Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 15:29

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Welcome Adonis,

I'm sure you'll find that not only will you be able to maintain the weight, you can also eat almost anything you'd like. It really is like living in the best of both worlds.

Remember though, as with any woe, once you go off it, you are not going to keep the weight off if you return to your old habits.

We all have an insulin problem, it is the cause for our addictions, and like diabetes, there is no cure. The only thing we can do is find the best and easiest woe to live with. I personally agree CAD/CALP is definitely the easiest, it can fit into anyone's schedule, and the only time "cheating" happens is when you don't plan ahead for occasions that will call for your RM at a certain time. Otherwise, there is no need to cheat because you can use it during your RM! Plus your appetite is supressed, and your cravings vanished!

Anyways, have fun overthe holidays, and enjoy the food you love!
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 16:09
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

Hope eveyone has a truely great Christmas and a safe and happy new year!

http://auholiday2001adm.udcom.com/
  #363   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 14:37

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 180/158/145
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have a question about the switch from atkins to CAD. I am on my second day of CAD. I feel guilty at my RM. I counted 175 carbs during this meal. I had a burger and a shake! I have realized that my appetite is low and I usually don't eat again until later in the evening around 6:00-8:00 if I am hungry. For breakfast I eat eggs and cheese. So my other meals are low carb and I do not snack in between meals because I have no need to. What my question is, is that is it alright to consum that many carbs during my RM. Should I worry about that or should I just enjoy it an maintain my other meals?

Amy
  #364   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 15:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

Your RM sounds fine. It is the timing of the RM that allows you to get away with that many carbs and still lose weight.

On the other hand, it depends on your own particular body chemistry and sensitivities. Some people can't handle the simple sugars, some have a sensitivity to wheat and yeast. Listen to your body and watch the scale. They will tell you if you need to cut down.
  #365   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 16:31

BF:

Thanks for the reply! I have been having my reward meal during lunch so I can burn carbs throughout the day. I do try to keep my meals balanced for the most part. Thank you again for the advice and help!

Amy
  #366   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 17:02

BF:

One more question! I was wondering if I need to be conserned about the fat and calorie count on the CAD diet during the RM?

Amy
  #367   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 04:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

A lot of the answers on CAD are "It depends." It depends on your own particular body chemistry and metabolism. It might also depend on the season. For some, calories and fat don't count. For some, it does. You'll have to listen to your own body. The fact that you are having a lunch RM also allows for more cals and fat. Just try to make sure it's balanced. At least most of the time.
  #368   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 13:56

Plan: Atkins/CAD??
Stats: 171/154/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I need to re-read my Carb Addicts book but would like to have the link to their website -- can you please provide that to me? Thanx.
  #369   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/184/165 Female 5' 6"
BF:no clue
Progress: 0%

#370   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:15

BF:

Thanks for the link -- I need to do a little more research re: CAD. I find it much more beneficial once I've answered all my own questions. I also think my 12 year old son would benefit from CAD. He's been on Atkins since August and is doing great, but it's a little harder for a 12 yr old to resist carb temptations -- I think this will be a great outlet for him. I'm glad I found this link and thank you all for your great info. Tons of thanx.
  #371   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 22:15

Stats: 233/176/155
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Everyone

This is the first thing I've ever posted. But I had to jump in and tell you of my experience with low carbing. I lost 70 lbs. on CAD, and I think it's a great WOL. But my husband needed to lose weight too and didn't want to try CAD. That's because he doesn't want to give up his midnight snack - which he says has to be something sweet. So a month ago, I decided to go on Atkins with him. He said that he didn't want to do induction, so we started out at about 40 grams of carbs a day. Well, his weight dropped 15 lbs. in a month (he started eating homemade yogurt flavored with Splenda syrups, instead of cookies and milk before bedtime), and mine started climbing. Finally, after I had gained about 8 lbs, I decided that I'd better go on Induction. So for five days I ate less than 20 grams of carb a day. I felt like I was hungry all the time (even an hour after I had finished my large meal)! And in that 5 days I never even lost one pound, and when I checked my ketones - there was none in my urine. Talk about discouraging So, last night I made up my mind that I would start back on CAD today. Wow, wow, wow!!! - I had almost forgotten how good it felt not to be hungry! And I didn't even have one craving today. But, it's not going to be easy to have my RM, as my husband will want to eat any goodies that he sees me eating. So I guess after I eat my meat and veggies, I'll have to go sneak some chocolate

Anybody else out there having to fix both Atkins and CAD meals?

I had bought sacks of nuts (all kinds) to make low carb desserts when I started Atkins last month, so I'm wondering if I can eat them during my RM and still lose weight. Possibly they're what helped me to gain all the weight.

Well, thought I'd stick my 2 cents worth in (it's been more like 2000 cents worth - almost wrote a book, didn't I?)

God bless you all,

Karen
  #372   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:38

BF:

Karen, can you give me a quick breakdown of what your average day meals look like? From what I can gather, it's basically, carb free (or very low carb) breakfast and lunch, then an one hour dinner where you can eat anything you want (even pasta and chocolate cake). Is this right? I understand that you can change your RM to lunch or breakfast, but it should be consistent. If this is right, I think it won't be that hard to switch over from Atkins to CAD. I've been very worried - I start thinking I'm going to gain all my lost weight back in a week. I need to ease into this CAD WOE and would like some suggestions on starting off easy (not too many carbs) so that I don't feel like I'm going overboard. Thanx bunches.
  #373   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:49

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%
Default stingerita

yup, you basically got it right! A few more rules: Big salad before your RM is a must, as is 1/3 protein, 1/3 LC veggies and 1/3 carbs, any carbs. If you want more of any of your food, you MUST eat more of all 3rds! And the meal can only last 60 mins from start to finish! Good luck! And - no, you won't gain your weight back. We've all thought that at the beginning, but it isn't so ! Go for it, and if you are a carb addict, the pounds will come melting off, slowly, one, by one, by one....!!!
  #374   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:58

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Karen,

I think it is wonderful your whole family is low-carbing. We know that not one plan is right for everyone, so it is only natural you have one or two plans in your household. What is great about yours is that if you ever "fall" off the wagon, you won't have anything but low-carb foods to grab! I'm sure that will be a life-saver once or twice.
  #375   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:06

BF:

Thanx for the reassurances. I was literally too scared to try it last night and chickened out at the last minute. My 12 year old (whose been on Atkins with me for 4 months) tried it and said he felt "free". I did forget to give him the salad before hand, but I'll make sure to add it from now on. He had pasta with ground beef and cheese with an italian pasta sauce. Then he had a small low-carb brownie with 1/2 cup of no-sugar-added icecream.

What do I do if he is still hungry after the hour is up? What do I do if he's hungry an hour after he's done. I understand that there's no snacking on CAD and he's used to ham and cheese roll ups for snacks. Is there a cut-off time in the evening (i.e., no eating past 7:00 p.m.)?

As you can see, I have tons of questions. I started reading my Carb Addicts book again last night but also understand it's outdated. Thanx for your help.