' pictures, such as 'mother tofu nursing her young' (I'll leave you to imagine that one), 'young tofus at play,' etc. And diagrams of how to butcher tofu, and so forth. I still might do it, I think it's a marvy idea.

Here's your next cookbook idea, Karen!

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-01, 18:07
Forum Founder

Default Soy grits

Thanks for mentioning soy grits. I never heard of them before. I went to the grainery and bought some, and I just cooked some to try out and see, 'cause I hated TVP in comparison to rice.

Well, I boiled 1 cup of water, added my favorite spices, and made it stronger to avoid any soy taste, some butter and sea slat. I added 2/3 cup of grits and they IMMIDIATELY soaked all the water. So I added some more water, 1/2 cup and after 5 minutes turned off the heat and let it covered.

I just took a spoonfull while it cools down right now and WOW. I love it. It's just like couscous.

Wa'il

#11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-01, 18:46
Forum Founder

BF:
Wink see, told ya

I cooked up a large batch just plain, then divided it into portions and froze them. Add spices and seasonings, voila... .. I had some (plain) reheated and topped with toasted almonds, berries, cinnamon, Splenda and cream for breakfast. It was delicious. No soy-ey taste.

Carb counts - 1/3 cup dry grits is 14 total carbs, minus 8 gms fiber, 24 gms protein. It more than doubles when cooked, so a serving is large. Soy grits are very filling.

I used water and grits in equal amounts, but then I used a rice steamer, so more moisture added that way I guess.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-01, 10:07

BF:

doreen, where do you buy soy grits? does bulk barn carry them? i'm dying to try them. i never liked hominy grits, yuuuckkk!!!! or cream of wheat for that matter. i do like soy products though and i love couscous.
rachel, i was laughing my head off at the thought of the wild tofu. i think you should write that treatise. what a laugh!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-01, 11:53
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile soy grits

hi debbie,

I imagine any well-stocked bulk and/or natural foods store would carry them, including Bulk Barn. Try phoning first, save yourself a trip. I paid $3.28 per kg. at a natural foods grocery.

They are pale gold in colour, and look very much like dry couscous. When cooked, they are very mild tasting, not beany, and do not get mushy. They keep a sort of "al dente" texture. I'm trying to be careful, I could see this becoming just a substitute addiction!!

Oh yes, like soy flour, etc.... the dry grits should be stored air-tight in the fridge for freshness.

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-01, 12:30
Forum Founder

Debbie,

Try different ways of cooking them with small quantities to see which texture you like. After experimenting a bit, I prefer them prepared this way: I boil the water, add seasoning, olive oil and broth, turn off the heat, add soy grits, cover and let it sit for 15 minutes.

They're loaded with fiber, I can feel it . While I can taste the soy, I have some spices in mind that'll take care of that. I read somewhere that the water needed depends on the size of the flakes. The ones I got work great in 1 cup water to 2/3 cup soy grits.

And last but not least, after a nice soy grits curry chicken couscous dinner, I got a whoosh of 5 lbs, maybe not all at once since I haven't weighed for a couple of days

Wa'il

#15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-01, 13:57

BF:
Smile

thanks doreen and wa'il. i can't wait to try them! i love trying new foods! fibre is good! lol!!