Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:01

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Runner's high.... from lifting??

Ok, who spiked my Smarties??

OMG - I think I felt the fabled runner's high for the first time today. Here's the catch.... I don't run. I was *lifting.* My schedule's been topsy turvy of late, so after missing a few workouts, I hit the gym hard today to make up for lost time. I was doing a full body circuit, but concentrating on lower body 'cuz that's what I like most. Started with calf press, just so I could kick its arse again. About 35 mins into the workout, I was already jelly-legged. Sat down to do abductors and as I started my warm-up set, I swear something weird happened. Slightly euphoric, a bit floaty - entirely different from light-headed, tho. Time sort of seemed to slow.... and I maxed another dang stack, lol. (abductors, 200 lbs, 5 reps)

Anyhow, whatever it was, it felt pretty darn good. And I think it was free and legal, too!

Cheers,

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:06

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Endorphin rush

Oh, how much I would love to feel runners high ONCE during weight training:-))
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 13:08
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Since I LIVE for the runner's high, Fridayeyes, I read your post with a great deal of envy. Nope, that's never happened to me while weight training, lol.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It happens to me too!!!! I know it's the same because it's what I felt when I was running in the Navy. Infact, the lifting gets my whole system going so much, I have trouble sleeping. I'm on this huge high and I'm sooooo awake. Within a half hour I want to lift again (eventhough my muscles are sore). I don't as I'm afraid I'll injure something....but it's amazing what weights can do for you! I"m really happy I included this in my diet plan. It's been several years since I've lifted anything (except kids)....I think it's the best thing I could've possibly done for myself!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:22

BF:

I have just read yesterday Schwarzenegger's account of the same thing.
He quotes Dr. Fred Hafield:
"Quantities of blood flooding a muslce stimulate any number of proprioceptive sensors. Exercise and the resulting pump create a whole cascade of hormonal responses, including release of endorphins and enkephalins, which are nature's painkillers."
Then he goes on with his own experience: "This is the bodybuilder's version of the runner's high, which also occurs dur to the release of hormones such as endorphins. In addition, an association develops over time, between the exercise and the positive feeling you get from it, so your pleasure centers are stimulated even more as your body relates the sensation of exercise with the good outcome."

I am happy to know that others than he can feel the same "sexual pleasure" while pumping iron. I would give up one week of my runner's highs for ONE pleasurable weight session

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Mar-22-04 at 19:22.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:53

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

ROFL! I *knew* I liked lifting! I've never felt it during any cardio, but even when I ran track, I was a sprinter. I'll sure as heck take it as one of the rewards for lifting, tho.

Cheers,

Friday
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is sooooo embarrassing.....don't think I'm terrible please.....but this must be the reason that my husband and I get more "physical" since we've started weight lifting. Over the last few years...with three little kids...things kinda slowed down....but now we're much more "active". We workout together swapping inbetween muscle groups. It's like it's a turn on....I don't know...I just really enjoy watching him work out. ( I can't believe I"m telling you guys this.... :blush I guess it's the endorphins from when I'm working out making me feel that way. Either way....I'm thankful for it!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 20:26

BF:

You should not be embarrassed... My husband and I both 47 years old. Married for 27 years. But we both feel in our 20s after our long runs:-)) And because our adults kids do not live with us, we can freely enjoy this newly discovered youth on weekends....
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:10

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I get this everytime I workout! I didn't know they called it a runner's high!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:15

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Just wanted to add, I ran at the Gym Monday for the first time since I was in the Military, I CAN NOT RUN TO SAVE MY LIFE! But I got in about ½ mile. It felt great and I am hoping to do a bit over ½ mile today!