Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 11:35

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks Verbena,

I have to wonder if the boiling kills the probiotic health benefits of the fermentation. I've seen beliefs and theories that cooking kimchi and overheating miso kills the good stuff.

I have these special fermenting crocks that I may use to make some fermented sauce

https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Korean...ASIN=B00M40ANMO

I've made kimchi, fermented pickles and sauerkraut...all edible but never as good as store-bought for some reason. It's another opportunity to work these things in to service again.

I'll take all that in to consideration. I'm also not opposed to green sriracha...I know its a mind twister, but I make a green jalapeno sauce...of course most jalapenos are green, but I actually let mine ripen on the vine quite often and they will turn shades of red and purple/black, which would make a jalapeno sauce look weird! But still tasty.

This now has me thinking a sriracha ketchup combo idea...no sugar of course. I have some erythritol coming, that might help with the sweetening
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 08:27

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
...That big jug still has the same tsp serving size on it as the smaller jars . I found it on amazon. 136oz for $31.26. How does that compare to the price you are paying Thud?...

Mr. Tran and his family make the sauce so the average Joe can afford his great flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXOAx58LBDo

I've been paying about half of what you quoted above on Amazon - large "ethnic" market - flavors from around the world.

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/sunfoods/ is a little walk thru...
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 10:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Thanks Verbena,

I have to wonder if the boiling kills the probiotic health benefits of the fermentation. I've seen beliefs and theories that cooking kimchi and overheating miso kills the good stuff.

I have these special fermenting crocks that I may use to make some fermented sauce

https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Korean...ASIN=B00M40ANMO

I've made kimchi, fermented pickles and sauerkraut...all edible but never as good as store-bought for some reason. It's another opportunity to work these things in to service again.

I'll take all that in to consideration. I'm also not opposed to green sriracha...I know its a mind twister, but I make a green jalapeno sauce...of course most jalapenos are green, but I actually let mine ripen on the vine quite often and they will turn shades of red and purple/black, which would make a jalapeno sauce look weird! But still tasty.

This now has me thinking a sriracha ketchup combo idea...no sugar of course. I have some erythritol coming, that might help with the sweetening

Yes, my understanding is that high heat will kill the probiotics. Which is why miso soup shouldn't have the miso added till after it comes off the heat. And why I try to eat some of my sauerkraut everyday in its raw state. The fermenting of the sriracha is for flavor, I believe, but bcause I don't use it as quickly as some do I follow the recommendation to heat it so it doesn't separate.
I made a green jalapeņo sauce once (copycat green Tabasco); tasted good, but it did separate as I hadn't cooked it.
Neat little fermenting vessel. I have an expensive Sauerkraut crock from Germany, but mostly it is just decorative, as it is really too big for my needs. A half gallon canning jar also works well.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 16:10

BF:

Thud,

What about the picture posting question? Do you pay membership here? My pics are kept as attachments, your pic was embedded in the tread...thats what I'm looking for.

I LOVE Asian/ethnic markets. I dont think I've seen that big canister at any of the ones around here.

Verbina,

Agreed on the probiotics. You just reminded me of the sauerkraut and miso I have on hand...I've been forgetting about them!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 16:31

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
You can upload your pictures to our gallery .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/ .. then use "BB Image Code:" link to have the image(s) show up in your post. Keep in mind there's a size limit there too, although it's bigger than for attachments.

If you want to post a lot of images for free, your best bet would be to use a third-party image hosting site .. for example .. https://imgbb.com. There are others; just do a web search for "free image hosting". You upload your pics to those sites, and they provide you with a BB code to use in your forum post(s). Of course, "free" means there's a lot of ads .

hth

Doreen

Ken, Did you see this response about posting your pics?

PS You don't have to join to post but if you want more space you might consider.
I like to support the site because it's a wealth of information and I
really appreciate it.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 18:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Thud,

What about the picture posting question? Do you pay membership here? My pics are kept as attachments, your pic was embedded in the tread...thats what I'm looking for.

I have a little server at work that I upload pictures too and link to them with the IMG tag.

Depending on what "cloud" ecosphere you are leaning toward, probably best to use the tool offered there for sharing or pic one of the "services" that do exclusive image hosting. I don't know any of those off hand but google's repacement for picaso is here:

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

again, basically what I have is a little webserver that I can post images too and make little HTML galleries. I just made this one a few mins ago of some story I was part of on the local news... (self promotion!)

http://downhaul.com/kites/180129jeffEkare11/
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 11:48

BF:

Thanks Meme, no I didn't catch that post. Don't know how I missed it. I've been really busy with work, etc. and sometimes posting and leaving quickly here, that one fell through the cracks. I'll have to come back and look at that and thank for it.

Thud, thanks to you too. SnowKiting huh? I guess when life gives you snow...snowmonaide is what many people make from it! And I'm not referring to the yellow snow...
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-18, 11:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
You can upload your pictures to our gallery .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/ .. then use "BB Image Code:" link to have the image(s) show up in your post. Keep in mind there's a size limit there too, although it's bigger than for attachments.

If you want to post a lot of images for free, your best bet would be to use a third-party image hosting site .. for example .. https://imgbb.com. There are others; just do a web search for "free image hosting". You upload your pics to those sites, and they provide you with a BB code to use in your forum post(s). Of course, "free" means there's a lot of ads .

hth

Doreen

Thanks Doreen. I think I'll just not post pictures. This being an old forum and may not have a lot of hosting space, its just not user friendly for posting pics. I'm used to forums where you do have to resize your pics, but you dont have to use code to attach them in a nice, blog like layout as you show a recipe in action for instance.

This site seems to be more setup for before, after and profile pics, which I will never do. I dont purposely put images of me on the web, left Facebook and deleted my account 5 years ago (yes I know its never deleted, but anyone not an investigative level tech cant find what was deleted, so effectively its all gone) and prefer people not post pictures of me. I just dont think its a good practice.

I just wont be as helpful as I could be here with pictures of food, recipes, etc.. I'll have to find another forum if its that important to me, but like with smoking food, I started out posting a lot of step by step stuff, then got good at smoking to where its second nature now, and dont even think of taking pics anymore...its just normal life now. I let the experts advise and only give my .02 when I think I can add something helpful...I try to do the same here.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-18, 14:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Use tinypic.com, it's easy!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 06:54

BF:

Thanks Meme!

You are at least the third person to try to help me with this. I just didn't want to go through the effort if I couldn't just upload here.

But I did use Tinypic to post some pics I took before I realized posting pics here would required third party hosting

They are in this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...991#post9254991

Thanks!