Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 14:53

Plan: Medi Weightloss
Stats: 185/157/143 Female 67"
BF:
Progress:
Default Need Nut Free Low Cab Protein Bars

Hi,
I have been doing a low carb diet for two months now and doing well. My adult son would like to try but he is allergic to tree nuts so he can't have most prepackaged low carb low sugar protein bars. He can do the shakes but I find the bars important when you feel like you need a treat. Does anyone know of any options, or recipes. Thank you kindly!
Merry

Last edited by mnordeen : Mon, Apr-10-17 at 04:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 18:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hello,

As per the forum rules to which you agreed when you registered, please note that we do not support proprietary private-clinic plans here.

Do feel free to stick around and learn about low carb eating, centered around real food. In our Kitchen forums, there are lots of ideas for treats with healthy ingredients, many of them nut-free.

Best wishes,
Kristine & the ALCF team
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-17, 05:00

Plan: Medi Weightloss
Stats: 185/157/143 Female 67"
BF:
Progress:

Dear Kristine,
Thank you for pointing out my error. I was confused because I have seen many references to "Medi-Friendly" which is all that I was seeking. I have edited my post to be in compliance.
Sincerely,
Merry Nordeen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 10:31

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi merry,
In general most folks avoid the bars and stick to less processed foods with fewer junky ingredients.

So I would make something from sweet treats recipe forum for a "treat."

For the convenience of a bar- I would go with epic. They are basically fancy jerky, but have the convenience of a bar. VT farms makes really nice pepperoni sticks- I'm partial to the ancho turkey variety.

Other easy things to replace bar for your son- pumpkin seeds come in loads of favors, dry roasted edamame are another good snack, baby bel cheese or string cheese travel well, hard boiled eggs, deli slices of turkey rolled up with a pickle spear, celery stuffed with sun seed butter...there are tons of great portable snacks and these will be much healthier than a bar.
You can make chips with melted cheese or flax meal.....
Note- if you use recipe to make cookies that uses peanut butter as a base and sub sunsets butter they will taste great, but turn GREEN when baked.
I would go with something a macaroon instead.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 11:13

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

if he can eat coconut, he might like these bars:
breakfast bars
1 dozen eggs
2 tbsp xylitol
1/8 tsp pure stevia extract powder (i use the now brand, have heard that some kinds of stevia taste gross, but i've never had a problem with now)
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
2Tbsp cinnamon (you can use less if you dont like it as cinnamony!! we <3 cinnamon, and it has a lot of health benefits)

blend, pour into lined muffin tin or onto parchment lined cookie sheet. bake 350F oven x 15 min or until set. these freeze really well, so it's a handy recipe to make on the weekend to freeze for busy mornings.

i have a couple of other tried and true, high protein, snack recipes in the first post of my journal. my kids eat this breakfast bar recipe all. the. time. (i make theirs with honey instead of xylitol because they are not on lowcarb)