Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 13:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/242/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default aspertame

This is my first month on phase 1 and i have been doing well until abt two weeks ago and i hit my first plateau. I am a 50 year old woman and I looked at my records such as calories and making sure about my carbs. I also read up on plateaus and I believe I'm consuming aspartame and did not realize it.

I don't drink coffee but Diet Coke is my coffee, but i think my downfall was Crystal Lite. I thought, and this i believe was about two weeks ago, that i'm drinking a lot of water, but its boring even with veggies or fruits in it, so why not try Crystal Lite. Now I am wondering is this the reason for my plateau.

If that is the case how long should it take for me to see a difference? Just a guesstament for the Aspartame to leave my body? Does anyone know or have any idea? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-17, 09:03

Stats: 243/220/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I am very interested in the answer to this question too. I have decided to quit all sweeteners until I am past sugar cravings and then possibly adding them back in. I have only starting researching which sweeteners would be best to use.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 08:05

BF:
Progress:

I have heard splenda, but it does have a slight amount of carbs but from what i have read sounds like good carbs, but still researching also.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 08:36

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

tmantey, I wouldn't worry about the aspartame for now, as long as you're consuming moderate quantities. It does help the water habit.

As to plateaus...WAY too early to worry about that. The first lesson we learn with our beginning LC lifestyle is patience. Follow your plan to the letter. Enjoy this way of eating. Take your time.

I know. I know. Now that you are finally making a commitment, you want that extra stuff OFF your body NOW. We all do. Our bodies, needless to say, have minds of their own--or at least metabolic ideas of their own. We're learning to work with what and who we naturally are, not according to false expectations set up by the diet gurus and experiences of other people.

Just keep on going. It's a journey, not a goal. Use other evidence of well-being to decide how well it's working.

Oh, and stick around here!
Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 07:55

BF:
Progress:

Thank you. You are right I never worried or thought much about carbs. always did the calorie thing, this is much easier and i'm not starving! I just have to remember that even without losing the weight I am feeling better and feel more in charge of my life. It is just frustrating that i was doing so well in the losing department and now i seem stuck and i'm so far from my goal! But it took years for me to get like this. I have stayed my weight pretty much for the last 20 years, but now i am slowly creeping up and want to get a handle on it, whereas before I was complacent and i should not have been.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-17, 09:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Usually the first weight lost is water, then it takes a while (people vary) for the body to ramp up & lose the rest of the weight.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-17, 10:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmantey
Thank you. You are right I never worried or thought much about carbs. always did the calorie thing, this is much easier and i'm not starving! I just have to remember that even without losing the weight I am feeling better and feel more in charge of my life. It is just frustrating that i was doing so well in the losing department and now i seem stuck and i'm so far from my goal! But it took years for me to get like this. I have stayed my weight pretty much for the last 20 years, but now i am slowly creeping up and want to get a handle on it, whereas before I was complacent and i should not have been.

So many people come to this way of eating only for weight loss. If you realize and then remember that there are many health benefits to this way of eating beyond weight loss it is easier to be patient with how fast or slow the weight comes off.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-17, 10:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Some people have trouble with artificial sweeteners, some do not. A stall has to last six weeks to be a true stall; and prompt changes.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 19:00

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Congratulations, you've lost more than 10 pounds in a month!! That's great weight loss. Especially for those of us over 40. If it's a diet you just want to get if off quick and be done. But if its a way of eating (WOE) for life, you know it may take some time to reach your goals. Hang in there!! You are doing great.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 20:22
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/150 Female 5' 9''
BF:
Progress: 16%

Listen, we all can relate. I can't count how many times i've read "weight loss is not linear." And i've read that ..no matter the weight loss plan. i think it is a fact no one loses consistently ...and from what I can tell on the low carb forum..it takes time..stick with it.. and it will go down over time.

You are so right. No hunger, cravings... of course we can give it time!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-17, 03:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The dreaded "plateau" (it's not one) in week 3-4 is so common there is an article about weight loss patterns in "Best Of" forum.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499