Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 03:09

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Any restaurant ideas?

After reading another post where Paleoanth mentioned that restaurants needed to update their vegetarian (carb based) selections, I was curious...

Does anyone go to any good restaurants that serve a decent low carb (or can be adjusted to low carb) dish besides omelets and side salad?? (Chinese okay, anything else??)

I think it would be very interesting (and helpful!!!) to hear where vegetarians eat and what they eat when going out for dinner.

Me - have gone to Chili's and they actually made a special veggie fajitas (no rice, no beans, no tortillas) that was very tasty. Thai went okay -tofu curry. A trip to Perkins went horribly wrong though.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 19:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

LC Veggie choices for me include a bunless veggie burger at my local pub, or a nice vegetable curry at the Indian restaurant. If you're not self-conscious , you can grab veggie pizza and toss the crusts.

It's tough, though. It'll be easier once you're pretty much in maintenance and can spare some carbs for beans or even whole wheat bread.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 21:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quiches .. just leave the crust.

Believe it or not, a steakhouse is good, or place that serves grilled veggies as a side dish .. just ask 'em to top with lots o' cheese.

Thai can be tricky, there's often sugar added. If the food is cooked to order, then ask that no sugar be used.

Middle Eastern ... baba ghanouj (puréed roasted eggplant with garlic and olive oil and garlic, plus more garlic ) with raw veggies and a dish of spiced olives for dipping. Ignore the pitas.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Kristine, can you please tell me about the Indian Curry you eat.

I have a restaurant very close to me that specializes in curries, and although they do offer vegetable curry, I don't know how to count it, as I don't know what's in the sauce, etc. Duh...I suppose I could ask!

Also, don't they put potatoes in vegetable curry?

Please tell me how you count your curry, I would be very grateful!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 01:18

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Wow it was great to hear replies from this!

Those are some good ideas, ones I did not think of before. I haven't gone to an indian restaurant since low carbing but yes it would be easy. I would probably get something with paneer such as saag paneer. That can't be too bad I suppose.

I wanted to add one restaurant idea I forgot - Greek places are great. Often having several low carb vegetarian appetizers and I order the spanakopita and open it up, take off the filo dough and eat the inside of feta and spinach. Last time I had that I did not stall at all.