Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 20:31

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

"I'm feeling crummy today. Sorry to take it out on you, Soule."

Its ok I was like that recently as well. Were all just trying to be healthy here.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 10:38
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_kid
I threw together something similar the other day: equal parts PB and coconut oil (I used 1 Tbs each), with a dash of SF vanilla syrup. I just stirred it all together at room temperature (the PB was chilled, but the CO still mixed in smoothly). It's super rich and yummy.

My favorite way to get in coconut oil: 1 TBSP of warm coconut oil mixed with 1 TBSP of peanut better. Mix together and eat. I love it!
  #273   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Norwegian diabetic 21yrs old details her low carb experience and time on Jan Kwaśniewskis principle Sorry about the Google Translate. Perhaps there are other readers who could at least translate the heading. My guess is "INSULIN FREE ON HIGH FAT DIET"

Last edited by Hutchinson : Sun, May-24-09 at 02:38.
  #274   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 13:35

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Norwegian diabetic 21yrs old details her low carb experience and now time on Jan Kwaśniewskis principle Sorry about the Google Translate. Perhaps there are other readers who could at least translate the heading. My guess is "INSULIN FREE ON HIGH FAT DIET"

I think you are absolutely right. German is not a million miles away from Norwegian, so I can guess at this and that when I see it written down.

amanda
  #275   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 06:21

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

I need to stick better to an high fat diet and also I need to prevent blood sugar swings by avoiding even mild triggers and also I need to eat on a budget.

Because of this I thought the best solution would be to have 6 "perfect meals" and to rotate and alternate them.
This way I can't make mistakes and know what to buy.

Can you please suggest six perfect meals that could become the foundation of my diet?
  #276   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 06:59

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Dorian - Eggs and potatoes are very affordable and fit in Dr. K's diet. Combined they provide all the nutrition you need. Next, add other foods if you can afford it. In the US, chuck roast goes on sale for $2/lb. Chuck roast slow cooked for three hours provides a lot of affordable nutrition. Same for pork chops. Pork chops often are too lean, you can cook in lard or butter.
Meal 1 - bacon and eggs, one potato sliced and fried in the grease.
Meal 2 - chuck roast and coffee.
Meal 3 - pork chops pan fried in some fat.
You can add cheese and wine to any of the meals as you can afford them. Get berries on sale when they are in season. Bananas often are affordable.
  #277   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 08:54

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi all,I also follow Dr.K's advice.I found this way of eating so easy after I decided to start buying frozen foods.Frozen hamburger patties,eggs and frozen fatfree hashbrowns form bulk of diet.

I strive for P25/F50/C15 per meal.

I say easy since its all premeasured for me.Breakfast....I cut off 3tbsps butter into pan and throw in 4eggs and one hashbrown.

Dinner is usually....1 burger patty,2-tbsp butter,2eggs and one hashbrown.

lunch is on road and its always chicken wings.I love em and cant get enough of them.3 wings(there cooked in a spicy sweet sauce) and a coffee with healthy serving of H&H.

Its so easy and I feel satisfied.Sometimes Ill add in sausage and eat that for breakfast and dinner.Frozen of course.

Oh and when I say frozen I still strive for healthy.I look for fat free hashbrowns since the ones with fat added use hydrogenated oils.I choose sausage with NO nitrites and preservatives.
  #278   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 09:02

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I went out with friends yesterday for Peking Duck at a great place, and *all* I ate was poultry meat (including the duck SKIN - wow that duck skin was nice and crispy and had a lot of delicious fat attached to it. Totally yummy), and a lot of shredded lettuce and scallion. I did *not* eat the fried crab wontons, the steamed pork dumplings, the cold sesame noodles nor the scallion pancakes!

I *did* have a little of the thin and watery sauces to sprinkle over my veggies. But it was all healthy stuff, and right now I have the chicken carcase in my crockpot where it is been simmering all night to make soup stock. A tiny gain was worth it, and *should* fall off soon. Right ????
  #279   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 09:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Duck is marvelous stuff! I wish I could cook it as well as the Asian restaurants do.
  #280   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 09:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
Can you please suggest six perfect meals that could become the foundation of my diet?

Hmm, well the recipes at the homo optimus website are already pretty balanced for P/F/C ratios. Many don't appeal to me (boiled pork knuckle, or gelatin with trotters), or contain or things I won't eat (bread crumbs, flour, white bread), but some look pretty good, and seem pretty economical, such as those below:

Dinner
P 9g, F 72g, C 6g, 1 : 3.8 : 0.3, 706 kcal

One serving of ribs with one heaping spoonful of coleslaw covered with a tablespoon of olive oil. No potatoes! For dessert: a cup of coffee with a tablespoon (30g) of whipped cream.
From http://homodiet.netfirms.com/menu/day_three.htm - where he gives the recipes for preparing the ribs and cole slaw.

Day 4 dinner also does not look bad:
Dinner
P 51.3g, F 83g, C 30g 1 : 1.6 : 0.6 1096 kcal

Cream of tomato soup (300 ml) made from bone marrow stock. Fried liver 200g) with onions . 1 potato (100g) grated with a teaspoon of butter (20g) and a pickle.
  #281   ^
Old Mon, May-25-09, 13:38

BF:

Chicken legs with skin can be bought for 99 cents per pound. Can bake those for 40 minutes, tastes great, low cost. My wife is cooking a ham bought at 98 cents per pound. Low cost eating, very easy to cook. No real cooking knowledge is necessary, just heat for the right amount of time. Some of the ladies posting here are much better cooks than I am, as is my wife. When I cook, I have to keep it very simple, due to lack of talent. To cut the budget, I now buy boxed wine. Pay about 6 cents per ounce. More and more, I hate to eat at restaurants. At home, you can eat exactly the food you want, with the portions you want, and you save a fortune.

Last edited by Matt51 : Mon, May-25-09 at 13:41. Reason: Forgot to add the wine
  #282   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 08:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Norwegian diabetic 21yrs old details her low carb experience and time on Jan Kwaśniewskis principle Sorry about the Google Translate. Perhaps there are other readers who could at least translate the heading. My guess is "INSULIN FREE ON HIGH FAT DIET"

Google translate is cool though. I have used it a couple times to look at the Polish Kwasniewski boards.

The comments I found especially interesting were:
"Among other things, told you that the error I had made, was to eat too much protein and too little fat. Later, I understood that this is a fairly common mistake many make when they eat lavkarbo [low carb] diet. They should eat more fat!"

And the Norweigian Diabetic Association seems no more enlightened than the US one:
"NDA recommends that diabetics eat a "normal", carbohydrate-rich diet with plenty of bread, light products and low fat - just as the authorities. For diabetics is the price for having such a diet diligent use of medications, often including insulin."

And how excellent that her HbA1c was only 5.6 percent after just a few months on the Kwasniewski diet! I know eating less protein and more fat has sure done wonders for my numbers too.
  #283   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 09:38

BF:

Merpeg, I bought the cookbook Nourishing Traditions. It was great. Very good information. Have you made the milks and yogurts ect. Where do you buy the Piima stuff? I am going through recipes now. I plan on making broth and some pate soon. This is very helpful. Since I havent lost any weight on OD I am hoping its because I have not been eating lots of organ meats and broth. I do eat lots of egg yokes though. Anyway we will see.
  #284   ^
Old Tue, May-26-09, 21:37

BF:

OK so I read this article again today and it says 1:3 ratio protein to fat. Could this be why I am not losing I eat the 1:2 ratio and sometimes 1: 2.5?

http://www.lowcarbportal.com/archiv...ewski/index.php
  #285   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 03:47

BF:

Try a 1:1 ratio for weight loss.