Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

Thanks for the responses. I am starting to think it could be a general response to histamine. Also, I read that losing/using stored fat releases histamine?

Both these attacks happened late in the day so it's like my system got a histamine overload by that point. I had done yard work in the a.m., and I looked up the pollen count for the day, and it was the highest it had been for a month, so that probably was affecting me, especially since I didn't change my clothes. Also, I made a tomato sauce for dinner, and I discovered that tomatoes cause your body to release histamine.

I took quercetin/bromelain yesterday and will go take some now. I prefer taking that than prednisone, which is what ER wants me to take until I visit an allergist.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 16:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I will not take pred.

Tumeric is anti inflammatory too.

Hope you can nail down the cause asap. I have also heard the allergist testing is not accurate either. Been there done that.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 07:51
Registered Member

I think the problem is this. My symptoms fit exactly. Glad I laid down on the floor when my blood pressure dropped and didn't sit in a chair!

I will get this tested ...

Link
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 09:26

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Wow, really interesting.

Quote:
“We keep changing the microbiome with antibiotics and what we eat,” Iweala says. By tweaking the microbes that live inside us, we may have inadvertently changed how our immune system responds to alpha-gal, making us more vulnerable to tick-induced meat allergy. It’s also possible, however, that the microbes that determine the general tone of our immune function have shifted, altering how we respond to all potential allergens, not just alpha-gal.

I used to have Spring allergies until I started taking probiotics. It took about 3 years and was a nice benefit. I drink homemade kefir all the time now.

Quote:
The good news is that, provided you’re not bitten by a tick again, sometimes the meat allergy fades on its own.

That sounds hopeful at least.

Those ticks are a menace. My dog got really sick this spring from one that doesn't have a vaccine. I have a friend whose husband is dealing with heart issues from Lyme Disease.

I have to confess that I haven't taken the advice to wear long pants, socks and so forth very seriously, but I also can't imagine this:

Quote:
When he got home, he discovered hundreds of larval-stage ticks feeding on his ankles. (He spent the evening removing them with a knife and Scotch tape.)

I hope you find some answers and some relief. Life without meat and dairy would be a hard one for me.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 12:48
Registered Member

Thanks, JLx,

So far, i don't seem to be allergic to dairy, but I think I will drink more almond milk and stay away from excess dairy just for good measure.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 14:08

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've had a histamine reaction to pork, but not all pork. I wonder if it depends on what the pigs were fed. I mainly avoid it.

Overload can indeed occur when you are exposed to multiple allergens. I can handle a mild allergy to cats if I avoid outside allergens, diesel fumes and foods I am intolerant of. For me Quercetin/Bromelain works for a low level of histamines so I always try that first, then half a Claritin, then Benadryl if the lower-level remedies aren't working. It can actually help to take Quercetin/Bromelain daily during allergy season and half an hour or so before heading out to do yard work.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 19:10
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Deirdra. I have taken quercetin/bromelain, but I didn't think to take it before doing yard work. That's a good idea.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-18, 12:49
Registered Member

I finally got my test results. I do have the alpha gal allergy and I have a strong reaction to beef and pork, a less-strong one to milk.

I'm glad to know that this is what it is. I am grateful for ground chicken and ground turkey. I have continued to make the Diet Doctor crack slaw with one of those ground meats instead of beef.

I wish this hadn't happened because it derailed my focus on weight loss, as I had to focus on what to eat, what products I can use, etc. However, I recently attended an event with Dr. Westman and feel like I am back on track. Also, I couldn't eat the food there because of this allergy, so I only ate a salad, and by the next day, I had lost 2 pounds, so it all worked out.

The most frustrating part of this allergy isn't the eating part. It's trying to determine if products contain animal ingredients. I will visit an allergist next month, and I am hoping he will be able to provide me with a list of soaps, shampoos, creams, etc. that I can use.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-18, 13:10

BF:

Glad you now have an opportunity to remove those items and see if your situation improves dramatically. FIngers crossed.

WHile you have been derailed from weight loss, you are one step closer to better health.

I have started to have BIG reservations about commercial meat v. grass fed organic meats..... I do think what these meat sources eat and drink matter to how our bodies react. Not that long ago, but now generations, we used to eat only grass fed. Your situation makes me think on this again......
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-18, 17:14
Registered Member

I agree that grass fed is healthier, but I don't think that for this allergy it matters. On one of the days I had a reaction, I had eaten grass-fed beef.

Hope you are doing well, Arielle!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-18, 17:17

BF:

Yes, you are right about eliminating all beef and pork. I was thinking out loud.....

Good luck!!