Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 05:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Optimizing Nutrition. Marty Kendall blog.

New, interesting post by Marty Kendall on Insulin Load...the Greatest Thing Since Carb Counting!

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...-carb-counting/

I can't find a previous thread on this forum...only these? And Marty deserves his own thread here...hi, Marty

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471068
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467885
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 09:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Thanks, Janet, I check his site occasionally and this latest post is spectacular.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 16:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Great new post! I've read Marty's blog before, but this post really makes it clear to me how to figure out my insulin load. Somehow, I never quite understood how before this.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 18:14

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I fell off the rails again today! Feeling like crap. Tired, what I'm doing just doesn't work anymore. I can gain weight eating LCHF! My stomach is huge! A sign of insulin resistance? 5'10"265, most charts say I should weigh 170#. I would be happy at 200#

This link seems like it addresses my problem, but I get lost trying to read the links. Here is what I think:

1. I don't need extra fat.
2. I eat too much protein
3. I don't eat enough fiber
4. If I eat more fiber and less protein, my insulin load will decrease.

When the charts say a food is insulinogenic (sp) is the higher number better ?

Eating this way for me has turned into a science project. I weigh every day, but I know better than to trust the scale.

Thanks for allowing me space to be frustrated. I want to post what I ate today, butI don't want to be a negative influence to anyone else. as bad as I feel my BS is 125 after my latest binge. But I feel sick physically.

Last edited by newlowc : Tue, May-03-16 at 18:30.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 19:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes! It was confirming to me to hear her say she raised carbs just a bit and lowered protein. I did the same and saw my blood ketone numbers jump dramatically.

Newlowc, any chance you're like me with many, many food intolerances? I kept trying everything to lose and nothing was working.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 20:39

BF:

At this point I really don't know Nancy. I usually use exercise as a large component of weight loss. I can't do that right now.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 03:32

New lowc, I think the LCHF message is being messed up by popular Keto boards like Reddit and our new found love of fat. When you set your "Macros" at 75% fat that also has to include the amount of Fat coming from your body. Kelley Pounds had another post and read her first post too:
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/. titled
Don't Force The Fat! Excellent..with the pie charts, Dr Westman videos, and bar graphs to illustrate how fat loss works over the phases of weight loss.
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/.
Of course there is no way to measure how much fat is coming from the body, why if you use a tracker at all (not necessary) it should only be to see carbs under 20g and the appropriate grams of protein for you. Ignore the fat goal and intake, just eat fat to satiety. As the example given for an an "average man" in the first phase with 600 cal. of protein, it is only 900 cal. Of fat.
Read the "Keto is not a Free for all" link, and for more, then Dr Ted Naiman website Burnfat...(hit link below poster to find it). If I remember right, his estimate for dietary fat when you have body fat to lose is even lower.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-04-16 at 03:47.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 03:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for these links, Janet. Marty's information is very complementary and adds additional layers of knowledge in the ability to control the most important hormone for weight and health management, insulin. Using his data for intelligent dietary adjustments helps with individual optimization.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 08:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Of course, after today's news from NuSi, I'm questioning whether or not ketosis is all that beneficial for weight loss. I know my case is special due to my only recently discovered food intolerances, but being in deep ketosis didn't help me lose weight.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 21:03

BF:

Thanks for the links Janet. It seems the more I learn the dumber I get. Love the line: "If your body is High Fat you really only need the Low Carb"

Years ago I lost 80 lbs in 5 months. I saw an infomercial with Susan Powter (SP) Fat make you Fat.

In retrospect, I cut out processed food, did an hour of cardio a day M-F, sometimes twice a day on weekends. I ate an apple and a banana for breakfast after the cardio, salad with grilled chicken breast for lunch with fat free dressing, and another salad with chicken breast for dinner. At least 3 liters of water a day. Chicken, fish, egg whites for protein, no bread.

I would hate to see the carb count on that, plus the exercise probably negated everything I ate. I had a physical job also.

I'm saying this to say I think my truth is somewhere in the middle. I am gorging on protein and fat.

Just venting some more.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 21:56

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I can be in deep ketosis for weeks without losing an ounce, so I know it's no guarantee of weight loss. That is why, previously, I stopped the WOE in total frustration.

But now I'm trying IF to see if that will work, and then ketosis comes in handy because of the lack of hunger and cravings. Plus all the other numerous health benefits independent of weight loss makes ketosis an incredible "state" to be in.

If I had to include my "on-board" fat as part of my macros, I wouldn't have anything left to eat: very low carbs and moderate protein in order to keep insulin low -- without fat, what the heck is left to eat?

It's all so very confusing.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 03:50

Kat, Haven't you been doing well on that combo lately? If it is working, stick with it. Fat loss is rate limited, so that on-board pantry is only willing to release a certain %. You do add fat "until satisfied" (that is hard for many to know at first) If you have 4 oz of protein with its own fat, and with some butter on veg and salad dressing, you probably don't need the LC cheesecake as Kelly used in her example.
What is crazy are the folks who feel because they did not eat 1500 cal as fat today, they "have to have" dessert.

Marty is adding the insulin load concept to which foods will help keep cravings in check, with a food list for weight loss.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-05-16 at 03:55.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: low insulin load
Stats: 105/95.4/96 Male 186
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks for sharing!

Hi Janet

Thanks heaps for sharing. It's so great to see the posts resonating with people!

I think an increased fat approach works for a lot of people up front because they reduce their insulin load and which helps with the release of stored body fat and satiety.

Eventually though you need to use up your "on board fat".

Cheers

Marty
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 20:03

BF:

I am guilty of eating too much fat and protein. But I can't do all this math to eat! I'm so fat, so overweight I don't understand why my body fights the weight loss now. If I were within twenty pounds of goal I could see it slowing down.

Reducing my insulin load sounds like it makes sense, (but so does everything else).

So does this bring me to Low carb/Moderate Protein/Moderate Fat/HighFiber

Marty, any meal plans to demonstrate?

I'm thinking if i run a macro calculation take the results, and run a fat deficit I should be ok right?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 20:39

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Kat, Haven't you been doing well on that combo lately? If it is working, stick with it. Fat loss is rate limited, so that on-board pantry is only willing to release a certain %. You do add fat "until satisfied" (that is hard for many to know at first) If you have 4 oz of protein with its own fat, and with some butter on veg and salad dressing, you probably don't need the LC cheesecake as Kelly used in her example.
What is crazy are the folks who feel because they did not eat 1500 cal as fat today, they "have to have" dessert.

Marty is adding the insulin load concept to which foods will help keep cravings in check, with a food list for weight loss.

I think I'm doing well -- haven't weighed in a few days, but clothing is feeling looser! I did two 23:1 IF's this week, so hopefully I'll drop another 1/2-1 pound. I do add butter to veggies, and HWC to coffee, etc. -- but I really don't go crazy on the added fat. I also don't worry about eating a lot of calories if I'm not hungry.

Just like everybody else, I get impatient and want my body to be like a petri dish where the science applies perfectly -- ha ha ha!