Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 19:42

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Steak lovers, what's your secrets?

Okay, beef eaters how do you like your steak? How do you cook them? Secrets, tips, techniques?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 19:50
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Great idea! Cos I don't like steak when it's tough and it always is when I cook it. Looking forward to hearing some great tips

e
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 20:09
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

The primary method I use for steaks is this -

First, it has to be a good steak, or no amount of proper cooking is going to make it anything but leathery lol. Good marbling (thin white streaks, not the thick bands of fat) and I prefer them thick.

I marinate them for a few hours, sometimes overnight because I forget they're in the fridge... heh, in olive oil with red pepper flakes, green onion, a clove or two of garlic - crushed, black pepper and other seasonings if I'm in the mood.

Then, either I put a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet, get it nice and hot and sear the outside of the steak, both sides and the edges too and the pop the whole pan into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or so to complete the cooking.

Or -

I get the hot skillet again with some olive oil, not quite as high heat and toss in the steak, giving it about 4-6 minutes per side without flipping it over more than once. The more you turn the steak over, the tougher it gets.

I touch the steak to determine done-ness - if it feels very soft, it's still raw. A little firm is medium rare, very firm is well done (overdone, imo lol). Finally managed to show my DH how to poke it for done-ness instead of cutting it in half in the pan! Gah! lol

Meat thermometers would work too, I suppose

but thats all. I don't like to add a lot to it, just a few simple spices to increase the flavour as I love the taste of the steak all by itself!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 22:15

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default butter, salt and cheese

On the grill is best, but I don't own one. I love fat, so usually buy a ribeye (and tonight, a porterhouse). I fry them on the stove in real butter, seasoned on both sides with sea salt. Yum. Tonight I also threw in some whole mushrooms cooked in butter & creamy horseradish sauce. Once taking the steak off the stove, I sprinkled it with gorgonzola cheese (luxurious), and then tossed the mushrooms on top. Sometimes I fry the steak in parmesan cheese instead (it becomes crispy around the steak, adds a great flavor).

I usually eat the steak with fresh asparagus tips fried in butter, or a spinach salad with cucumbers and a low-carb ranch or ceasar dressing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 23:08
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Broiled or grilled, medium rare, but more toward the rare side.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 23:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My favorite restaurant steak is at Polly's bakery, of all things. I like the way they season their steak. I like mine medium.

Now my favorite steak for home is Ralph's flat iron steak. It is wrapped in black and transparent plastic. This steak needs very little tenderizing. I usually season it with a little steak salt and cracked peppercorns. Yuuummmmy. I love it with grilled vegetables.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
Okay, beef eaters how do you like your steak? How do you cook them? Secrets, tips, techniques?

I like a thick steak. Anything less than 1 inch (preferably 1-1/2) is not worth your time.

I use Cavender's Greek seasoning on it. I have been searching my entire adult life for that "restaurant taste," through marinade and seasonings, and my Daddy (38 year salesman in the food industry) a few months ago told me to try the Cavenders. That was *IT*. The taste I had been looking for. I'll never use anything else again.

I like my on the rare side of medium rare. I get my grill screaming hot and cook my steak about 2 minutes on each side on the hottest part of the grill (every grill has hot and cold spots), 30 seconds more if thicker than 1 inch. Don't walk away, stand right there and time it.

Let them rest a few minutes before eating. Not long enough to get cold (10 min is TOO DAMN LONG--I hate tepid meat), but long enough to start to settle the juices into the meat. 5 minutes MAX.

People actually rave about my steaks and perfectly I cook them. And that's how I do it.

I like all kinds of steaks: london broil, top sirloin, NY strip, ribeye, flat-iron, chuck steak. They are all good when properly cooked.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 11:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 319/298/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I like ribeye. Pat it dry with paper towels. Season both sides. I just use sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat skillet (use cast iron if you have it). Heat it on medium high heat. Dont use oil or butter or sprays. when it is really hot, put in the steak. Cooking time depends on how you like it done and thickness of steak. I usually go about 4 min and flit over and cook another 3-4 min. The key? Do not poke, stab or touch steak. Flip it over only once using tongs. When done, let steak sit 2-3 min before cutting.

I still prefer steaks in a restaurant but the above the the best way I;ve found to cook it at home.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 13:52

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i use top sirloin from costco... it's nice and thick, has good marbling, and is beautifully tender. my fiance loves it.

they get rubbed with olive oil, then i sprinkle on kosher salt, black pepper, and maybe some garlic powder or a pre-bought spice mix.

5-6 minutes on the foreman grill, depending on thickness. let them rest for 5-10 minutes, and i top mine with a pat or two of butter.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 14:58

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I love this thread (whoever started it rules, rules, I say!)

Seriously, some great answers, folks.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 15:01

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I use Montreal steak spice... MMmmmmmm
and costco steaks.

grilled to medium, sauteed mushrooms and any legal veggie

In fact, due to this thread, we're having them tonight
(the carbeaters are having baked potatoes and corn on the side, I'm making creamy coleslaw)
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 15:05
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I like mine medium rare, and pretty much do the same cooking methods as listed above. I use the grill a lot, though. About 4 minutes on one side and 3 on the other.
I like a seasoning from the McCormick's Grill Mates line: Hickory Smoked salt. And garlic pepper. Those are the two I usually use.

Quote:
I don't like steak when it's tough and it always is when I cook it.

I used to have that problem, until I figured out that just about all grocery store steaks are inferior quality and will be tough. I agree with Kvon, get your beef from Costco or Sams.
Also if you have them, Aldi's beef is very good. All 3 of those places are also cheaper than regular grocery stores, for much higher quality.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 21:13

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I have only cooked steak under a broiler. I just use salt and pepper and cook it to rare - medium rare. I like it red, but not purple inside.

I remember the first time my ex said he was cooking dinner, steak, and pulled out a frying pan! I'd never even heard of cooking steak that way.

I have TMJ (jaw pain) and have a problem eating any meat that is tough. I almost always bought only tenderloin, but recently have been trying other cuts. So far most a re too tough for me. Then I have to cut the pieces very thin. I love a nice chunk of meat, not just little slices....takes away some of the enjoyment.

One thing I've never cooked is London broil. I was told it was very tough if not cooked right, and I've been afraid to try.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 23:15

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I look for the fattiest cut I can find...usually a ribeye. I melt some butter in a medium hot pan. I season my steak with a little salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic powder. Then I just sear each side for about 20-30 seconds.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 08:36

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

The key to properly cooking a great steak is to take it out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking. If you don't do this, the interior of the steak will still be icy cold when the exterior is ready to go. If you then wait for the interior to warm slightly (and I like mine rare to medium rare), the outside of the steak will be hopelessly overcooked.

Nothing compares to the flavor of real wood smoke; I like natural charcoal better than briquettes.