Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 12:07

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I just wanted to mention I have added cheese and full fat yogurt. Wish me luck
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 12:58

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I do wish you luck, being constantly hungry is not the most pleasant of feelings.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 15:31

BF:

I made some soup it seems to have helped. This is new and it will be a lot of trial and error
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 05:30

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 203.3/181.7/180 Female 5'7"
BF:GF :)
Progress: 93%

I'm glad this thread is still going! I fell of the wagon for a bit but I am back and trying again. I use a ton of oil (olive or coconut) when cooking to get my fat. I also eat some faux meat products because they contain protein and tend to be really low on carbs. Not sure if you can eat those though? But if I'm not feeling full after a meal I will just have a few slices of cheese to fill me up.

I found this portabello mushroom pizza recipe yesterday that is delicious and low carb! One "pizza" came out to about 6 carbs and was quite filling.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 09:30

BF:

I think I wasn't eating enough fat. I do eat cheese and decided to try full fat yogurt. Yesterday my soup was a help. I'm thinking that might permanently solve my problem.

Last edited by jmh6251 : Fri, Mar-10-17 at 09:31. Reason: Spelling
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 13:03

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I stay clear from dairy lately but if you're looking for a full fat unflavored yogurt, Walmart in my area carries one. I wonder why the full fat versions are so hard to find around here?!?

I'm glad you are finding some relief and solutions!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 09:14

BF:

I'm not sure about walmarts, but Fred Meyers and safeway has it. I also found a recipe for seitan, I love youtube.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-17, 09:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

That chick- I would beware of the fake meats. I think eating a bit is fine, but you don't want to overdo it. They are super processed and have very questionable ingredients.
I would recommend these types of changes:
1. Going for almond/coconut or cashew milk over soy
2. Making tempeh in a stirfry over fake beef crumbles like boca or morning star
3. Making zoodles or spaghetti squash over shirataki

I'm not against eating soy- but I try to keep portions in control and aim for least processed types.....of course, even now that I eat some meat again, I still love the occasional veggy burger!!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-17, 12:37

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

For those going dairy-free, but love yogurt, I found a couple of good brands of vegan ones: (Bonus: lower carb then regular yogurt, due to no lactose, and maybe less sweetener!)

and

I've only tried blueberry and strawberry in each; I prefer the strawberry in Forager and the blueberry in Kite Hill. I buy them at an independent organic food store (not everything is organic there, though) but I think WF carries them both.

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Tue, Mar-14-17 at 12:43.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-17, 04:18

Thank you for your suggestions, Robin120! I had never heard of shirataki before and had to Google that, but the thing you make zoodles with was already on my shopping list! Unfortunately I can't get tempeh where I live (I'm from a really small town lol). I love almond milk and always choose that over soy milk, though.

I kind of knew the fake meats aren't good for you, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what to eat instead of them at the moment. I often made my own seitan before instead, but it's just too high carb right for me right now (I'm trying to stay under 25 carbs a day).
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-17, 09:55

BF:

Seitan is wheat gluten water and spices. Except I am gluten intolerant so I have to use an alternative flour. It doesn't have anything else in it.

Last edited by jmh6251 : Fri, Mar-17-17 at 09:57. Reason: Spelling
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-17, 16:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatChick
I kind of knew the fake meats aren't good for you

They are not all terrible. Read labels and make wise decisions. I mean, seriously, we'd all have to stop eating - just about everything you eat has someone saying it's unhealthy (meat, eggs, oils, diary products, potatoes, grains, soy, butter, "fake meats", to name a few)

Here's an article from UC Berkeley Wellness Blog: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/hea...-meat-gets-real - be sure to click 'expand' at the bottom to read the whole thing.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-17, 10:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatChick
Thank you for your suggestions, Robin120! I had never heard of shirataki before and had to Google that, but the thing you make zoodles with was already on my shopping list! Unfortunately I can't get tempeh where I live (I'm from a really small town lol). I love almond milk and always choose that over soy milk, though.

I kind of knew the fake meats aren't good for you, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what to eat instead of them at the moment. I often made my own seitan before instead, but it's just too high carb right for me right now (I'm trying to stay under 25 carbs a day).

I love that portable love pizza, too- a halved bell pepper also works well.

I live in a major city, but let me try to post a few ideas for things I think you can find easily, or would be worth ordering (like flax meal or coconut flour. I buy the brand Bob's for both):

Breakfasts:
There are countless ways to do eggs- try something new like shakshuka (an Israeli dish where eggs are poached in tomato sauce) or sunny side eggs with radish hash browns (even if you think you dislike radishes, try these!)
On days where you have carbs to spare- Greek yogurt with all natural peanut or almond butter
Leftovers!
You can make a hot cereal from flax meal or coconut flour- check out recipe forums or google low carb hot cereal

Lunches or dinners:
Salads are obvious but you can also try lettuce wraps with say egg salad or grilled veggies and baba gnoiush, lettuce tacos, a salad with sautéed spinach for a base for a hot salad, etc.....

Those zoodles as mentioned! Making an Asian peanut sauce with tofu is a favorite for me.

You can make great Thai curries with coconut milk, or soups!

I love making bread with this recipe-
https://www.verywell.com/focaccia-s...x-bread-2241708
A current favorite is to make it for avocado toast- sometimes I add an egg, sprouts and roasted veggies, goat cheese, etc.....
It is also good for an open face cheese and tomato melt
Pb and sf jam

I love making a quiche to cut grocery bills for dinner- check out e pizza quiche in recipe forum. It is easily adapted to be veg
I usually serve it with a side salad

Since you liked the portobello pizza, you might like making an eggplant parm. You can "bread" it with flax or Parmesan (the kind from a can), but I usually just leave it "naked." I layer the eggplant, sauce and cheese- and add Parmesan/parsley after it is done.

I often like a grazing plate- I make/ buy crackers made with flaxseed (recipe forum) but others use melted cheese, too. I pick a dip or two- guacamole, hummus, tzatiki, baba gnoiush, herb/ranch......and then I cut a veg veggies, and sometimes a pickled veg, too. Then I cut up about 2 oz cheese, and I'm set. Artichoke hearts, olives, marinated mushrooms all fit well, too.

I also love snacks- veggies with dips, nuts and seeds, cheeses, kale chips, seaweed snacks, etc....coconut milk makes a great ice cream.

You might find you don't need to be quite as strict as 25 g carbs. As a veg, you are already drastically changing the really nasty stuff (grains, sugar, etc...).
You will figure it out as you go along. I think a lot of veggies would've better off at a slightly higher carb intake, but eating less processed foods.
I tried to be super low carb (under 20-25) for years but ate way too many boca burgers and tofurkey slices.
Eating more veggies did bump up my carbs, but it was a much better diet!
30-35 is my magic number, but like I said, we are all different.
Still- I can't believe anyone is better off eating just 10 less carbs a day, but most are coming from hilghly processed foods. I also, think it is important to choose foods from a variety of sources (I.e. It is bad to overeat any food whether it is soy, dairy or anything else). Getting a variety ensures you get a better variety of nutrients.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-17, 10:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo

I've only tried blueberry and strawberry in each; I prefer the strawberry in Forager and the blueberry in Kite Hill. I buy them at an independent organic food store (not everything is organic there, though) but I think WF carries them both.

I get the plain one from WF sometimes- it is great and just 5 carbs! It is pricey, though.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 16:17

Wow, Robin120, thank you so much for going through the trouble of posting all that!! So many good things in there that I need to try, I don't even know where to start lol! I can even find all the ingredients for the bread at the store, so I'm definitely trying that one tomorrow!

I had a pretty bad flu last week (still recovering) and I think I accidentally kicked myself out of ketosis on the first day by drinking cough syrup without checking the label! So I will stay under 25 carbs for a week or two longer to make sure I'm fully there again, but then I will probably increase to under 35 too, so that I can eat a more nutritious diet.