Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 23:42

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Default I've done a 180!

I'd been mosying along, eating low carb for quite a while, when all of a sudden, about a week ago, my body and/or my mind just rebelled. The thought of eating flesh just disgusted me. I just couldn't face the idea of another meal comprised of cooked animal and salad. And I've been eating vegetarian (not LC) since then.

I deliberately went to the store for whole grain bread. I made a chickpea salad. I've been eating peanut butter sandwiches (always also spread with either butter or mayo, so it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth, and accompanied by LC sweet pickles). I even bought basmati rice, which normally doesn't appeal to me, but it seemed like the appropriate accompaniment for cauliflower curry, raita with cucumber, and (LC) cranberry chutney. I've had hot chocolate. I've made tomato bisque. I made a sort of Chinese soup with cabbage, tofu, scallion, cilantro, ginger, red peppers, and a little rice. This morning, I had a gala apple for breakfast.

Several days later, another trip to the store yielded Morningside Farms grillers, Trader Joe's chicken-less Buffalo Wings, Tofurky slices, steel cut oatmeal, organic carrots, romaine, microgreens, guacamole, black bean taquitos, and white beans in sofrito.

I don't know how long this is going to last. This has happened to me before, although I never seem to be able to eat a vegetarian diet for very long. I've read a number of books that advocate it, and I've also read Atkins, Eades, Taubes, and more, and came to the conclusion that humans were at the top of the food chain, and that eating flesh and fat is healthy. But I also am revolted by the practices used in factory farming of animals. What we feed them. How we treat them. So I always buy free range, vegetarian-fed flesh, eggs and dairy products, organic if possible. Or do without.

Lately, I've been doing without. I just don't want it. I threw out some taco meat, and the steaks and chicken wings that had languished in my fridge for 10 days. Snack packages of fried pork rinds do not appeal.

Haven't been very hungry anyway, been eating 1 or 2 meals a day.

I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't lost any, either.

Has anyone been successfully doing LC and then suddenly felt they just couldn't even look at another piece of meat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: _Protein Power
Stats: 295/280/225 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I, too, did a 180. It started Jan1 this year. After reading "Food That Fight Cancer" I realized that not only are animal products devoid of anti-cancer molecules but some, such as red meat, may promote cancer. I'm down abut 20 lbs since then and don't feel hungry, deprived or lethargic as I often did doing Atkins style low carb. I also noticed, unexpectedly, that my skin is better. I usually get eczema on my face in the winter but it's been nonexistent since mid January. And then there is the Karma issue. If you can live without killing something, or having it killed for you, then maybe you should.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 21:17

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I had the same kind of experience as you. Next week is my one year anniversary as an almost vegan. Meat revolts me now, and the thought of those poor animals - oh! I feel incredibly better. I am eating more carbs than I did on Atkins, but eating so much healthier, and I still watch my carbs, being diabetic. I've lost about 25 over the year, not counting carbs, calories, or trying to exercise. Even better, I've finally got chicken legs. All my life I've had thunder thighs, and a very fat back. I can actually feel my butt bones now when I sit down. I can feel the muscles on the tops of my legs. My thighs don't rub together anymore! My face is not chubby anymore. And I'm still 236 pounds....it's just that I'm not eating animal fat or animal products anymore. I think my fat cells shrunk - no joke.

And I'm not deprived one iota! I don't use artificial sweeteners anymore - I use stevia and agave as sweeteners. Ahh, life is good now.

My hubby and daughter are even coming around. They're still omnivores, but eat my veggie meals that I cook . I have no problem finding restaurant meals. Yes. Life is good.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 19:23

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Oh my gosh ME TOO!!! I had started LC on Jan 18th and recently I just couldn't take it anymore. It got to the point where I'd rather not eat if I had to have meat. I ended up going on a sugar binge with jelly beans last weekend as well. These last few months I have been researching and reading every LC book there is and then I picked up the book "Skinny Bitch" on Tuesday... after reading the chapter on meat... ugh yuck!!! I had always close my ears to those truths. Needless to say I think it will be awhile before I can eat any meat or dairy.

My family is secretly laughing at me I am sure. They all think I am nuts for all the different theories I have followed. They just seem to say "oh god" "what book now?" and "whats next?" kind of statements. Of course secretly they like the fact I use myself as the guinnea pig that way they can continue to eat unhealthy until I figure it out.

I know I could be way obese though which is why I have been searching to find the answer for me for the past 10 years. I'd hate to think what size I'd have become if I had ignored it. And at least I have never given up. Yes I have had setbacks but I have never given into my weight and let it take over. For this I can be proud.

I was so happy to find there are people on this my favorite website that are doing a vegetarian version!!! Too cool to find I am not alone.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 07:28

BF:

Yes - for me it was a "perfect storm" of a coworker lending me Skinny Bitch and then another intellectual type coworker winning Omnivore's Dilemma and lending it to me. That was it for me. Whoa.

My family too, has groaned and makes fun of me sometimes, but they also see the results...DH is happy cuz now I can wear cute heels instead of ugly wide shoes . And while they are still omnivores, much less so.

There are some wonderful blogs with wonderful recipes - my favorites are "fat free vegan", "vegan lunch box", "post punk kitchen" etc. And of course, all the wonderful lowcarb recipes here that are veggie.

Also, there are another two books that explain why going vegan is good for you...and give you recipes which are great....The 30 Day Diabetes Miracle Diet (even if you don't have diabetes) and Dr. Neal Barnard's book (can't remember the name at the moment, but google him). The 30 Day people (Lifestyle Centers of America) also recently released a cookbook. Love these two books, they really explain things.

Yay for all of us!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 10:23

BF:

Great thanks. I have few for fun books I want to read frist but I will definetly keep a look out at my used bookstore. I have spent too much money on books lately so I think I need to just breath a bit and read some of the ones I have for fun first. lol

As far as the websites go I have already checked out 2 of the 3 you mentioned. For now though I am committed to eating what we have here at the house first. Can't afford to go trying new recipes since that would probably require a shopping trip. I have many veggies and my good pasta (ezekiel is all I eat) so for right now I am going to keep it simple. We leave for vacation next Sat. and I have vowed not to set foot in the grocery store until we get there... lol... Yep some shop for clothes I like to shop for food... lol If they don't like what I put on the table this week they can fend for themselves... After I stocked up on my much missed soy milk and rice milk I realized I have plenty to get us through.

I have also dropped back down to 182 after going back up to almost 190 (while still eating meat and doing what I thought was going to help me lose) Hopefully by Monday I'll be back to 179. I know this is probably TMI but I sure feel better now that I am REALLY REALLY regular again!!! lol

Have a great Friday... man am I sooo glad it's here!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 06:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 350/280/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 35%

Sort of have had the same thing happen to me. About a month ago, I was happily eating a pretty tasty traditional low carb meal of veggies and sausages, and I couldn't finish my sausage. I was then ill. Now the smell of meat makes my stomach turn.

I've tried doing "healthy" vegetarian since then (whole grains, whole foods), but some of my health issues have come back. Plus I am a weak, weak woman, and after making a big pan of bread pudding last night, I've realised that I am not able to eat sugar, small portions of brown rice, or a few slices of bread without going overboard.

I am working out a low carb plan now. I don't like to eat soy products unless they are fermented, and then only in moderation. Here in the UK there's Quorn, which is helpful. I am also investigating things like quinoa, and considering if I could manage eating fish (pescatarianism and low carb seems a bit more doable than soy-free, low grain low carb).

If I can pull it off, I might start a little collection of vegetarian, pescatarian, and some vegan low carb dishes.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 10:33

BF:

I admit I too am noticing I don't feel quite as focused or energized as I am on high fat and lots of protein (when I was eating tons and tons of meat...lol) I was kinda hoping it is because my TOM is due this week but who knows. I am really frustrated. I don't eat anything with sugar but I am noticing my morning oatmeal doesn't stay with me like my morning eggs used to. It seems like when I eat oatmeal or flax cereal for breakfast I am hungry all day. I also tried doing just fruit for breakfast but I have the same issues. Don't quite know what the answers are for me right now. I am leaving for vactaion on Saturday and I am a bit worried about what I am going to eat all week. I plan to take some things with me since we are staying in a condo we will be eating in more than out but the temptations to fall off the wagon will be smacking me in the face each day. lol
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 11:16

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2
then another intellectual type coworker winning Omnivore's Dilemma and lending it to me. That was it for me. Whoa.

I loved that book! It was amazing to see the kind of industrial crap that passes for "organic" nowadays.

Two other books that really opened my eyes:

"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. Like ImOnMyWay, her family decided that if the only meat they could get was factory farmed, they would be vegetarian. This book covers a year of living on local food.

"The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved" by Sandor Katz. Sandor Katz is the author of "Wild Fermentation" and he's one of my personal heroes. He's got an open mind and a big heart. This book covers just about every aspect of food in the modern industrial world, but it's an easy, fun read. And surprisingly upbeat considering the subject matter.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 14:38

BF:

Thanks Capmikee I wrote those down to add to my summer reading list which is getting huge!!! lol
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 07:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbar69
I admit I too am noticing I don't feel quite as focused or energized as I am on high fat and lots of protein (when I was eating tons and tons of meat...lol) I was kinda hoping it is because my TOM is due this week but who knows. I am really frustrated. I don't eat anything with sugar but I am noticing my morning oatmeal doesn't stay with me like my morning eggs used to. It seems like when I eat oatmeal or flax cereal for breakfast I am hungry all day. I also tried doing just fruit for breakfast but I have the same issues. Don't quite know what the answers are for me right now. I am leaving for vactaion on Saturday and I am a bit worried about what I am going to eat all week. I plan to take some things with me since we are staying in a condo we will be eating in more than out but the temptations to fall off the wagon will be smacking me in the face each day. lol

This is a great thread and thanks to all who are engaging in it! Now I have more books to read which makes me a happy camper, and it's nice to know that there are others out there with the same mindset

kimbar69, are you eating enough protein, or enough, period? Just like low carbing, it took me a couple of weeks to get the refined sugar cr~p out of my system and start to feel better.

The 30 Day Diabetes Miracle Diet (I hate that name, it sounds like it's a bad tv ad! So I'll just say LCA) says to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper...I know, different than Skinny Bitch which says to just eat a piece of fruit for breaky. You gotta do what works for you (if you're starving, it will just make you want to eat more...). I don't have my LCA book here at home, it's at work right now, but they advise eating about 45 carbs/meal, with dinner just being soup and salad and a piece of fruit. But for breaky, not only eating the oatmeal with flax, but a cup of blueberries, a serving of beans, and non-dairy milk. So maybe you are not eating enough?

I don't like heavy breakfast myself, so I try to make a smoothie in the morning with frozen berries, 1/2 banana, 1 apple, 1.5 cups spinach, flax, cooked quinoa, and I usually throw in some tofu for protein (I hear you about being unfocused without it). And just a smidgen of apple juice, a cup of water, and some ice.

I always roast some good veggies (oven at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, toss in olive oil and balsamic, top with a little kosher salt - asparagus, broccoli, eggplant, turnip, and a little bit of yams and beets) on Sunday evening and have a big container to keep them in so I have something to eat if I'm hungry..that helps.

I have had no problem eating vegan/almost vegetarian when going out...the clue is to have good snacks available for inbetween times! Nuts, fruit, even processed stuff like bars from the health food store is better than getting something really bad. I've been able to eat veg at every restaurant I've been to - sometimes you just gotta ask for subs...for example, we went to Mimi's Cafe and they had a great-sounding salad with chicken on it...I asked them to sub out the chicken on it for a cut up garden burger...it was delicious. I eat dairy sometimes...so even at In and Out Burger I get a grilled cheese, tastes just like what In and Out always did to me, just without the revolting meat...of course, still high fat so that is just a treat once in a blue moon...

Ok gotta go to work...I'll bring the book home in case you have questions...I can post an average meal day too.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 12:52

BF:

I am pretty sure I was feeling off due to TOM's arrival today so in a day or so I will be back to feeling fine. I am doing really well with no problems in the eating dept. ANother thing I noticed and it amazed me is that I haven't had full blown hot flashes lately like I usually do when TOM is coming.

Thanks so much for the input. I have a lot of reading to do. I went to the store today and felt like a girl in the candy store. Of course I didn't buy much because we are leaving for FL on Sat. but I am excited about all the choices I have!!!

More later... time to pick up DD and go to a tennis lesson.
Onward and Downward.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 08:09

BF:

Kimbar69, glad you are doing well. And for me....on Atkins, for me, I was getting a lot of acid reflux. I get absolutely none eating veggie. No more sour stomach, either. This is truly a lifestyle I will live with for the rest of my life...it is not a diet.

Have a GREAT vacation in Florida -- you going to the mouse house, or beach? Or?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 20:21

BF:

We are beachin it thank god! Disney is NOT my idea of a vacation. lol... been there and done that but it was carzy. I mean it was fun and who doesn't like Mickey right but the kids were young and it was just way too hectic to be called a vacation. A vacation to me is laying on the beach or out at a pool...lol Seriously though I have been going to the same place for Spring Break since I was 3. I am almost 40...lol We love it there. My parents own a condo and we rent one so alot of my family comes and it's like home away from home for us. The difference this year is only 1 of my 3 kids will be there. My son (almost 22) couldn't get off work this year and my daughter (almost 19) is in boot camp. So needless to say it will be different. We have new babies in the family this year though so it should be fun. Thank god they aren't mine is all I gotta say about that!!! So glad to be ending the raising stage so I can start enjoying my young adults. My youngest is 14 and it's hard enough keeping an eye on her.

Sorry kinda long winded tonight I guess.

As far as the new WOL. I am very happy so far. It's been a little tough today because I am very low on groceries but I made it. I almost have all the sugar stuff out. I have some organic cereal I just love but it has a little bit of sugar in it so I won't buy it anymore. Good thing I like whole grains and oatmeal etc. I absolutely love Agave Nectar as well and it is nice to be able to add a bit of sweet to some things instead of feeling deprived. I should be able to do okay in FL. My only issue is I will want to have a few drinks. I am going to. If I tell myself I can't I will go overboard and I don't want that. I have bought some sulfite free organic wine (2bottles) and I plan to make some kickin Margaritas with fresh everything (lime and fruits) and a splash of agave. I will not succomb to artificial sweeteners or the nasty chemical mixes this year so it is a big step in the right direction for me. My mouth is watering already. lol

As far as acid reflux I hear ya!! I used to have it bad as well but I use Natures Sunshine peppermint oil and I have pretty well cured that beast.

Don't know if I will get a chance to check in tomorrow or not but if I don't have a great week and thanks for the support!!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I've been doing a little reading on agave nectar. I discovered that it is 90% fructose - yes, that means it has a lower glycemic index, but it turns out that doesn't prevent insulin resistance. Fructose tends to get converted directly to triglycerides. If you have Fructose Malabsorption, it also feeds the candida in your gut. I've come to the conclusion that white sugar, and even HFCS (which is only 55% fructose) is better. Agave nectar is no less processed than HFCS. Honey has a slight excess of fructose, but at least you can get it raw, including some probiotic benefits. Maple syrup has slightly more glucose than fructose, as long as you don't get the darker grades.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90325091811.htm
Quote:
Fructose Metabolism By The Brain Increases Food Intake And Obesity, Review Suggests
ScienceDaily (Mar. 26, 2009) — M. Daniel Lane and colleagues at Johns Hopkins have built on the suggested link between the consumption of fructose and increased food intake, which may contribute to a high incidence of obesity, and Type 2 diabetes.