Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 20:21

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzjnqtpy
Hi, I just stumbled onto this thread and felt like you guys are all talking about me. I do take antidepressants which I swear made my weight not come off after I had to take prednisone. Also my vit. d level is almost undetectable and I do have a hypothyroid. So I again am going to increase my vit d and stick with it. I would really like to get off my antidepressant meds also but I will tackle one problem at a time. BTW I am now on Cymbalta which seems to allow me to lose some weight.

Yes it is difficult when you are on meds... I upped my D3 from 4000 to 10000 yesterday to see if I start seeing any difference myself... Read an article on the net about Magnesium Glycinate and how someone cured their depression that way...very interesting article....http://george-eby-research.com/html...on-anxiety.html...

TJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 13:37

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Yes it is difficult when you are on meds... I upped my D3 from 4000 to 10000 yesterday to see if I start seeing any difference myself... Read an article on the net about Magnesium Glycinate and how someone cured their depression that way...very interesting article....http://george-eby-research.com/html...on-anxiety.html...

TJ

Skee, please let me know if upping vitamin D it makes any difference with you. I don't know much about the stuff but it seems to help me a ton. The magnesium article was indeed interesting and it makes some sense to me that if lithium is an effective treatment for bipolar disorder that other mineral salts should benefit brain chem too. One thing I didn't see was whether any side effects were noted; we already know that lithium causes weight gain in most...but I showed magnesium and iron deficiencies when I was about ten years old. That tells me that something was up a long time ago.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 15:51

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangy
Skee, please let me know if upping vitamin D it makes any difference with you. I don't know much about the stuff but it seems to help me a ton. The magnesium article was indeed interesting and it makes some sense to me that if lithium is an effective treatment for bipolar disorder that other mineral salts should benefit brain chem too. One thing I didn't see was whether any side effects were noted; we already know that lithium causes weight gain in most...but I showed magnesium and iron deficiencies when I was about ten years old. That tells me that something was up a long time ago.

Hey Tangy, well it has only been a short time and there are some days when I forget to take it but I haven't noticed any change yet... Going to give it some time though...crossing my fingers! I'm going to wait until September to start the Magnesium... It is a very fascinating article...

TJ
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-08, 14:07

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Read an article on the net about Magnesium Glycinate and how someone cured their depression that way...very interesting article....http://george-eby-research.com/html...on-anxiety.html...

TJ

I stumbled across that article a few years back and asked my psychiatrist about it. He said in effect, don't bother. I ignored him and took magnesium glycinate, 1,000 mg the first day. I was hoping for a gradual improvement maybe in a month's time at best, but I woke up the next day feeling like my black and white world had suddenly gone Technicolor! I quit my psych meds (Zoloft, Provigil) that day and haven't gone back to them or the doc. Magnesium cleared up my dry skin -- I was buying bath oil by the gallon -- and in a few months time also cold hands/feet and low body temp.

Eby recommends magnesium taurate nowadays, btw. I take that, and vary it with mg glycinate, mg orotate, mg malate too.

Last edited by JLx : Sun, Sep-21-08 at 18:35.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-08, 17:13

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%

you ladies are great! Everyone here has hit it all on the head including our husband/friends. My HB is supper skinny that eats crackers, chips and drinks pop all day. He doesn't understand, if he judges me, he does it under his breath now. He has finally learned his leasons!

keep it up ladies!

LC is WOL!!!