Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:17

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Question Alfredo Sauce?

Wondering about alfredo sauce in the jar (Classico)... Would you or wouldn't you? It has 3g. carbs per 1/4 cup... I'm working on figuring out a recipe (an adaptation of the great pizza recipe in the Main dishes section).. Now--the entire recipe which would make at least 6 svgs. (if not more) would only use 1/2 cup, which would only equal about 1 carb per svg. I don't see sugar listed within the first 4 ingredients, or even in the entire recipe for that matter. Corn starch is listed, but it's way way down the ing. list. "Natural flavors" also listed which possibly might mean MSG (would just have to try it for that, and see what happens).. Was thinking of adding chicken and spinach--to make a "casserole" for my cms.. I've been keeping my cms as clean as I can, but I sure could use something different. Anyone have any advice or opinion for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:38

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

You could also try making your own:

Alfredo Sauce

6 Tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 Cup heavy cream
1 Cup Parmesan cheese - freshly grated
Salt to taste
ground white pepper
1 garlic clove

Place butter and garlic in large skillet over medium-low heat. Stir till garlic is golden, don’t brown! Add cream and cook and stir until mixture bubbles. Cook another 2 minutes. Stir in salt & pepper. Remove from heat and gradually stir in Parmesan, wisking until smooth. Return briefly to heat to completely blend cheese, but do NOT let sauce bubble or cheese will become lumpy and tough.

Makes 4 servings. 1.9 carb per serving. <---- I haven't verified this and don't know how much the "serving" works out to, quantity-wise.

Last edited by jeanyyy : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 16:41.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:11
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I wouldn't. Heavy cream is fine on Atkins but more than 2 oz. once a day isn't allowed on CAD/CALP.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 00:16

BF:

Jean--Thanks for the sauce recipe---it certainly looks good, and I will try it, for sure.
Z--I knew it was too good to be true.. I don't think that 1 svg. would go over the allowed amount, but I thought it was borderline too--guess I will make one anyway (with Jean's sauce recipe-yum), and use it only for rms. Maybe when I reach goal I can try it for the cms...Really not wanting to do anything right now that might cause a stall...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 01:03

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I think that 2/3 of a cup is about 5 oz total, and it makes 4 servings... so it would fit into CAD's limitations, wouldn't it?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 06:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well, it looks fine on the surface but you're also limited to 2 tbsp. fat per CM (not that we really ever count). CAD is lower fat than Atkins and I think the fat from the cream, butter, and cheese will stall. That's why a lot of lc Atkins recipes don't work for CADers. You could try and see what happens. If it stalls, cut it out.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sun, Aug-31-03 at 06:05.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 06:06

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

If I am interpretting the CALP book correctly, cream/heavy cream etc is restricted to 2oz daily as a LC food (for any CM or CS). It is also on the list of carbohydrate-rich foods, so one could also have it during a balanced RM. Otherwise, all the people who have ice cream for dessert are overdoing the cream.

So, Jean's Alfredo Sauce recipe is alright to have during a RM, as long as anyone eating it is aware it has some carbs in additional to any other carbs eatend during that meal.

I thought the whole idea of CAD/CALP was not to get overly bogged down by too many rules and counting this and that and enjoy this WOE.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:47

BF:

Well, Z--that's exactly what I was thinking.. It would probably work as far as the carbs go, but---there is a WHOLE lot of fat in there (I think just under 800 per svg), because of all the cheese. Which is another reason I thought it would probably be "borderline". Probably not my best choice for a cm--especially since I'm losing "turtle style" with pretty low fat cms.. I might splurge and have it for rm sometime, just for fun--and I know I wouldn't have to worry about overeating--if it's as good as they say, I might have to fight for my fair share... I'd probably be better off to make Jean's alfredo sauce, and just have it over a little ww pasta with steamed veggies for rm one night. Much lower fat, over all. I know we don't have to worry about the total carb/fat thing too much, but you know all that just HAS to count in there somewhere...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:51

BF:

Guess I should clarify--there are about 700 calories per svg. (many many of them from fat) in the recipe I was speaking of--not in the alfredo sauce itself. Lots of added cheeses.. BTW--Kokle, I like your new picture--looking very slim and trim there...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:25
«º°¤§µgä&§pïcꤰº»

Plan: LC Paleo/IF
Stats: 185/161/142 Female 66 inches (5'6")
BF:All over
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Well, it looks fine on the surface but you're also limited to 2 tbsp. fat per CM (not that we really ever count). CAD is lower fat than Atkins and I think the fat from the cream, butter, and cheese will stall. That's why a lot of lc Atkins recipes don't work for CADers. You could try and see what happens. If it stalls, cut it out.

I wouldn't. Heavy cream is fine on Atkins but more than 2 oz. once a day isn't allowed on CAD/CALP.

I didn't know that CM's were limited to 2 tbsp. of fat. Glad I read this post! I guess I should also count for the cheese and keep meats as lean as possible. I don't eat more than 2 ounces of cheese for CM's anyways. (most of the time I use 1oz for breakfast and 1oz for lunch).

About Heavy cream no more than 2oz once a day..does that only include CM's or that coffee/tea with cream/milk/half&half (both)? Or does that mean for RM I shouldn't have more cream if I use 2oz during the day?

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:28

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

What Z is refering to is 2 T added fat, i.e. salad dressing, butter, marg, mayo etc.

The 2 oz cream is outside of RM time.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 14:45
«º°¤§µgä&§pïcꤰº»

Plan: LC Paleo/IF
Stats: 185/161/142 Female 66 inches (5'6")
BF:All over
Progress: 56%

Ah Ha! Thanks so much Jalera for clearing that up for me.

#13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 12:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

THAT'S why I'm so hungry between meals!!! (sorry, having a "eureka!" moment here...)

On Atkins, the fat is what kept me so full... I've been fighting off the growling of my stomach in between meals on CAD.... but now, I'm told I can snack if hungry (contrary to the book saying NO snacking....) <sigh> Am I ever going to learn it all?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 03:07

Plan: atkins/now cad
Stats: 179/154/155 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hey there Potatofree,
I have actually discovered that protien will stay with me longer than just fat. On Sundays I will cook several chicken breasts and put them in the frig. They are very handy if I need a snack or just feel like topping a salad with something. Cream cheese and regular cheese is not as filling (at least for me) as having 2-3 oz of any type of protien. I admit that this is somewhat of a boring snack but I have gotten to the point that I do not care what it is as long as it gets the job done with the least amount of carbs. I am quite happy to have a none boring rm and who cares about the rest of the day. I just eat not to feel hungry. Now if I can just get those rm where they are less filled with cake I think I will have this woe down pat. I am hoping to burn out on that stuff soon and be happy with a couple pieces of high fiber bread and some fruit. Take care and you are doing a great job,
Pam